Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2020

Old 03-09-2021, 07:27 AM

Default Re: Will native PT(ultimate) ever gets Delay Comp in Sidechains?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
Every support case makes a record and those are the numbers Avid Bean Counters are watching. They are not spending time reading user forum.
Okay guys, you heard him : let's complain in droves to Support.

I've just submitted mine. Case number 04132873

Last edited by midnightrambler; 03-09-2021 at 07:47 AM.
Old 03-09-2021, 09:07 AM

There used to be the Ideascale website where you could send in your requests or bug reports, upvote others, and could actually track the status. It was abandoned though. Folders were in high demand, I'm betting proper delay compensation as well.

It is unknown to me why they abandoned Ideascale.
Old 03-09-2021, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farhoof View Post
There used to be the Ideascale website where you could send in your requests or bug reports, upvote others, and could actually track the status. It was abandoned though. Folders were in high demand, I'm betting proper delay compensation as well.

It is unknown to me why they abandoned Ideascale.
ideascale has moved to avid link for now, AFAIK and it sucks.

as far as I know they are currently working on ADC sidechains and or mutlichannel side chains but no ETA given.
It's something that's at least partly in the works. Avid support have suggested that to me.
I'll give it one more subscription update for them to roll it out, and then I'll see if I'll abandon or not.
This is going so damn slow...

this and folder tracks is the last thing I kinda need, but folder tracks have been unusable for me in their current generation.
So that's another disappointment after waaaaaay too long a wait.
Old 03-11-2021, 04:46 PM

As a show of solidarity just want to say I feel your pain on lack of sidechain delay compensation. I've found some workarounds for it, albeit laborious & precarious, and even posted much about this very topic on this forum in past years...

It's just such a shame that the magic of SO many creative uses for sidechaining is instead such a pain to implement accurately bc of the workaround steps required, to the point where I usually just don't use them very much, if ever. Too much to keep track of and too many things that can go wrong which defeats the whole purpose of using sidechains to create tighter, better, clearer, more impactful mixes.

Real shame.

But thanks for the idea about creating a customer support case to bring it up with Avid more formally. I'm certainly paying for it every year... they might as well "formally" log my question/complaint.

Cheers.
Pro Tools|Ultimate 2023.12
HD Native Thunderbolt
HD I/O 16x16 Analog
Old 03-12-2021, 10:31 PM

FYI: PT-218498

That’s the code I got for this issue.
I believe it relates to multichannel side chains but is also connected to ADC.
They said it had critical status at the time it was given to me (December 2019) and was scheduled for last year.
It’s still an ongoing effort.
So anytime this year I guess... .
Old 03-13-2021, 01:50 PM

Apparently it must be a difficult nut to crack.

Studio One has the same issue sidechaining to a track with a plugin that adds latency. I haven't checked Nuendo personally, but a quick check of the Steinberg forum shows a number of posts about problems with Cubase and Nuendo's constraining delay compensation functionality.

So, the grass doesn't appear to be any greener over there...

tg
Mac Studio (2022) M1 MAX / 64GB / 2TB HD / macOS Ventura 13.6.5 / RME BabyFace Pro FS / SSL UF8 + UF1 + UC1 / Roland SYSTEM 8 / Kontrol S61 mk3 / Pro Tools Studio 2024.3 / Nuendo 13 / Reaper 7 / Komplete 14 / Omnisphere / Keyscape / Trilian / V Collection X
Old 03-14-2021, 04:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grayter1 View Post

Studio One has the same issue sidechaining to a track with a plugin that adds latency. I haven't checked Nuendo personally, but a quick check of the Steinberg forum shows a number of posts about problems with Cubase and Nuendo's constraining delay compensation functionality.

tg
The difference is that this used to work properly in earlier versions of Studio One, and is now broken.
Old 03-14-2021, 06:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OliverH View Post
As a show of solidarity just want to say I feel your pain on lack of sidechain delay compensation. I've found some workarounds for it, albeit laborious & precarious, and even posted much about this very topic on this forum in past years...

It's just such a shame that the magic of SO many creative uses for sidechaining is instead such a pain to implement accurately bc of the workaround steps required, to the point where I usually just don't use them very much, if ever. Too much to keep track of and too many things that can go wrong which defeats the whole purpose of using sidechains to create tighter, better, clearer, more impactful mixes.

Real shame.

But thanks for the idea about creating a customer support case to bring it up with Avid more formally. I'm certainly paying for it every year... they might as well "formally" log my question/complaint.

Cheers.
could you tell us your workaround?
Old 03-14-2021, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grayter1 View Post

tg
I've been doing this in Ableton and Logic for so long that when I adopted Pro Tools for professional work I was simply floored to find out there were no accommodations for latency in sidechain paths. I used to work on an HDX system (c. version 12) as well and could never rely on sidechain ADC then either.
Old 03-14-2021, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JingleDjango View Post
I've been doing this in Ableton and Logic for so long that when I adopted Pro Tools for professional work I was simply floored to find out there were no accommodations for latency in sidechain paths. I used to work on an HDX system (c. version 12) as well and could never rely on sidechain ADC then either.
Reaper does it too, but you know.... Reaper. I don't want to code or sift through thousands of scripts before I can work.

Either way, it's telling that some (Ableton, Apple and Cockos) have figured it out, when Avid, Presonus and Steinberg are struggling with it.

tg
Mac Studio (2022) M1 MAX / 64GB / 2TB HD / macOS Ventura 13.6.5 / RME BabyFace Pro FS / SSL UF8 + UF1 + UC1 / Roland SYSTEM 8 / Kontrol S61 mk3 / Pro Tools Studio 2024.3 / Nuendo 13 / Reaper 7 / Komplete 14 / Omnisphere / Keyscape / Trilian / V Collection X