Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Windows

Old 09-20-2020, 01:59 PM

Default Re: legacy PACE License Support crashes Windows 10, couldn't install Pro Tools 11 (RE

Allright, got some news. I found exactly why it is that Tpkd.sys doesn't work with newer builds of Windows.

Seeking through the Windows Event Viewer, I found this error:
"The PACE License Services service is marked as an interactive service. However, the system is configured to not allow interactive services. This service may not function properly."

Then I found out that: "Microsoft has removed the Interactive Services Detection Service on Windows 10 Version 1803."
https://kb.firedaemon.com/support/so...-and-session-0

More details about supported versions here:
http://batcmd.com/windows/10/services/ui0detect/

But it appears that upon upgrading from previous builds, that service still exists, which explains why my previous install from late 2017 that I upgrader to build 1909 or 1903 still worked with the driver.

Other users, if you're willing to, you could verify that by checking if you find "Interactive Services Detection" in your services list, and by checking your Windows version/build number.

So there must be a way, or a hack to get it back.
Microsoft support was very kind and attentionate until I asked for that... Now I've got two support people leaving the chat right away when exposing that. I guess it's a sensitive subject.

I'll try to hack a way to add it back.
This link says:
"Make sure that the UI0Detect.exe file exists in the %WinDir%\system32 folder. If this file is missing you can try to restore it from your Windows 10 installation media."

Then run: sc config UI0Detect start= demand

So I'm restoring this file right away and will try that. I'll be reporting back and spread this file and procedure widely if it works.

Edit: This file doesn't exist on my previous Windows install. Gotta boot off of my old legacy Windows install, to check out the event log from it.

Last edited by UltimateByte; 09-20-2020 at 11:00 PM.
Old 09-21-2020, 11:15 AM

Default Re: legacy PACE License Support crashes Windows 10, couldn't install Pro Tools 11 (RE

After digging more, remembered I had an iLok account...

I've then been able to open a support ticket:
"Hello. Pro Tools 10 default plugins requires older iLok drivers to work (latest shows "User privileges insufficient to start a low level driver.") .
After installing legacy driver, running a fresh Win 10 Install, upon booting, computer blue screens incriminating Tpkd.sys because it requires "Interactive Services Detection Service" which was removed since Win 10 Version 1803.
I've been able to sort the booting issue, but the driver doesn't work, starting with loading BF-76.aaxplugin then other plugins fail as well. Can you please fix the driver or provide a workaround to make it work? Thank you"

PS: I'm still unable to get Tpkd.sys to load and work properly.
I've tried importing the exact same old iLok license manager (including the program service and everything) from my previous Win10: Does not work. Also I cannot find a way to retrieve the "Interactive Services Detection Service". My guess is it stays in Windows somehow if it's in use upon upgrade. Would need to start from build 1709 to keep it, if I'm right. No way I'm doing this. Prefer ditching pro tools and keep a secondary Windows 7 handy on a drive if I ever need it.
Old 09-27-2020, 05:07 PM

Wow UltimateByte, you rock for doing all that digging! That's a really interesting find about the "Interactive Services Detection" service being removed in the latest versions of Win10, and how the legacy PACE License Support needs that service in order to run. Very cool to get to the bottom of exactly WHY the issue is happening on PT10 and older.

Unfortunately this seems like a very difficult fix, that would require either deep hacking, or a manual patch from either Microsoft, PACE, or Avid. Unfortunately this doesn't seem like a high priority issue for any of them....
Pro Tools 2021.7
UAD Apollo Solo USB
Old 10-11-2020, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevindubois View Post

So after ripping my hair out for hours a few nights ago, I finally reached a solution! When PT11 prompted the install of PACE License Support (as it always did, even though I had the newest version already installed), I clicked install, as I was always forced to do in order to continue. But, when Windows 10's action center popped up, asking if I trust the developer and wanted to install the software, I hit DON'T INSTALL. The PT11 install software did not error out and continued on as normal, allowing me to install PT11! I've tested Pro Tools and everything runs as it should.
I just wanted to let you know that you can fully bypass the installation step where it tries to install the legacy pace drivers. You simply open the installer folder, enter the PT folder and run the "Avid Pro Tools.exe" only. This starts the installation of Pro Tools 11 directly.

And to the ones trying to install PT10 on the latest Windows 10 build I can just say sorry. You will need to be a hell of a hacker to hack all the licenses to get the Air Creative collection to work, and I don't even think it's possible at this point.

I've been at this for a week now, and at the point where I almost sendt half my coputer back to the store for replacement when I found my issue. After some trying and failing with PT10 (as I just liked it better and had more compatible plugins) I was so happy that I read this post and found that PT11 will actually work still. Luckilly some of my plugins also have 64-bit licence.

So thanks to the thread starter!
Old 10-26-2020, 12:55 PM

Hi All,

Thanks to everyone who contributed to this post.

I would just like to briefly share my experience and how I fixed the issue which may or may not be achievable for everyone.

Firstly must I say the fix was found in one of the posts here and it relates to the newer version of Windows 10.

I have an old Mbox 2 and had an old PC from work which I was using to load pro tools First.

Came across the same issue as some here whereby Pro rools would moan about user privileges nor sufficient to load a low level driver.

On installing the ilok drivers from the Old Installers folder, same thing happened to me, BSOD in windows 10 and was related to the TPkg.sys file that has been mentioned here.

I had also been using a laptop with the hardware and had no past issues until I built this PC. I though it was the age of the PC then found this post.

The fix was to download an older version of windows 10 and reimage the whole computer using this. I noticed my laptop was on an older build which ties in to what others have been saying about Interactive desktop being disabled on new builds causing issues.

After that I installed the ilok drivers straight after the re image and then they worked fine. I then upgraded through normal windows update and now all is working fine.

for reference I used Windows 10 1703 build which is the Creators Update.

I had the luxury of being able to reimage and it fixed my issue.

Hope this helps someone who is having similar issues and thanks to the commenters for the help with this

Rob
Old 11-27-2020, 12:16 PM

Wow!! That's amazing! I'm so glad somebody figured out a workaround for this, thank you for sharing! For anyone else stuck in this situation, hopefully this works for you, and I'm glad we were able to help out the community in some way!
Pro Tools 2021.7
UAD Apollo Solo USB
Old 01-31-2021, 04:14 PM

Hello , wow . I'm so glad to find this discussion about these BSOD with windows 10 . First of all, I'm sorry for my english ( French guy here) so be indulgent .

Well , i just bought a new Windows 10 x64 Pc . I was running on Windows 7 x64 with Pro tools 10.3.10 .

I just did all the same things that you've done . Installing pro tools 10.3.10 and having an error when loading files as from BF76 ....... ( BF76 and other AIR plugins )

I saw a lot of people saying to load the PACE version found into OLD INSTALLER and i just did the same .

I've got the same BSOD and couldn't recover from it for hours . Then i found that Windows 10 made a restore point somewhere BEFORE i made this install .

Now , i'm stuck with the New PACE installed , but not allowed to use my old plugins . It's realy a PAIN and i dont understand why Avid or Pace doesn't try to resolve this . Unless they want us to upgrade ( cost money ..)

I just found that someone here (RJH) were able to bypass this problem by reimaging with Windows 10 1703 , then upgrading again .

Could you explain to us Point by Point how to do that? I already have the latest update from Win 10. I don't know how to go back please .

Help !! thanks !!
Old 03-07-2021, 01:25 AM

Hello Kevin,
Your description of the problem was impeccable and your solution sent away the headache!
Thank you man.
Old 03-07-2021, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexios View Post
Hello Kevin,
Your description of the problem was impeccable and your solution sent away the headache!
Thank you man.
I'm glad I could be of some help :)
Pro Tools 2021.7
UAD Apollo Solo USB
Old 03-19-2021, 08:36 PM

A possibly related tidbit that may help out others trying to coax old PT software onto Windows 10 systems.
On my main system I run PT11 on an old Mac. Because I happen to have a bunch of old Windows XP systems the kids and I have been running PT8.05 on 3 of them. The time has come (overdue) to move up to Windows 10. So that is installed on a 10 yr old Dell. No luck with current Win10 version. Following the advice of this thread I tried a clean install of Win10 Build 1703 32bit (and 1709) and ran into the "Driver not allowed", "ilok required" in all possible combinations of the original install from PT, the legacy Pace ilok installer, the current installer and very many PT re-installs. In desperation I went to browse my old XP installs, and sorted the drivers and installers by date.
Of the right "vintage", 2013, is "iLokClientHelperSetup.exe" the manager of the era. After installing LE 8.03 and the Updater to 8.05, saying "yes" to everything the installs proceeded (even though Win10 said driver not allowed). I then ran the above little app, which runs in two parts, and installs drivers. After another reboot, Much to my surprise, it works. I can only guess that this driver is new enough to be tolerated by Win10 and old enough to still work with my old PT. I have no idea if this will work with the PT10,11 and such but might be worth trying as one last thing before you give up. When I googled it, It seems to be available in a couple of versions in a few places. It is about 29mb. Best of Luck!