Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools | MTRX & MTRX Studio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-07-2021, 04:57 PM

Default MTRX Studio and Rednet PCIeR card - no outputs above 32

I'm having a problem outputting a track to anything above output 32. I have my I/O setup set correctly with 128 inputs/128 outputs (in the Input/Output hardware tab) and in the Bus tab 128 channels mapped to the outputs. Pretty standard stuff...

I usually use a MTRX Studio and with that it works great but I am trying to do an experiment where I change the playback engine from HDX to my Focusrite Rednet PCIeR card so I can output 128 channels into my second computer running the Dolby Atmos Renderer, (the second computer also has a Rednet PCIeR card).

Everything looks correct and I am able to route a track, one with a signal generator plugin on for instance as a test, to any output in pro tools. In Dante controller in Device view I am able to see the signal led showing that it is transmitting signal out of the device into the Dante network on all channels until I get to 33 then it goes blank, I get no output from 33 to 128 out of pro tools to show up in Dante controller.

If I quit pro tools and open up Logic and use the same Rednet PCIeR card and send a signal generator output to any of the 128 channel outputs it works just fine so this is def a pro tools thing.

I've tried uninstalling pro tools, the HD driver, cleaning all caches and prefs and reinstalling all to no avail.

What's especially weird is that when I switch the pro tools track output from 31/32 to 33/34 in Dante controller it still shows signal is being transmitted on 31/32 when it is clearly not routed there.

Like I say, none of this is a problem when I'm using the MTRX Studio and HDX as the engine but the MTRX only has 64 Dante Outputs and I'm trying to get all 128 channels into the Dolby Atmos renderer on the other machine, hence wanting to switch to the Rednet card.

Anyone have any ideas?

My system is:
Mac Pro Trash Can / Mojave 10.14.6
PT Ultimate 2021.3
HDX card
MTRX Studio
Focusrite Rednet PCIeR Dante card 128 channels
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IO CH 31-32.jpg (40.1 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IO CH 33-34.jpg (43.7 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IO setup output tab.jpg (25.5 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IO setup bus tab.jpg (25.5 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Rednet in Audio Midi.jpg (33.1 KB, 0 views)
Old 06-07-2021, 05:09 PM

Default Re: MTRX Studio and Rednet PCIeR card - no outputs above 32

Any coreaudio interface, including the Focusrite PCIeR is limited to 32 channels in Pro Tools. To access 128 channels of physical I/O, you will need another HDX card and another 64 channels of digilink equipped Dante I/O. The only way to achieve 128 channels of physical I/O with Pro Tools currently is with two HDX cards.

(I know... I know...)

There is a big update coming to Pro Tools this month. Whether that will include changes to this limitation, I have no idea... but it might be worth holding out for, just in case it contains anything beneficial for your setup.
Pro Tools Ultimate 2024.3. OSX 13.6.5. Win 10. HD Native. Lynx AES16e. Lynx Aurora 16. i9-13900KF. ASRock Z690 Steel Legend. 64GB Ram. AMD Vega 64. BM Decklink. Dolby Atmos Renderer 5.2. Trinnov D-Mon. D-Command.
Old 06-07-2021, 05:17 PM

Aha LDS, brilliant! Thank you so much. Damn, I guess I knew this but have been just stuck with HDX as my playback engine without changing it for so long I'd completely forgotten about it!

Makes total sense now, thank you for your response, that saves a ton of continued head scratching....

I have another HDX card on the second machine which I could steal but I don't have another digilink equipped Dante interface and I'm not shelling out for another MTRX Studio hah hah so I guess I'm SOL with this idea of mine. Oh well, back to 64 channels into the Renderer....

Thanks again!
Old 06-07-2021, 06:38 PM

Yeah..... said really slowly..... The Rednet is using core audio or ASIO depending on what computer, Avid currently does not allow us to get more than 32 in or out of protools using this method.
My Avid Customer Care case consultand said to keep asking for this;
PT-260970 : Increase PTU Native (non Avid hardware) IO

I really want to get that PCIe card for my TV production dates and not carry around a network switch, 2 RedNet 5, 2 digilink cables, 1 HD Native, 1 thunderbolt 2 cable, 1 thunderbolt 2 to 3 adaptor to get into my Mac Book Pro, when one CAT6 could do it all.

Kind regards
Eric Slaughter
Old 06-25-2021, 09:02 AM

You will get 64 I/O via Core Audio with the latest 2021.6 update!