Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Getting Started

Old 11-25-2021, 10:33 AM

Default Inserting drum loops from the included library

I'm using Pro Tools First in Windows 10. When I create a new project, I'm given the option of a few different templates each named different genres of music, shown here, or the first thumbnail below:

Each template provides default settings typical to that genre and adds tracks named after the instruments typically used, but more importantly to me, it adds a drum loop. What's more, I can then right click on the drum-loop and select matching alternates, which are different drum-loops, shown here, or the second thumbnail below:

The list of matching alternates is not exhaustive. Is there a library buried somewhere in Pro Tools First that will allow me to review all the included drum loops and add them to my project? I'd like to hear all the different drum loops included but I don't know where they are located.

What I'd like to do is see an exhaustive list of all the different drum loops, listen to different drum loops and then select which one works for this project. How can I do this in Pro Tools First?
Attached Images
File Type: png Matching Alternates.png (19.9 KB, 0 views)
File Type: png Genres.PNG (35.9 KB, 0 views)
Old 11-25-2021, 11:55 AM

Default Re: Inserting drum loops from the included library

I'm not very familiar w/PTF, but I've known PT for a long time, and I wouldn't think that it would ever offer much in that type of functionality. It was created to be a multitrack audio recorder for computers, when that was a dream. So it's made to record and mix with, foremost. 3rd party developers like Addictive gives you much of what you're after; Samples, sounds toghether with midi libraries with beats and riffs, that you can build from, but sadly, PTF doesn't support 3rd party plugins. You need to buy PT Standard.
Old 11-25-2021, 05:01 PM

I think what you are looking for is called Soundbase, which is a media browser in Pro Tools that lets you see all of your sound libraries and allows you to audition them from within the Soundbase window.

System Details
Old 11-27-2021, 12:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by junkgear View Post
I think what you are looking for is called Soundbase, which is a media browser in Pro Tools that lets you see all of your sound libraries and allows you to audition them from within the Soundbase window.
You're right, of course.
I'm an idiot. I never use it, that's why I replied like I did.
You find it in the Window menu - New workspace - Soundbase. You can search, preview and drag'n'drop onto tracks.
Old 11-27-2021, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funkytable View Post
What I'd like to do is see an exhaustive list of all the different drum loops, listen to different drum loops and then select which one works for this project. How can I do this in Pro Tools First?
Unfortunately you can't, at least not with what is included in the template. The Matching Alternates menu option only allows you to see what the other options are that have already been imported into Pro Tools. Unlike audio, MIDI clips become part of the session file when imported and since these are already included in the template, there is no library of MIDI clips per se for you to access and preview.

On the other hand as has already been mentioned, drum VIs offer the ability to preview libraries of MIDI loops and the Workspace/Soundspace browser will allow you to preview whatever audio loops you collect or purchase. Just remember that any VI or plugin you want to use in Pro Tools First has to already be included or purchased through Avid's Marketplace.

Mac Studio, 64GB RAM, 1 TB SSD, Glyph 2TB USB3 HDD, OWC drive dock, Mac OS Monterey 12.6.8

Pro Tools Ultimate 2023.9, HD Native, Focusrite Red 8Pre

Presonus Faderport, Pro Tools | Control
Old 11-27-2021, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Jimmy View Post
On the other hand as has already been mentioned, drum VIs offer the ability to preview libraries of MIDI loops
Toontrack has stuff, not only drum VI's, that are great, reasonably priced and easy to use. EZDrummer, EZKeys, EZBass, EZMix and more. Sounds and grooves in the box. Recommended.

Edit: Of course, you'll still have to buy a regular version of PT. Or choose a different DAW.