Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 10-03-2008, 03:37 AM

Default 003 Rack+ !!!!

I've just been sent the email info about the new 003 Rack+

Finally Digi have answered our requests for an LE interface with 8 mic pres!

But I'm a little confused about the way the buttons on the front (Line-DI, 48v, Pad & HPF) function, it looks as though each of these options are not assignable to individual tracks, independently of eachother...that can't be right can it?

The picture seems to suggest that the 1-8 buttons toggle between the on/off state of which ever 48v/pad/hpf etc. buttons are on. If this is correct then how do you tell it which channels are DI independently from which channels have 48v and so on.

For example, let's say I was going to record an ensemble using a selection of Dynamic (including Ribbon) and condenser (solid and tube) and a DI instrument (simultaneously), how do I specify which channels are using the DI inputs, which are using Mic pres, and which have 48v?

While 48v won't affect a normal dynamic mic it would affect my ribbon mic, so it'd make sense to be able to specify which channels use 48v and which don't.

I may just be being very dense, so please let me know what the situation is.

Thanks

Ben

Mobile - MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz, 4GB RAM, PT v7.3.1, 002R, 003R, MBox + 3rd party stuff
Old 10-03-2008, 04:10 AM

Default Re: 003 Rack+ !!!!

As far as I can see on the frontpannel it looks as simple as pressing one of the horizontal aligned channel buttons 1-8 and then you can select with the 4 vertical aligned buttons whether you want to select mic/di, +48v, pad of hpf for the selected channel.
Old 10-04-2008, 04:19 PM

Well, yeah I gathered that's the idea, but that doesn't cater for situations where you want to use a combination of channels with different Mic/DI/48v settings.

Like I explained in my original post, hypothetically, if I want to DI an instrument in to channel 1, use a normal dynamic mic on 2, a ribbon mic on 3 and a condenser on 4, and I'd like an HPF applied to just channel 3.

Presumably the DI, 48v AND hpf settings would need to be selected, as would the track buttons for 1 (DI), 3 (HPF) & 4 (48v) so how do I specify that I want DI on 1 only, the HPF on 3 only, and 48v on 4 only as opposed to all 3 settings applied to all the channels? 48v could damage my ribbon mic if sent to 3, but the condenser in 4 won't work without 48v selected.

Cheers

B

Mobile - MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz, 4GB RAM, PT v7.3.1, 002R, 003R, MBox + 3rd party stuff
Old 10-04-2008, 04:50 PM

I think you explained how it works in your opening post.

From the front panel:
http://akmedia.digidesign.com/produc...tail_17492.jpg

1) Choose a input number along the bottom.
2) Choose the status for that input (eg. 48v + HPF)
3) Work your way long your inputs, 1 thru 8, applying *different* settings to each input.

Make sense?

You can then see what you've applied to Input 3 by hitting the Input 3 button along the bottom, and its configuration will be revealed by whatever lights up along the side.

Alternatively, it could work the other way,

Pressing one of the side parameters, say the HPF, reveals all the inputs along the bottom with the HPF engaged, so you only engage inputs that you want the HPF on. Then do the same for the other parameters.

Either way, both methods will achieve the same result. It's how these types of matrix work.

Sorry if I've missed where you're coming from here.
Old 10-04-2008, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjamino View Post
Well, yeah I gathered that's the idea, but that doesn't cater for situations where you want to use a combination of channels with different Mic/DI/48v settings.

Like I explained in my original post, hypothetically, if I want to DI an instrument in to channel 1, use a normal dynamic mic on 2, a ribbon mic on 3 and a condenser on 4, and I'd like an HPF applied to just channel 3.

Presumably the DI, 48v AND hpf settings would need to be selected, as would the track buttons for 1 (DI), 3 (HPF) & 4 (48v) so how do I specify that I want DI on 1 only, the HPF on 3 only, and 48v on 4 only as opposed to all 3 settings applied to all the channels? 48v could damage my ribbon mic if sent to 3, but the condenser in 4 won't work without 48v selected.

Cheers

B
Not sure about the 003 but the I believe 002 turns on the phantom power on each channel pair. 1-2, 3-4 etc. I would assume the 003+ is similar.

You would think by now that they could build a ribbon mike with a sonically transparent phantom power protection circuit.....

Formerly Hobo Wan Kenobi

Core 2 Specs Page

ASUS P6T6 Revolution | i7 930 | 12GB OCZ DDR3 1600 7-7-7-20 | PTLE 10 | CPTK | 003 | Presonus D8 | 11Rack | Alesis AI3 | Presonus HP60 | Mercury + Studio Classics | Sound Toys | MasseyPack | Axiom61 | MAudio Keystation Pro 88
Old 10-04-2008, 11:37 PM

Check out the user manual for the 003 from the downloads section. It is already updated to include the rack+.
The buttons work just like a control surface.
Hit one button to select the channel, and then the other four buttons allow you to select the way that channel operates.