Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-01-2003, 04:40 PM

Default cpu overload 6.0

In the past we have talked about cpu overload. Are eney of you still having this problem? Im still having the problem. What are some of your sugestions. When running a session with all tdm plugs no rtas i will get a error message of cpu overload- remove some rtas plugs and continue! I opened the system cpu monitor, and the bar graph will peg , but the protools monitor wont! On the other hand it will happen just the opp. I called the digi tech dept and he told me he didant know . He asked me how my pci cards were in order. I told him the factory agp card , exp chassis card. and in the chassis - mic core , mix farms and atto scsi. he told that was wrong that the scsi card needed to be in the mac? this was not an issue with os9? any ideas. Duel 867 , mix 24 , pt 6.0 , procontrol , expansion chassis , digi 128 kit . please e-mail me with reply's and poast please . I am going out of town and can receve them on my cell. Thanks [img]images/icons/confused.gif[/img]
Old 07-02-2003, 09:53 AM

Default Re: cpu overload 6.0

E-MAIL is [email protected] [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
Old 07-02-2003, 02:23 PM
Avid

Dan,

We recommend that you place the SCSI card in the CPU to avoid PCI bus errors. This is the same recommended setup as OS 9. The -6031 errors do seem to be related to the Sync I/O. I would recommend that you disconnect the SYNC I/O from the system when not in use. Also, make sure all of your drives are formatted with Disk Utility in OS X as HFS+ volumes.

Mike
Old 07-02-2003, 02:30 PM

I did unplug the I/O and it still happens.The protools bargraph for the pci buss runs about half way. The scsi card in the chassis may be the problem . Some times when bouncing to disk the error pops up.
Old 07-02-2003, 02:46 PM

SCSI is not the cause, I'm running a pure Firewire rig and have the same problems. If I raise the HW Buffer Size to maximum (8192) it happens more seldom.
Old 07-02-2003, 02:49 PM

quote from Digi tech support
"disconnect the SYNC I/O from the system when not in use. Also, make sure all of your drives are formatted with Disk Utility in OS X as HFS+ volumes."

Are we then to assume that the internal clock in the 192 is the same as the Sync I/O so therefore the is no real reason to clock to it in loop mode?
I have am Atto card in the CPU (dual 1.25) and still getting the CPU overload. Gauge shows CPU barely visable
www.classicrecording.com
Old 07-02-2003, 03:27 PM

mine to. on the pro tools meater. but on the cpu monitor in osx in the app. folder / then the utilities folder you will find the cpu monitor . then go to the processes tab at the top of the screan and choose a meater and run a session and tell me how mutch power you are running. mine is about 50% on both cpu's. this dont make sence. The magma tech told me i could run the scsi card in the chassis, and to set both channels to 20 (10) at 32 bytes. I think digi may be right about the scsi card . The load meater in pt showes the pci to be running about half way , The cpu barley showing, and the disc load at about 5%.system load at about 10%. everyone look and see what your systems are doing . I have set everything according to the pub. on the duc , and still the same thing . The first thing i did is unplug the sync I/O. Is this a pt6.0 issue ? I did not have this problem in os9.
Old 07-02-2003, 03:29 PM

Are we all beta testers? [img]images/icons/mad.gif[/img]
Old 07-03-2003, 12:17 AM

If you are talking about -6031 errors in PT6, then yes, they are still occurring.

They seem to have something to do with the SYNC IO. When this is completely disconnected (including the serial cable) the -6031 errors disappear.
Old 07-03-2003, 12:31 AM

Same here--with the Sync I/O completely out of the chain, I don't get the errors at all. Of course, this is completely killing all the work that we need the Sync I/O's for...

-kevinmac