Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video

Old 01-07-2012, 08:26 PM

Default iZotope workflow with protools 10

My sessions start on ISIS. I prefer in most cases to use the iZotope stand alone app. I select the clip that I want to use with iZotope. Consoldate region saves it to my local drive. I then open with iZotope from the finder. When I save from iZotope I can see the changes in the finder. The audio in my session does not change. If I drag the file from the finder and spot it back in I still hear the uniZotoped audio. I am guessing that because the file is the same name it still plays the audio that is stored in ram. If I quit and restart the session all is well. Does anyone know if there is a way to force the timeline to reload into ram without restarting the session.

Thanks
Old 01-07-2012, 08:59 PM

Are you batch processing the audio from your session audio files folder. I am using about the same workflow and changes are visable on pt re launch after batch processing

Sent from my MB200 using Tapatalk
Old 01-08-2012, 02:45 PM

Default Re: iZotope workflow with protools 10

If you change the size of the RAM Cache, it will reCache the timeline. This will give you your updated audio without opening and closing the session.

You need to wait for the entire timeline to be cached before playing though otherwise you run the risk of it not updating. You'll also need to recalculate the waveform overview if you want to see that change.

Its not perfect but it works.
Old 01-09-2012, 03:50 AM

I always close the tools project(not quit), then enter standalone Izo. Works for me quite well.
While on the subject if iZotope, has anyone noticed RX2 doing some strange things in Audiosuite? I was declicking today, opened the audiosuite plug, and when I selected whole file, I would end up with silence in the new clip about 10% of the time, but when I used the normal handles option, it worked fine.
Old 01-09-2012, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JChappell View Post
My sessions start on ISIS. I prefer in most cases to use the iZotope stand alone app. I select the clip that I want to use with iZotope. Consoldate region saves it to my local drive. I then open with iZotope from the finder. When I save from iZotope I can see the changes in the finder. The audio in my session does not change. If I drag the file from the finder and spot it back in I still hear the uniZotoped audio. I am guessing that because the file is the same name it still plays the audio that is stored in ram. If I quit and restart the session all is well. Does anyone know if there is a way to force the timeline to reload into ram without restarting the session.

Thanks
I'm assuming RX is the application ...

"Save as" from RX with a different name.
"Set Output Options" - uncheck "preserve non audio data"
Drag from the finder, not from a Digi browser.

It's a giant PITA, as there is no way to default those settings. I have talked to iZotope about it, they acknowledge it's a bug, but they haven't fixed it yet.

kasper
Old 01-09-2012, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyDazzler View Post
I always close the tools project(not quit), then enter standalone Izo. Works for me quite well.
While on the subject if iZotope, has anyone noticed RX2 doing some strange things in Audiosuite? I was declicking today, opened the audiosuite plug, and when I selected whole file, I would end up with silence in the new clip about 10% of the time, but when I used the normal handles option, it worked fine.
This is a known issue introduced with PT10. Izotope isn't the only plugin behaving like this in AS. I think Serato PnT was another. Neyrinck Dolby E had it but there has been a fix on Neyrinck's part. Best to just turn handles off for now.

AFAIK it is in the hands of the plugin makers to do the fix to accommodate the new handle feature.
Old 01-09-2012, 12:04 PM
Quiet Art Ltd.

Looking forward to RX fix the handles issue. It is the plugin that handles do need to work properly for.

WaveRider + Defaulter (now with LKFS)
QuietArt.co.nz

Catchin' SYNC app
Old 01-10-2012, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by laki View Post
This is a known issue introduced with PT10. Izotope isn't the only plugin behaving like this in AS. I think Serato PnT was another. Neyrinck Dolby E had it but there has been a fix on Neyrinck's part. Best to just turn handles off for now.

AFAIK it is in the hands of the plugin makers to do the fix to accommodate the new handle feature.
That may be the case (I'm still mostly on 9) but not the issue the OP has. He's taking about opening/exporting from the stand-alone app, not a plug.

Anyway ..... would be nice to get all the bugs fixed, eh.

kasper
Old 01-10-2012, 11:43 AM

Seems like a good (and reasonably simple) addition for Avid to add to PtX would be an option to 'refresh' a clip from Hard disk into RAM. -or/and refresh all clips. for those that have workflows where the original file is changed using a different application.

We're still on Pt9 and also work often by destructively overwriting sound files with new versions -Pt needs to be able to update and play the new versions on the fly.

I guess you could also move the cursor to a new location in the timeline and the ram would eventually load the new version of the audio.

Is there really no way to force PtX to reload from disk into RAM? -other than the 2 time-consuming workarounds mentioned.

Thanks to OP for mentioning this issue.

Bruno
Old 01-25-2012, 11:01 AM

When working with iZotope or other noise reduction plugins, my workflow is to make a duplicate playlist of the track I'm working on and apply the FX as audiosuite there. That way, to hear the original audio all I've got to do is switch back to the unaffected playlist. I realize this doesn't exactly answer your question, but it's an alternate way to go about it.

-- Ryan Dorp