Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-15-2010, 09:52 AM

Lightbulb Feature request : Input Monitoring OFF

Hello,

First post here.

We're doing the monitoring of the artists thru an analog console and we would really really appreciate if you could add a input monitoring OFF option to PT HD.

Currently, when we punch in, the input is automatically switched in and thus we have at that point 2 signal (the signal from the track + the direct analog signal from the console) .

What we ask is an option that would mute the armed track as soon as we punch in.

I know many other engineers who would enjoy such feature.
And digital performer allow this already !

Please !

ricordu
Old 09-15-2010, 10:18 AM

Default Re: Feature request : Input Monitoring OFF

Most monitor at the end of the chain. (Hence, auto input just like tape)
You could mute the PT's track or mute/un-bus your record channel from the mix path.
There is a pref for mute on transport stop.
Old 09-15-2010, 10:28 AM

DP has it because it has to!!

PT is a realtime architecture and is meant to be monitored through. Is there a reason you're not doing this?

Mixing and Mastering click here to get started.
Old 09-15-2010, 12:20 PM

How do you do quick punches for musicians if you monitor thru analog board directly? The monitoring system of HD is one of the main things what make it as great as it is.
Old 09-16-2010, 01:15 AM

Hello all and thanks for your responses.

Sometimes, I also monitor at the end of the chain the resulting track, but I do have artists that want to hear their unconverted signal in their cue ( whatever hi end converter we use), they want direct analog.
Also, many vocalist want to hear themselves before the punch in point, so they can start singing on top of the playback before drop, in order to be right in tune at the moment of the punch.

Actually, the monitoring system of PT don't allow you to monitor at the same time the playback and the input simultaneously. Or maybe I'm missing some settings (something that would do like "merge input & playback on armed track", or "input muted on armed tracks") ?

I did tried to manually mute the armed track each time I punch in, but it's really not comfortable and too distractive to think about that each time.

Sure DP has it because it's latency (btw it also has the ability to sum both playback+input signal, though I prefer protools for many reasons), but why not adding a feature to PT that's dead easy to code, would help some and wouldn't hurt you either ?

Thanks for hearing,

Ricordu
Old 09-16-2010, 02:33 AM

I can imagine something like this being a "feature" would just baffle 99% of people. "WTF? I've gone into record and my track's just f**cking muted!" Cue lots more swearing....
Old 09-16-2010, 02:54 AM

Well, let me then rephrase this as a "preference", which would be off by default.

Something that would i.e. switch the I button (the input button, next to arm record), to P (standing for playback only) if one control+Alt+Click on it..
That way, you wouldn't even have a new thing in your menu/preference panel, and you won't even feel it's there. So no baffle

But me and other engineer who want to make monitoring thru analog console would be extremely happy !

Thanks,

Ricordu
Old 09-16-2010, 03:04 AM

Asked and answered in this thread.
http://duc.digidesign.com/showthread.php?t=279517

Learn to use the search function. It is your friend.
Old 09-16-2010, 03:33 AM

Hello,

I did looked thru the search results, and seen only a short reply from digi but in the LE forums. In the thread you mention, I do not see a 'reply' per see (more some ideas of workarounds that would still require manual editing or routing). But maybe I missed something in that thread or there were others threads I didn't catched ?

At least, there is other engineers concerned with the very same subject, like RKrizman,Danny Caccavo and Bob Olhsson

Best,

ricordu
Old 09-16-2010, 05:25 AM

I'm afraid I'm with Tweakhead. I've recorded lots of singers (haven't we all) and the ones that can sing just do it, the ones that can't...well they'll blame everything from the ambient lighting to the wrong type of ginger in their poncey tea.