How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > Avid S4/S6
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-18-2015, 07:50 AM

Default repetitive actions and knobs wear

Hi Guys, specially Eddie.

I`m starting to love the expand mode, and so it called my attention that it repetitive use could cause some wear to some knobs because the way it was implemented:

Exemple: I use a equality plug-in in the second insert slot on most of my channels (insert B). So every time i call the expand mode on a channel strip, the instances are moved to the fair left knobs of the module, and then I all ways press the second knob to expand the Equality plug-in. So independent of the channel strip I`m I all ways will press the same second knob, in the left most knobs strip to expand my Equality. Ok? Do you follow me?

So I start to think that it may cause to some specific knbos to deteriorate faster then others.

I guess it would be necessary to change the way the expand is implemented, how it starts, like stop this moving. Is it possible to us to select the plug-ins to expand in the channel it belongs and the it expands?

Do you guys agree with me?

Thanks.
-----
Old 06-18-2015, 08:21 AM

Default Re: repetitive actions and knobs wear

Did you actually notice some wear, or it's just something you feel might happen? I had an ICON for 10 years and I was hitting some knobs zillion times, but never noticed any wear or malfunction. This S6 thing seems to be very well built, and I cannot foresee any physical damage resulting from everyday normal use.

For example, I expand the EQ in a different way: 1. hit the eq button on the strip, 2. hit the exp button. If i want to switch to dynamics, I simply hit the Dyn button on the strip.

Now, there are some workflows that need serious polishing, and I hope to see some improvements in that so much announced V2.
Old 06-18-2015, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Branko View Post
Did you actually notice some wear, or it's just something you feel might happen? I had an ICON for 10 years and I was hitting some knobs zillion times, but never noticed any wear or malfunction. This S6 thing seems to be very well built, and I cannot foresee any physical damage resulting from everyday normal use.

For example, I expand the EQ in a different way: 1. hit the eq button on the strip, 2. hit the exp button. If i want to switch to dynamics, I simply hit the Dyn button on the strip.

Now, there are some workflows that need serious polishing, and I hope to see some improvements in that so much announced V2.

Not. No. Nada. Nothing at all. I just wondering. I used to mix a lot on S5 that with years of repetitive use got some mal functions buttons. And here in Brazil, even with all the support plan, if I got one module broken I will be left waiting for several months to get it fixed.

But thanks very much for your tip Branko. It is exact what I`m looking for. I will try to use the way you do.
-----
Old 06-18-2015, 11:02 AM
Avid

You should be good with the Knobs ;-) Like anything though things can go wrong....the S5 had very good switches but there were occasions when the manufacturing failed and caused them to fail early. We do everything we can to ensure reliability whilst trying to keep your cost down.
See you back in this thread in 5-10 years...see how its going;-)
Old 11-21-2015, 12:19 AM

Bringing an old thread back. After 9 months a button that gets regular use, Preview mode toggle, physically broke this week, the button cap became loose and wobbles around in its hole. It still works depending on how you press. A few other switches that get regular use require less pressure to "snap" than they did when new, I hope it is nothing to worry about. I actually prefer less pressure as long as the tactile snap is okay.

I am still under warranty and Avid over-nighted a replacement module to swap for the broken switch. Kudos for their support team response! They called me and sorted it out within 5 minutes of my online support request! Amazing!

Last edited by Postman; 11-21-2015 at 07:21 AM.
Old 11-21-2015, 10:18 AM

At my work we have five S6 consoles. They have been under use for the past year and a half; 16 hours a day, 6 days a week. But not heavy handed use. In our experience the buttons have been the weakest part on the S6. Knobs and faders have been the most resilient.

In each console we have had at least one (sometimes two) fader modules that have had to be replaced due to broken buttons. Mutes, modifiers, and channel automation buttons have been the first to go. The mutes by far are the most prone to breaking. It seems like the supports under the button break and then half of the button drops below the bezel. We also have replaced two monitor displays. On one console we had to replace the automation/transport module due to broken soft key displays. The buttons worked we just couldn't see what they button was. We also had to replace one knob module because all of the buttons dropped down so their tops were in line with the bezel. The buttons could not be pressed.

I don't know, but would assume buttons can be repaired individually. In our case the engineers have always completely replaced the affected modules.

For reference, we had d-commands before the S6 consoles. I wasn't around at the time but I've been told that while they did have some things break, we have had more breakage with the S6 consoles in the past year and a half than the entire 10 years with the d commands.
Old 11-21-2015, 11:37 AM

My very first observation about the S6 was how tiny and chintzy the buttons were. Contrasted with what an improvement the faders were. I don't beat down on my consoles but when you're mixing you do tend to punch the oft-used buttons with some force.

I wonder if it is the caps or the actual switch that is the weak point.
Old 11-21-2015, 01:52 PM

I had the exact same observation about the button switches on day one. They feel very cheap and I've been trying to handle them "with kid gloves", as I feared this would be a problem.

I swapped modules this morning and the loose cap fell out entirely. The actual switch under it seems okay. I haven't peered inside a module but I'll guess the button caps are held above the tact switches by some mechanism (plastic no doubt) under the bezel, which broke. There was nothing rattling around inside my broken module.

Buttons will be a continuing weakness for years to come. I really do enjoy the faders and knobs though.
Old 11-23-2015, 02:25 AM

Our 2 S6s have none of this problem yet, however, I noticed that some of the solo and mute buttons started to feel strange when pressed. As much as I love the S6, I think the buttons are flimsy built ones, I guess it's only the button itself and not the support behind them.
Old 02-10-2016, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Postman View Post
Preview mode toggle, physically broke this week, the button cap became loose and wobbles around in its hole. It still works depending on how you press.
Sadly, this has happened again on the replacement module we swapped in 3 months ago. Same button, same symptom. The preview button, like a few other automation and layout buttons, gets a lot of use. I do not know if I have been harder on it than all others, I don't think so, but it is disturbing. This will be covered under my first year's warranty which expires next month. By coincidence only yesterday I renewed hardware coverage for all modules for the next year. I think it is a good insurance policy.