Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Windows

Old 09-24-2014, 05:53 AM

Default How would I know ?

With no virus protection as recommended in the Pro Tools set up items, how can one tell if they have contracted a virus when strange things start to occur?
I rarely go on the internet, Only when absolutely necessary. Lately I am unable to operate due to interruptions such as DAE errors with only a bare minimum of audio tracks and no plug ins! Also, and this is strange, I have always recorded one track at a time, with line one as the input and main out L & R as the output. Now I am having outputs appear that have HD auto something or other as the output selection.(I'm not at my DAW right now so I hope this explanation is clear). I'm on PT's 9. I don't have HD. I have reduced my CPU usage to bare minimum and when I do select an insert such as eq 7 band, I process it as an Audio suite plug in. Do I need to submit another computer report? I'm on Win 7, 32 bit. Sweetwater has told me that there is no problems with their pc's and that they are purpose built for recording! I'm about to throw in the towel and take a look at Reaper! any suggestions?
Old 09-24-2014, 06:41 AM

Default Re: How would I know ?

Try doing a manual scan using Window's Defender, while not running Pro Tools. Select custom and select all drives. It may take an hour or more to do the full scan. Then go to history to see if any virus's or malware was detected and ask to remove them. You may want to write down the specific names of any items detected in case there are future problems. For example, on my Windows 8 computer I recently got a virus that Windows Defender appeared to detect and remove, but the next day it was still there. After some research on the internet, it appears that that particular virus is very sophisticated and Windows Defender is not able to deal with it, so I ended up restoring my entire operating system from an Acronis True Image backup I had done 6 months or so ago.

On my computer, the icon for Windows Defender looks like a brick wall and appears on the bottom taskbar. You may have to search around in Program Files if you hadn't previously created a shortcut on your desktop.

Digi 002 rack , Command 8, Behringer ADA 8000, Tascam M-320B Mixer, Alesis Monitor Two Speakers, Vintage and Modern Tube Amps, Fender American Strat, 1973 Gibson SB-450 Bass, Epiphone Les Paul Traditional Pro, Roland W-30 Keyboard, Preimier XPK Fusion Drum Kit.
Old 09-24-2014, 11:08 AM

thanks mslackeridge for your help. I'll give that a try. Also, I've seen a good many posts advising an Acronis true image backup. I have that program but I don't know how to use it. Can you help by advising me? Thanks
Old 09-24-2014, 12:16 PM

Hi Terry, True Image is pretty easy to use, especially if you stick to the basic features. I use it to back up my C:\ drives on all of my computers. For my audio drive on my Pro Tools Computer I do not use it, it is easier to simply drag (Copy) individual session files over to an external drive used just for backups.

I am using True Image 2009 so your version may be slightly different. Once you launch the program, click on "Backup and Restore" and the backup wizard pops up. It will identify all of your partitions (Drives) and you click which one you want (C:\ drive). Then hit next on the bottom of the box and it will bring up the next box where you specify which drive the backup will be stored under "Backup Location". I name the backup file with the date, for example "D:\Acronis Backups\9.24.14.tib" (without the quotes). Hit Next, I check "Do not Schedule" because I am running the task manually. Next box, select Full. Next box, files to exclude, I don't exclude any. Next box, I don't enter a password or select encription. Next box, I don't select anything. Next box is for comments. You can put whatever you want here. The next box is a summary of what you have set up. Check "Run Task Now" on the bottom and hit proceed.

If you ever have to restore the entire C:\ drive you will need to insert the Acronis disk and reboot the machine. If it ever comes to that, just ask for help here on the forum. If you just lost some individual files, you can also selectively restore just them from the backup. The best time to do a backup is when everything is working fine. Also, before you are about to install some big new program, and after the install went fine and you are satisfied. Other than that, I do a backup about every 3 months, and keep the last 2 or 3, deleting the oldest ones.

Give it a try, you can't hurt anything doing the backup. It's doing a selective restore where you have to be careful not to overwrite files you didn't intend to.

Digi 002 rack , Command 8, Behringer ADA 8000, Tascam M-320B Mixer, Alesis Monitor Two Speakers, Vintage and Modern Tube Amps, Fender American Strat, 1973 Gibson SB-450 Bass, Epiphone Les Paul Traditional Pro, Roland W-30 Keyboard, Preimier XPK Fusion Drum Kit.
Old 09-24-2014, 06:53 PM

Of course, the best time to backup is right after a clean install, then you know there is no viruses. Not much point backing up an infected drive.

Here is a great tool to use to get rid of a virus/malware and it's free (read the instructions on how to use it);
http://www.vipreantivirus.com/live/

Motherboard: Gigabyte Z690 AERO D
CPU: Intel Alder Lake Core i9-12900K
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15S
RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR5 64GB (2x 32gb 5200MHz)
Drives: 2 x Samsung 980 Pro 2TB NVME PCIE 4.0 M.2 SSD (Record & Samples)
1 x Samsung 980 Pro 1TB NVME PCIE 4.0 M.2 SSD (OS Win 11 Pro)

GPU:Gigabyte GeForce RTX 3060 12GB GDDR6 PCIE 4
PSU: Corsair HX Series HX850 Platinim
CASE: Fractal Define XL R2
PT 11HD (v11.3.2) Omni s/pdif <> AxeFxIII
HD 96I/O
Old 09-25-2014, 05:36 AM

mslackeridge. Thanks very much for your in depth and detailed instructions. Yesterday I updated my Windows drivers,(which had never been done since purchasing the pc). I also updated Pro Tools 9 and I hope that will solve some of the problems I'm having. I'll print out your instructions for doing a system back up and restore with true image and how to detect virus with Windows defender. Again, Thank You.
Old 09-25-2014, 05:39 AM

That's a big help zedhed . I'm all in for free and automatic. Thanks.
Old 09-25-2014, 06:06 AM

Acronis True Image saved my butt a few months ago. I got a virus (okay, I was at a web site that I shouldn't have been at ) and bam! It had me. I simply booted to Acronis True Image on a rescue thumb drive and restored from my external HD. Problem gone.

JTW
Old 09-25-2014, 05:14 PM

+1000 for drive imaging(Acronis is also my choice, but there are others). Re virus and such, about every 6 months or so, I will download Avast, Spybot and Malwarebytes, install>update>run>uninstall (after clean scans).

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 09-26-2014, 05:18 AM

Thanks albee.