Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 07-26-2005, 11:51 AM

Default VIA and Pro Tools

My current motherboard broke and I need to get another socket A board for now. I already know what the best configuration of parts would be but I don't have the money for 64bit right now. I just want to know if the VIA KT600 and VT8237 chipset will give me any trouble or if it would be better than the NvIDIA nForce2 chipset.
Old 07-27-2005, 03:21 AM

Default Re: VIA and Pro Tools

Thats what I'm running on a GA-7VT600-P-L via Northbridge : VIA KT600
Southbridge : VIA VT8237 Ive tried this with audiomedia 3 and digi001 cards and had no problem, currently running tools 6.4 not only stable but fast.
Old 07-27-2005, 10:30 AM

Default Re: VIA and Pro Tools

I have been running Socket A w/ Digi001 for about 2 years. I would highly recommend an ASUS board -- I have went through 4 different boards and the 3 ASUS boards worked great, and the 1 non-ASUS wouldn't work at all (PCI bus was pegged red in PT no matter what I did).

Just to clarify, why did I go through 4 boards if ASUS is so good? The first board (A7V333 I believe it was) I fried myself by sheer stupidity. I replaced it with a Soyo Dragon 2 and had the PCI bus issues. Replaced that with an ASUS A7V8X-X board & it worked great with PT, but I think the board was actually damaged as I started getting random reboots. So I just replaced that board with an ASUS A7V600-X (last night, ironically) and it's working like a champ - PCI bus in PT is almost 0%, install went without a hitch, etc.

Best news of all? The A7V600-X (which is KT600/VT8237, btw) goes for around $60 delivered on NewEgg:

http://www.newegg.com/product/produc...86#DetailSpecs

So it won't hit the wallet too hard <g>.

HTH,
John