Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Windows
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-14-2015, 08:47 PM

Default Is Pro Tools 8 M-Powered compatible with Windows 10

Hello all – I understand that this is an easy question to ask, but the answer may not be as cut and dry – several variables to consider. I will start with just the questions, then follow up with additional detail and background information. (see my explanation about this at the end of the post)

1. Is Pro Tools M-Powered 8 compatible with Windows 10?
2. In general, does Avid state, when it comes to unsupported or unqualified systems, whether a particular system is not qualified because it was tested and failed, or just that they simply aren’t’ able to test PT on every single computer model?

Current Specs:
1. Dell XPS Studio Desktop
2. Q-6600 CPU. 8GB RAM (max for this machine is 16GB RAM)
3. Windows 7 Professional 64bit. SP1

The Avid support pages, knowledge base and compatibility charts are mentioning PT 8 less and less, much less M-Powered, and even lesser, PT 8 on Windows 10.

In my searches on Windows 10, I’ve also been trying to figure out about other primary applications that I use. While these applications are technically compatible, I’m still wondering if Win 10 requires more resources than 7, thus taking away from applications.

Lastly, and this is just something I’m curious about – how much is Pro Tools 8 still in use? I still see current posts in this forum about PT8. Is there any resource – web page or a page within the AVID site that lists the breakdown and usage stats that detail how may people use which version of PT an perhaps on what platform? I imaging Avid is able to determine these things in some fashion. Without real-time tracking (where a user’s computer reports back to Avid certain data, they can still track activations and/or track stats from iLok.

~Lon

Note: The first time I noticed it I was looking up something simple, a setting in Windows I knew was there but just forgot where it was. Instead of hunting the hard drive, I Googled. I landed on article that proceeded to tell me why I needed this setting, and a long list of reasons to set it this way or that. Did not the author know that I already knew this – that’s how I came to be on that site in the first place? Since then, I noticed that this was a trend – searches for the simplest things all end up with a dissertation before providing the solution. All the filler doesn’t even provide useful information, it’s just that. So I decided to do my part in changing the landscape, starting with my inquiries on the various forums to which I belong. I start with just the simple questions, then add detail which may or may not be necessary to all you learned and helpful experts. It’s not unlike the forum neophyte who would ask a question but provide no details at all that elicit responses like “help us help you”. I also really try to do my due diligence and knowing that I’m asking something that in all likelihood been addressed, sometimes the redundancy just can’t be helped. The search functions for most message boards are lacking, and Google used to work very well in finding content in message boards. But, most of the relevant keywords have been hijacked buy the sales arms of the various online entities. Still, user-to-user support is and has been invaluable – I could not get by without it. But, shame on the companies that treat this as their primary means of product support. Even though they know that the best information comes from expert users, that’s no reason for them to not educate their own employees. And for those of you who consistently help others – hats off to you. My idea? A virtual tip jar. When someone purchases and registers a product, they are given a certain amount of fund to use to tip other users, and when we add our own money to be used for tipping, the company matches it.
Old 11-14-2015, 11:23 PM

Default Re: Is Pro Tools 8 M-Powered compatible with Windows 10

no
and
no

"Fly High Freeee click psst tic tic tic click Bird Yeah!" - dave911

Thank you,

Craig
Old 11-14-2015, 11:54 PM

Avid is saying "Use PT 12 with Win 10 at your own risk" and highly suggesting waiting. So if the CURRENT software isn't recommended for Win 10, I would expect the same for software that's 4 or so years old. PT 8.0.5 works great on 64-bit Win 7, though.
Old 11-15-2015, 04:53 AM

The last Mac OSX Pro Tools M-Powered 8 was compatible with was Mac OSX 10.6.8 or Windows 7.
No later version of OS will work with M-Powered 8.

Check it out yourself (scroll down a bit to find M-powered 8/PT8).
http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/e...ility/en353905

Like stated by Craig already Avid do test it before qualifying or not qualifying any stuff from software to hardware.

The reason for the non-existing info about M-Powered 8+Windows 10 simply is that M-Powered never has been
considered to be compatible with W10 because it simply is way too old. It was not compatible with Windows 8
anymore, so...

Therefor you have 2 options now.
1) stay with your system like it is just because this simply works (M-Powered 8+Windows 7)

2) take advantage of the M-Powered 8-to-PT12-upgrade which will be available until 31st Dec 2015 only. By 2016
there will be no upgrades available for any version of Pro Tools anymore.
Even though Windows 10 has not been officially qualified by Avid for the use with PT12 yet it´s only a question of time.
There will arrive a W10-ready PT12 update soon.

Your update will be $199.- and you will receive a perpetual combi-license for Pro Tools 10+12, separate PT12+PT10
installers in your account (you can install only one of them on your system) and 1 year updates/upgrades incl. support.

You will OWN your license for PT12+10 for good, to receive further update/upgrades AFTER that 1 year however you will
have to pay another annual fee then. The good thing is, if you will not want to pay another fee you will be able to use the
Pro Tools DAW (updated to this particular point) further on without any limitations. You only will receive no further updates,
that´s all. And whenever you will decide to want to receive updates again one day you just can pay the fee and you will
receive updates for 1 year again. It´s that easy.

So I would recommend to get the $199.- upgrade as it is really worth it. Avid have included loads of prior PTHD features in
the standard version of PT now. It´s cool stuff and worth the money.
The only thing you may have to check out is if your current audio interface will work with Windows 10 (available driver etc.?).

There you can check out what you will get with the upgrade (just scroll down until you see Pro tools M-Powered.
http://www.sweetwater.com/insync/pro...upgrade-chart/
There you can get the upgrade.
https://shop.avid.com/ccrz__ProductD...alUser=&store=

The best of success to you!
Old 11-18-2015, 09:39 PM

THANK YOU! Very good answers, all of em.

Methinks I shall stay with Win 7. Do I want all the new features of all the new aoftware? Yes. Can I afford them? No. Can I still make music (limited only by my talent) on what I have? Yes.

Thank you.

Of course, I have so many extra internal HDD's around, I can just pop em in an out with various installs, you know, just to see what happens...