Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-13-2005, 07:43 AM

Default consolidating clips correctly..pls..help...

Hey Everyone,

I am splitting up a large session into multiple parts so that i can stream it later on
in Flash.

My question is, how do you consolidate sections of the session into clips that won't sound
like they're 'cut off'. When I assemble the eventual wavs into Flash i don't want there being
any 'skips' or 'cuts' or 'fallouts'..know what i'm saying?

So how do I go about making clean clips that will be consolidated seamlessly?

any help on this issue wld be much appreciated..(my file is 7 min. long..so it will probably need a pretty divergent consolidation)

thanx...

chal7ds
Old 05-13-2005, 08:38 PM

Default Re: consolidating clips correctly..pls..help...

If I understand correctly, you want several audio clips to play seamlessly as one long clip? Ideally, you would first consolidate to one continuous file and then insert breaks(Ctrl-E) at zero-crossings(zoom way in to see the wave accurately). If you make your cuts at zero crossings, there should be no pops or clicks or anything.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 05-14-2005, 12:41 AM

What do you mean you would first consolidate to one continuous file? Isn't the session as it is ALREADY one continuous file? I don't understand that part.
Old 05-14-2005, 06:46 AM

I think you're confused about what you need to do, or someone has led you in the wrong direction.

Consolidation is joining a number of smaller regions into one large region.

If I remember correctly, you're trying to import the output of your session into flash, but the resulting wav is too large (80MB or so) to do all at one time. In that case you would need to separate not consolidate the resulting wav output into smaller regions, and import each region separately.

I think you could also bounce the whole output file to mp3 for import into flash, it would be much smaller.

Studio rig: Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R, Intel i7 920, 6GB Patriot DDR3, NVidia 8600GS, LG GGW-H20L BD-RE, Sony CRX195E1 CD-RW, 2x WD Caviar black 640GB (os swap), 1x WD caviar 320GB (sessions), 1x Maxtor 120GB (sessions), 1x Seagate 1TB (samples/loops), Profire2626, Command8, PT12 on OSX

Mobile Rig: 2015 MacBook Pro Retina, Apollo Twin, PT12
Old 05-14-2005, 08:28 AM

Quote:
What do you mean you would first consolidate to one continuous file? Isn't the session as it is ALREADY one continuous file? I don't understand that part.
After edits and punchins and such on any track, that track is likely to be comprised of several regions. Consolidating makes the entire track into a single region(audio file) which is easy to export. Now if you did a Bounce to Disk and import that new track into your session, then yes, it is already a continuous file. My logic was based on working with several regions that are strung together. When you cut your continuous audio file into your 3 pieces(at zero crossings), you can doubleclick on each region and give it a new name so you can keep track of your exported files easier. I like the idea of converting to MP3 as well. If you don't have the MP3 option in protools, there are lots of other programs that can make an MP3 out of your .wav or AIFF file.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 05-14-2005, 12:22 PM

Quote:
After edits and punchins and such on any track, that track is likely to be comprised of several regions. Consolidating makes the entire track into a single region(audio file) which is easy to export. Now if you did a Bounce to Disk and import that new track into your session, then yes, it is already a continuous file. My logic was based on working with several regions that are strung together. When you cut your continuous audio file into your 3 pieces(at zero crossings), you can doubleclick on each region and give it a new name so you can keep track of your exported files easier. I like the idea of converting to MP3 as well. If you don't have the MP3 option in protools, there are lots of other programs that can make an MP3 out of your .wav or AIFF file.
Albe,

How do you select or deselect current punch in takes? Ie when you consolidate, how do you pick which punch take will be included in the consolidation? What happens to the other takes that were not selected for consolidation?

Can you then insert other punch takes and re-consolidate if you made a mistake with the first punch take selection?

Hope this makes sense and actually adds to the thread.
K8V-SE Deluxe 4G DDR400
Radeon 9200SE-128M
Maxt 80G; WD 200G
CG8 200G SATA