Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-17-1999, 01:25 PM

Default What\'s an A/D hybrid user to buy?

As a potential new Digidesign user I thought my venture into HD recording would be easy. Buy a audio/midi sequencer, a digidesign HD recorder, a new g4, a few other items and I
would be set. After reading many threads here, I know it is not quite that simple. I have a specific way I like to work and it seems the world is going in another direction for the moment.

Except for the last year, I've been out of the midi and music game for about 7 years, so I consider myself a DAW newbie. In the past I was heavily into Performer and I'm a Software Engineer by profession so I like powerful computer applications and hardware that I won't soon outgrow.

The main thing I want to do with my music is write and produce r&b/hiphop/dance. I'm not a
huge fan of doing everything in one system like the digi001 or a complete PT setup. I actually like the sound of analog mixers. Anybody read "The Inside Dope On HIP HOP MIXING" in the November issue of Mix?

I want to record and edit tracks on a HD based system. I also want to work with audio and midi in the same application preferably. I can't imagine working without a midi time piece or equivalent. I want to mix with my 24 channel inline mixer that has 48 channels at mix. I need 16 maybe 24 HD tracks with 16 outputs being fine, 8 inputs would be enough. I know I might want to do some submixing in the DAW with one or two plugins but that's about it. While I'm running 16 or 24 tracks of audio plus at least as many midi tracks, I need to go back into PT when I want to master so I can burn CDs, all in real time with one DAW/midi recording system.

For any who care to reply, what should I buy?
1) Where is the midi section of PT5.0 suppose to fit into the sequencer wars, is it going to take me back 10 years in functionality?

2) What midi interface on par with a midi time piece will work well with PT5.0 if I don't use DP, Logic or one of the others?

3) Is there a good marriage between PT and one of the Major audio sequencers? I've heard digi and motu is not very cooperative toward each other.

4) Of the three PT systems, What would I gain or miss, based on my listed needs, by getting a mix or mix plus over the base system. I really don't want to spend this kind of money and get a sluggish system for the way I want to work.

5) What interface choices do I have that fulfills my 8in/16out requirements? Does all my interface choices have to be digidesign?

6) Is there anything I am missing or you just want to suggets?

BTW, I have a new g4 on order with the new 'sawtooth' motherboard and System 9. I understand compatibility is a present issue, but I will wait until digi catches up if I go with PT.

Thanks in advance for your advice.