Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 9
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-05-2010, 03:00 PM

Default PT 9 ALMOST had me, Avid!! (i'm really crying...)

YOU HAD ME, AVID!! YOU DID! MY WALLET WAS OUT!

I'm an LE version 5 and + user... and I was ready to upgrade from PT8 to 9. I was so happy to think that PT9 meant that my bi-software workflow days were 90% over! (Now using PT MP 8 with Cakewalk SONAR PRODUCER 8.5...)

I'm just a PROFIRE LIGHTBRIDGE owner who only wants to use his PROFIRE fully to do live show recordings AND mid-budget post-production work!

Pro Tools 9 HAD IT ALL.... until I saw this....

NO INPUT MONITORING??? IS THIS TRUE?? Tell me that I'm not getting it right!

Might as well ask a painter to paint with his eyes shut! (... I know, he could paint abstract paintings... so I guess I'll have to produce abstract music??)

No input monitoring = deal-braker...

I understand that AVID still wants to give their best products to the HD customers, but... sigh.

SO... i'll still be recording about 32 tracks of audio using SONAR, then export those to Pro-Tools when I can afford to go in a "big" studio. AND I'm still going to import OMF sessions in SONAR and do post in it even if I know that I prefer to mix in PT... (not to mention here the absence of the SMPTE timecode in PT MP...)

AVID, you ALMOST had the good logic here, regarding some kind of a project-flow!! Something like "from the low-budget projects found in communities INTO the big production (HD equipped) facilities when budget allows it!"

... but do not worry, SONAR X1 will not get my money either this year...

SOBS...
Yamaha 01v96
Behringer ADA8000
PT M-Powered 8
Win 7 64 bits
Dell Studio 17 (core I7)
Sony Sound Forge / CD Architect / Vegas
Cakewalk Sonar Producer 8.5
ADOBE CS5
Old 11-05-2010, 03:03 PM

Default Re: PT 9 ALMOST had me, Avid!! (i'm really crying...)

I just checked and it has the same "Input Only" monitoring and "Auto Monitoring" as before...
Old 11-05-2010, 03:09 PM

REALLY?? Whew!!

I GOT IT WRONG! HURRRAY !!! PT does allow INPUT MONITORING ! I'm just to dumb to understand correctly the first time !!!

... but i'll check the feature-list again after having a little beer...

I was just a little dumb... woohoo... just a little .... woohoo... PT 9 !!

LOL!

Thanks for your answer. I'll calm down eventually...
Yamaha 01v96
Behringer ADA8000
PT M-Powered 8
Win 7 64 bits
Dell Studio 17 (core I7)
ADOBE CS5
Old 11-05-2010, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearhead2010 View Post
I just checked and it has the same "Input Only" monitoring and "Auto Monitoring" as before...
I discovered this in PT 8 M-Powered. What's missing is an independent track by track input monitor selection. When you record enable a track and the transport is stopped (or in record), you hear the incoming audio. When you play, you hear whatever audio is on the track. In HD at this point you can click the input monitor button that switches to incoming audio.

IIRC, Input Only monitoring will switch all record-enabled tracks to incoming audio while playing.

So what's missing is input monitoring SOME of the record enabled tracks, or hearing incoming audio for tracks that are not record enabled.
Old 11-05-2010, 03:24 PM

If PT9 still handle things about input monitoring as it did in version 8, I am happy with it!

In live situations, I want to listen to every track... i just MUTE the ones I do not need to listen to at a given time.

GREAT News for me... at last! I'll get the VST wrapper and a decent multi-band compressor into PT 9 and mix away!!

Sad that I sold my DIGI 002 only a couple of months ago... LOL

Now i'll double-check the feature list about mixing and automation, as I suspect something might have been stripped-down a little there... but surely I am wrong about that...
Yamaha 01v96
Behringer ADA8000
PT M-Powered 8
Win 7 64 bits
Dell Studio 17 (core I7)
ADOBE CS5
Old 11-05-2010, 03:57 PM

Hi,

According to the comparison list only HD native has input monitoring!

Just a heads up on the wrapper and VST's. it only works with VST2 not VST3

Chris

Producer, Engineer,
UKmastering Mixing & Mastering
Blinders_Columbia top 40 UK album charts
Slow Readers Club Joy Of The Return #9 UK album charts

www.ukmastering.com

PT10.3.10 Mountain Lion HD6 accel Magma PE6R4 D Command 32 MacPro 12 Core 3.46ghz UAD-2 Octo x2. Manley Vari-Mu, Manley Massive Passive, SSL VHD, ADL600, Grove Tubes ViPre, Tube-Tech CL-1B. Hafler TRM active monitoring.
Old 11-05-2010, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crizdee View Post
According to the comparison list only HD native has input monitoring!
As has been posted here and elsewhere... PT9 includes Input Monitoring as it always has in LE.. It just doesn't have the INPUT BUTTONS for individual track inputs.

Rail
••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
Old 11-05-2010, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rail Jon Rogut View Post
As has been posted here and elsewhere... PT9 includes Input Monitoring as it always has in LE.. It just doesn't have the INPUT BUTTONS for individual track inputs.

Rail

I'm still wondering if we can turn the monitoring off completely. I just want protools to play what is on the track ONLY even during punch in. Just play, arrive at punch, record (silent), arrive at punch out, play track. No mute button toggling, no input button, nothing, just my punch selection and the ; & p keys (stacking ewww - someone's gotta do it). "Track only monitoring" is what I want.

I use a FF800 for the CR and HP mix, does a great job at all of this, no need to get the delayed vocal mixing in with the "no-latency" vocals problem once I'm punching in.

*Still buying it though can't resist, they have pretty much listened to what everyone was asking for and put it in the release.
Old 11-05-2010, 05:19 PM

That's a very unconventional work flow and not supported. We used to use the Dolby 361's back in the day to do that only because we didn't have Input Switching on the 3M 79.. but since Pro Tools has Input Switching it's not a big requirement.

You could try unlinking the Record and Playback faders and put the Record fader at infinity... but I'd suggest using a more conventional (1980's) workflow.

Rail
••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
Old 11-05-2010, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rail Jon Rogut View Post
That's a very unconventional work flow and not supported. We used to use the Dolby 361's back in the day to do that only because we didn't have Input Switching on the 3M 79.. but since Pro Tools has Input Switching it's not a big requirement.

You could try unlinking the Record and Playback faders and put the Record fader at infinity... but I'd suggest using a more conventional (1980's) workflow.

Rail
If its not supported, cool.

But, its unconventional to you, not to everyone. Nuendo, Logic, Sonar, Live have had this feature for a long time. I'm not saying that they are superior in any way as every DAW has its quirks, just that it is conventional to a degree.