Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools

Old 05-06-2022, 02:51 AM

Default Use Sync Points to Align More Than One Clip

I have defined sync points at exactly the same location in two separate clips in two tracks. I'd like to be able to align the sync points of both these clips to a point in another track at once. Using the select tool, I find the point in the clip in the first track and place the cursor there then hold shift and press the select down key. Now the cursor is sitting in both clips in two tracks. Then pressing the "Command+," shortcut, sync points are created for both clips. Then I move the cursor to a point in another track where I like to sync the two clips to. Using the prescribed method of holding the Ctrl and Shift keys and clicking on one of the clips using the time grabber will successfully move one clip to the "sync to" alignment point. Unfortunately for me, the operation moves the cursor to sync point of the first clip. In order to move the second clip I either have to move the cursor to the point in the track I want to "sync to", or move the cursor to the start of the clip that had just been synced and then Ctrl+Shift and click with the grabber tool.

Is there a way to move the two clips with sync points defined in one operation?
Old 05-06-2022, 03:47 AM

Default Re: Use Sync Points to Align More Than One Clip

Not possible. The best workaround is to create a clip group around the clips you want to align. Assign the sync marker to the group and then spot that to the position you want and remove the group.
Old 05-06-2022, 05:02 AM

Clip Group, Yes! Thank you Frank!
Old 05-06-2022, 10:46 AM

Clip groups is a lot of extra work for 3 clips (or most situations like this unless you have a lot.)

Faster:
  1. move playhead to where you want to sync align
  2. hold ctrl+shift, select first clip with sync point, clip sync point aligns to where playhead is and then selects that clip.
  3. ***hit Tab*** <- the "trick", it'll move the playhead to the sync point on the clip that has been completely selected previously
  4. ctrl+shift again and select second clip with sync point. After it aligns, clip will get completely selected
  5. ***hit Tab*** again
  6. repeat as needed.