Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-12-2012, 12:38 AM

Default Re: Mac Pro Updated (Slightly)

Quote:
Originally Posted by M-ManLA View Post

No Blu-ray option, no Thunderbolt, no USB 3.0. I think they missed a huge boat, and Dell and HP will capitalize on it.
Do people really switch platforms over hardware? I know I couldn't. I interact with the OS, not the box. My single processor 2.8 Harpertown from 2008 still seems pretty darn powerful.

Mixing and Mastering click here to get started.
Old 06-12-2012, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmazurek View Post
Do people really switch platforms over hardware? I know I couldn't. I interact with the OS, not the box. My single processor 2.8 Harpertown from 2008 still seems pretty darn powerful.
It depends. For something like a VI slave, the OS platform is relatively irrelevant to your workflow(assuming it's stable). I bought an i7 PC for a slave simply because it was less than half the cost of a nehalem mac pro and had essentially the same performance. I load my VI template, and from there on out I don't touch anything in the windows OS until I shut down, unless there is a problem. For your main machine, it makes much more of a difference, and I personally would never want windows to be my primary OS. Too much BS, tweaking, etc.... every windows machine that I've tried to use for anything other than a dedicated slave machine has always needed constant troubleshooting.

I was really hoping to eventually ditch my VI slave PC in favor of a new mac pro, simply because I hate the Windows OS, but without stuff like thunderbolt, SATA 3.0, or ivy bridge CPUs, I'm not seeing it being cost effective at all. The quad model mac pro is not much different than my current slave PC, and even after re-selling the PC, the price of the 12 core mac pro is still a lot more than it would be to just add a second PC... I'm guessing 2 i7 quad PCs are either equal to or not very far behind the performance of a 12 core mac pro.

If a MIDI event triggers a sample of a tree falling and there's no one there to hear it, does it make a sound?
Old 06-12-2012, 10:49 AM

Updates Next Year?
Old 06-12-2012, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffrey Talbot View Post
Wouldn't hold my breath. Remember that these people were the same ones saying the iMac and MacPro would get significant updates THIS year.

QAPLA!
Old 06-12-2012, 05:57 PM

Actually, this has now been 100% confirmed by Apple executives and the Apple PR department.
Old 06-13-2012, 02:46 AM

Looks like they are waiting for the Xeon Ivy Bridges. Still 3yrs when it will be release, that thing better know how to remote start my car by the time it comes out!

Pro Tools 12, Sibelius First 7/Presonus Studio 192/Windows 10 Pro
Old 06-13-2012, 03:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nst7 View Post
Actually, this has now been 100% confirmed by Apple executives and the Apple PR department.
Not exactly. It was confirmed that there would be something exiting for the pro user, but it was never explicitly stated that it would be a Mac Pro, AFAIK.

D
Windows 7 (x64)Pro
RME Multiface II
Intensity
ATI HD5400 series graphics card
Old 06-13-2012, 03:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarylG View Post
Not exactly. It was confirmed that there would be something exiting for the pro user, but it was never explicitly stated that it would be a Mac Pro, AFAIK.

D
Tim Cook himself has promised a Mac Pro update around 2013. In an email confirmed authentic by Apple PR.

http://www.latimes.com/business/tech...,1504770.story
Old 06-13-2012, 03:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevedemena View Post
Tim Cook himself has promised a Mac Pro update around 2013. In an email confirmed authentic by Apple PR.

http://www.latimes.com/business/tech...,1504770.story
As I said, he hasn't confirmed that the "something great" will be a Mac Pro. Please are just assuming that this is what he was talking about. He could easily have said "we are planning a really great update to the Mac Pro range next year". He didn't, so I wouldn't assume anything at this point.

D
Windows 7 (x64)Pro
RME Multiface II
Intensity
ATI HD5400 series graphics card
Old 06-13-2012, 07:15 AM

Apple confirmed it separately to Forbes magazine, even to the point of correcting a previous error:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/conniegu...s-due-in-2013/

And they confirmed Tim Cook's email was legit. It has now been confirmed by about 3 execs and the PR department. It's for real.