Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > FireWire & USB Audio Interfaces (Mac)

Old 01-26-2021, 05:49 PM

Default Using MBox Pro and 002R simultaneously

Does any one know if I can use Mbox Pro and 002R at the same time to increase the number of inputs and outputs? They both work independently with the system described in my signature. I tried to chain them using firewire 800 to 400 cable. Computer sees each one but in I/O setup only one or the other shows up depending on playback engine. Any suggestions? Thank you very much.

RocktheKnobs
MBox Pro, Digi002
PT 10.9
16 GB 1333 MHz DDR3
Old 01-26-2021, 06:05 PM

Default Re: Using MBox Pro and ))@r simultaneously

How are you expecting this to work?

There is no firewire "chaining" supported by these interfaces.

The Digi 002 does not support aggregate IO so that won't work, and using CoreAudio aggregate IO is a last resort at best.

The Digi 002 has ADAT In and Out but it needs to be used as the interface for ADAT or any other signal routing to work. The 003 has no ADAT at all... you could get S/PDIF out of the Mbox 3 into the 002 for at least two channels by configuring the Mbox 3 to do that in standalone mode and the 002 to be your interface.

But all this is really a waste of time for not much benefit. The 002 converters show their age and are just not great. The Mbox 3 has limited expansion with no ADAT... so if I needed more IO I'd be ditching both interfaces and buying a box with more IO capacity and expandability.

Lots of nice interfaces from vendors including UAD, Apogee, Motu, Focusrite, etc. If you describe what IO and features you need and an idea of a budget folks here can make specific suggestions.
Old 01-29-2021, 12:40 PM

Default Re: Using MBox Pro and ))@r simultaneously

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
so if I needed more IO I'd be ditching both interfaces and buying a box with more IO capacity and expandability.

Lots of nice interfaces from vendors including UAD, Apogee, Motu, Focusrite, etc. If you describe what IO and features you need and an idea of a budget folks here can make specific suggestions.
What Darryl said and I would add Presonus to the list of interface options. Knowing what connections you have on your computer is another thing to consider. Firewire is pretty much a dinosaur. USB2 works okay for not too many IO(like 16 or so). Thunderbolt is probably best, but if your computer doesn't have it, you probably cannot add it(and a newer computer isn't cheap). You can add a USBc card to most desktop machines and Presonus has a line that can use that(quite happy with my Presonus Studio1810c).

Alternately, dump the Mbox and add a good lightpipe preamp to your existing 002R. Lots of options here and quality(even at the low end) will match or beat the 002. My highest recommendation goes to the Midas XL48, followed by the Audient ASP800

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave