Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion

Old 05-22-2013, 11:58 PM

Default Rumours that Avid is to follow Adobe's lead to cloud-based computing

There are multiple rumours that Avid is to follow Adobe's lead to cloud-based computing only. i.e. you will only be able to rent/lease ProTools hardware and software by this time next year.

Last edited by DigiTechSupt; 05-29-2013 at 10:46 AM. Reason: Tangent moved to own thread from the "Greenfield resigns..." thread.
Old 05-23-2013, 02:43 AM

Default Re: Rumours that Avid is to follow Adobe's lead to cloud-based computing

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Byre View Post
There are multiple rumours that Avid is to follow Adobe's lead to cloud-based computing only. i.e. you will only be able to rent/lease ProTools hardware and software by this time next year.
I hope that this remains a rumor!
Old 05-23-2013, 04:52 AM

Default Re: Rumours that Avid is to follow Adobe's lead to cloud-based computing

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCM View Post
I hope that this remains a rumor!
Same here. Glad I purchased Adobe Audition CS6 a couple of months back before this happened. Adobe was giving the option of going cloud based with a monthly subscription rate versus purchasing outright and I went for outright purchase.

Let me put forth a dangerous scenario: say Avid goes to monthly subscription and no longer offers outright purchase of software and hardware. What's to stop them from changing your iLok asset to the new scheme? Next time you go to synch your iLok/add new licenses and you find out your PT asset has changed.

QAPLA!
Old 05-23-2013, 05:21 AM

Quote:
Can you post a link to this?

If a MIDI event triggers a sample of a tree falling and there's no one there to hear it, does it make a sound?
Old 05-23-2013, 08:35 AM

I may have started one of those rumors based on conversations I've had with some old friends in the broadcasting and post production business. Their corporate owners have been selling off all of their capital investment and begun leasing absolutely everything. It makes their perceived value look better to stockholders while allowing them to more easily keep up with new technology. These are Avid and Adobe's biggest customers. I think it may explain a number of Avid's recent moves including the management change and the need to straighten out their accounting in spite of knowing it would be a PR disaster.

Putting together Apple and Microsoft's app stores, Adobe's Creative Cloud and Microsoft's Office 365, we're probably looking at some mighty big changes in how we relate to the next generation of software.
Old 05-23-2013, 08:58 AM

Google shows up piece...its a cache link, as the new one is pdf.
and its from 2011
https://webcache.googleusercontent.c...&gbv=2&ct=clnk
Old 05-25-2013, 03:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay_uk View Post
Google shows up piece...its a cache link, as the new one is pdf.
and its from 2011
https://webcache.googleusercontent.c...&gbv=2&ct=clnk
Thanks for the link, Jay!

I am very suspicious about some of the cloud-based business models, because they
1. may drive the customer more into a dependency,
2. may compromise customer privacy,
3. are designed to strengthen the position of business AT THE COST of the position of the customers (so no win-win situation).
Old 05-25-2013, 05:37 AM

There is NO WAY I will be connected to the net just to run software that I bought. I KNOW I don't OWN any software I have purchased, but bottom line is for every bit of software that does this, that is one less on my system...

Avid is NOT that big a fish in a lot of folks eyes anymore...
Old 05-25-2013, 07:59 AM

You don't have to be connected to use the Adobe stuff, other than once a month for them to check eligibility. You still install and use the software like before.
Old 05-25-2013, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nst7 View Post
You don't have to be connected to use the Adobe stuff, other than once a month for them to check eligibility. You still install and use the software like before.
And pay them once a month just like your utility bills
Like I said I'm lucky I got Audition before they went the mandatory subscription mode - at least I understand it's mandatory from now on.

QAPLA!