Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 12-07-2009, 02:46 PM

Default Music won't play. Play button flashes and Stop button lights up

Hey everyone,

This has only just happened recently. But when I try to play my music, all I get is the Play button flashing a few times with the Stop button lit up next to it.. and my music doesn't play! It says 'Pause' down in the bottom left corner.

Anyone have any ideas why this is happening and what I can do to sort it out? Could it be the recent Pro Tools update I made? I'm running Pro Tools LE 8 and have updated it to 8.0.1. I'm sure I've played the music since the update though.

Thanks guys,
Matt.
Old 12-07-2009, 02:59 PM

Default Re: Music won't play. Play button flashes and Stop button lights up

I had this happen to me just today. I just saved my session, quit protools and restarted it and everything was fine. The computer had been "asleep" previously without ProTools being open so I chalked it up to that. It was quick and easy for me and I know we are supposed to disable sleep but I've never really had a problem and if all it takes is a quick restart of ProTools, I'll leave the sleep function enabled on my mac since I'm not using it all the time. YMMV. Good Luck, hopefully it won't persist for you.
-Digi002
-ProTools 9
-OS 10.5.x
Old 12-07-2009, 03:08 PM

Well, for starters, almost EVERYONE here is going to tell you they don't know enough about your system to help because you haven't offered enough detail. Are you running 8.0.1cs1? What is your OS? What kind of computer? What setup precautions have you taken to ensure against this happening?

Need mixes, mastering, guitar, keyboard or bass parts added to your tracks? Need custom songs/music written and produced for special occasions? Check out The Soundz Shop. Great work by pros with multi-platinum experience at excellent prices...
Old 12-07-2009, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaySoul View Post
Well, for starters, almost EVERYONE here is going to tell you they don't know enough about your system to help because you haven't offered enough detail.
Or, we're jus gonna read the post & not say anything like I & a few others have been doin as of late

(& I did look @this when it was 1st posted)

'IS TAMARA HOME'
NO, SHE'S WITH
HOBO KEY
'' (that dopey green thing)

('we' must start using pronouns)
Old 12-07-2009, 03:19 PM

In another post that I answered to, switch your hardware buffer setting to something else, click ok, press play then stop, switch your buffer back to what it was. I don't know why it works, but it works.

•2019 Mac Pro 3.5 GHz 8-Core Intel Xeon W - 48 GB 2666 MHz DDR4 (OS 10.15.5) •HD Native PCIe, HD Omni, 192 I/o, Pro Tools Ultimate •Avid S3 + Dock •Blackmagic Intensity Pro (HDMI) •5.1 Room with JBL LSR4300 series

Additional Systems

•2010 Mac Pro 2 x 2.66 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon - 48 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 (OS 10.14.6) •HD Native PCIe, 192 I/o, 96 I/o, Pro Tools Ultimate •McMix (x4), McControl (x1), JLCooper Surround panner for D-Command ES, Avid Control •Blackmagic Intensity Pro (HDMI) •7.1.4 Room with JBL LSR4300 series

•2017 MacBook Pro 2.8 GHz i7 - 16 GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3 (OS 10.14.6) •HD Native TB, HD Omni, Pro Tools Ultimate •McMix (x1), McControl (x1), Avid Control * or * D-Command ES Main Unit •Fed into whichever system is the main system
Old 12-07-2009, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keybeeetsss View Post
Or, we're jus gonna read the post & not say anything like I & a few others have been doin as of late

(& I did look @this when it was 1st posted)
Yup, then there's that. I just figured I was due to offer a newb a heads up...

Need mixes, mastering, guitar, keyboard or bass parts added to your tracks? Need custom songs/music written and produced for special occasions? Check out The Soundz Shop. Great work by pros with multi-platinum experience at excellent prices...
Old 12-08-2009, 01:11 AM

Yes, more system details please.
Is pt is online? (prime for playback) Or have some external sync thing?
Old 10-08-2017, 09:49 AM

Typical Avid support, doesn't even recognize their product's basic behavior; something as simple as it's in midi sync mode waiting for external start, but asks for system details looking for something user centric to blame it on. Even ridicules user for not providing system details up front. Can't just give a quick answer because they are trained to pull you into a support call charge. Worst troubleshooting staff I've ever encountered, it's all about the support call charge and hanging you out to dry if that's what it takes.
Old 04-02-2018, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John003 View Post
Typical Avid support, doesn't even recognize their product's basic behavior; something as simple as it's in midi sync mode waiting for external start, but asks for system details looking for something user centric to blame it on. Even ridicules user for not providing system details up front. Can't just give a quick answer because they are trained to pull you into a support call charge. Worst troubleshooting staff I've ever encountered, it's all about the support call charge and hanging you out to dry if that's what it takes.
I was disgusted by the first two responses the whole time. It's crazy how the answer was given that solves this issue 99% before the OP even responded with the requested info and they still asked for more, after replying with smart (as in sarcastic) response. I registered just to agree because you made so much sense. I have been using Pro Tools since 2003 (latency and cream boxes) I have, yet, to find a need for this forum except for other people to talk to each other. What a first post.
Old 04-16-2020, 03:03 PM

I just had this problem on Pro Tools Ultimate 2020.3. Switching the HW Buffer Size did the trick.