Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-16-2015, 11:22 PM

Default Elastic Audio weirdness in 12.3 native

Seeing all sorts of weird behavior with Elastic Audio in 12.3 native.

I pretty much always use the X Form mode, and under v11 everything was pretty smooth overall, but in 12.3 I'm seeing regions that refuse to render, or don't render until I highlight all and consolidate, waveforms changing pretty drastically with minor warping (even on consolidated regions), and most strangely, transients underneath warp markers will sometimes snap back to their original location while I have a hold of them and am actively moving them around.

Never saw most of this behavior under earlier versions of PT w/ EA. Anyone else seeing this?

Sound quality is fine, for the most part, I'm just have trouble editing in 12.3.
RTX 2080ti
64GB DDR5 5200mhz RAM
2 Samsung 980 Pro 1TB SSDs
Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD
LG 34" Ultra-Widescreen monitor
Pro Tools 12.4
A loaf of bread
A stick of butter
A lot of rye whiskey
Old 06-23-2016, 11:10 PM

Default Crazy weirdness with Elastic Audio/X-Form...

I posted about this a while back, but got no response, so here we go again...

I'm seeing all sorts of weird behavior with Elastic Audio ever since 12.3 native. Currently on 12.5.1, and it's the same strange behavior.

I pretty much always use the X-Form mode, and under v11 everything was pretty smooth overall, but in 12 I'm seeing regions that refuse to render (they just hang there - muted and greyed out), or don't render until I highlight all and consolidate, waveforms changing pretty drastically with minor warping (even on consolidated regions), and most strangely, transients underneath warp markers will sometimes snap back to their original location while I have a hold of the marker and am actively moving it around.

Never saw most of this behavior under earlier versions of PT w/ EA. Anyone else seeing this?

Sound quality is fine, for the most part, I'm just have trouble editing in v12.
RTX 2080ti
64GB DDR5 5200mhz RAM
Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD
Pro Tools 12.4
A loaf of bread
A stick of butter
A lot of rye whiskey
Old 06-24-2016, 07:27 AM

Default Re: Crazy weirdness with Elastic Audio/X-Form...

Yeah I've had a couple of weird things, I'll try and capture the screen next time it occurs.
Old 06-24-2016, 02:55 PM

Yes I see this daily. I do a LOT of EA editing. I bet you will find that consolidating some of those troubling regions will result in harsh digital spikes too. I've replaced drives, systems etc over the years thinking they were the culprit. Not the case.

When I have this kind of issue, either a)drag the troubl track audio to a new (not duplicated) track. Or conmand E SEPARATE, then consolidate a little snip of the offending track audio. Then it will re warp and the behavior will disappear. I know that's probably confusing as hell. Hard to explain on an iPhone.

Basically, take the offending track audio and trick pro tools into thinking its a different file

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
HDX and HD NATIVE
48 gig Ram
PT 2019. Something
Sierra
192 IO and 96 IO

TDM user way back. PT user since 98.
I'm either working, sick, or both.
Old 06-27-2016, 05:24 PM

Makes perfect sense, and that's pretty much what I have to do as well. Seems as though I can only get one warp marker to work at a time, which has to be followed by a consolidation, or the next warp marker I grab won't stick.

The behavior is infuriating, given how much I use EA.. especially for sound design.
RTX 2080ti
64GB DDR5 5200mhz RAM
Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD
Pro Tools 12.4
A loaf of bread
A stick of butter
A lot of rye whiskey
Old 06-27-2016, 05:35 PM

Default Re: Elastic Audio weirdness in 12.3 native

The digital spikes is something I get all the time now when rendering EA regions. AFAIK, it started happening with PT11 onwards for me.

I've worked out that it happens if there's a fade on the EA region your committing. It will always render a digital spike, sometimes even a blast of distorted tone.

If I get the spike, I use the pencil tool and cut it out.

I'm not sure how this hasn't been picked up yet by the devs. Is it possible they aren't aware of this bug?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-27-2016, 06:07 PM

Default Re: Elastic Audio weirdness in 12.3 native

Funny, I do a LOT of editing with EA and I haven't (knock on wood) had the digital spike issue at all, just the weirdness with warp markers and the processing not resolving.

Sounds like others have it worse than I, at the moment.

I thought about demonstrating the problems, as they're easily repeatable, but I'm not sure it's worth the trouble to find/install a screen recording app. What would I even use?
RTX 2080ti
64GB DDR5 5200mhz RAM
Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD
Pro Tools 12.4
A loaf of bread
A stick of butter
A lot of rye whiskey
Old 06-27-2016, 09:01 PM

QuickTime has a screen capture function. That's what I use. I don't capture audio but it works fine for capturing stuff like this. I never bothered bc hey, I figured they're not going to fix it.
HDX and HD NATIVE
48 gig Ram
PT 2019. Something
Sierra
192 IO and 96 IO

TDM user way back. PT user since 98.
I'm either working, sick, or both.
Old 06-28-2016, 12:56 PM

I'm getting similar weird behavior here, PTHD 12.5.1 on Mac 10.10.5. Often XForm processing won't render at all unless I make some extra changes to warp markers, and I've had crashes happen while it's rendering.

I don't use a ton of EA, but a typical workflow will be for me to drag a short clip to a new track or pair of tracks, consolidate the clip, then enable xform and process (typically to lengthen a chord.) This always worked fine through PT11, but will cause predictable mishaps now. I noticed this in 12.4 as well, don't remember if it showed up in earlier versions of 12 or not....
Old 06-28-2016, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StudioRhythm View Post
This always worked fine through PT11, but will cause predictable mishaps now. I noticed this in 12.4 as well, don't remember if it showed up in earlier versions of 12 or not....
Yeah, I remember being fine on V11, and I didn't jump to 12 until 12.3, so I'm not sure if it existed in the first couple of iterations of 12.

I'm surprised there isn't more outrage about this, but on the other hand, I always sort of assumed most cats like me are probably using other DAWs anyhow, so who knows.

EA is one of my most used tools for twisting and changing sampled material into something new. Sucks that it's been more or less broken for so long now.
RTX 2080ti
64GB DDR5 5200mhz RAM
Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD
Pro Tools 12.4
A loaf of bread
A stick of butter
A lot of rye whiskey