Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Other Products > MIDI

Old 01-10-2002, 07:18 AM

Default Midi information rushed on first two beats

Sometimes when i am recording midi tracks, on playback, it's rushed right in the beginning. like if my midi track begins on bar one, beat one, and i start playback, it will rush the first two notes, then it lays back and becomes normal again. does anyone know what this might be caused by. it doesn't ALWAYS happen, but i haven't been able to weed out the variable that may be causing this.

- kip
Old 01-10-2002, 10:46 AM

Default Re: Midi information rushed on first two beats

Hey Six,

Big James again... All the Roland stuff seems to do this. Drove me crazy in the beginning (about 2 years ago). I even returned the first XP-30 thinking there was something wrong with it. I spoke at length with Roland tech support and just went up the ladder until I was referred to one of the engineers that actually designed the current Roland synth architecture for the XPs and XVs. It was explained to me that the little "jump" at the beginning is due to the amount of communication that needs to be passed between the program and the keyboard at the beginning of a sequence.

I set my PT and Digital Performer sequence templates at measure 0 (zero) instead of measure 1. Works perfectly fine. For punch-ins just add some pre-roll.

Took me a while to get used to all the different digital/computer related quirks cause I've been doing this in analog for over 25 years and when I jumped into computer recording I expected everything to always work perfectly... not true... seems analog had its quirks but digital/computer is like a finicky cat Get used to "workarounds";-).

Big James
Old 01-10-2002, 11:29 AM

Yeah, beat one of the sequence is often a drama for synths as this is usually where and when the synth must recall the instrument patch. Some synths sit in silence for a second or so (eg. Yamaha AN1x), while others play the patch minus effects for a second or so (eg. Kawai K5000S).

Solution: don't start your MIDI sequence right at the beginning of the timeline. Allow the synth to adjust for a second or so after the sequencer starts before hitting it with the first note(s).

Hey Big James... I'll get back to you in the next few days or so 'bout stuff (eg. Mackie mixer).

Phil
Old 01-10-2002, 12:59 PM

Try putting 2 blank bars at the start of tha sequence
Old 01-10-2002, 02:06 PM

Thanks everyone. It's always comforting to know it's not just me!

Just out of curiousity, would this be more prone to happen as i add more MIDI tracks? It seems that the first track or two tracks, it's fine, but once i get more involved with more tracks, and more patches and all, it begins happening.

Not that it's important to know, that i know how to work around it, just curious is all.

- kip
Old 01-10-2002, 05:15 PM

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by Flosstein:
Try putting 2 blank bars at the start of tha sequence<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

hehe.. believe it or not, that's what I was trying to say. I must learn to be succint!

Phil [img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
Old 01-10-2002, 05:23 PM

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by SixChurchStreet:
Just out of curiousity, would this be more prone to happen as i add more MIDI tracks? It seems that the first track or two tracks, it's fine, but once i get more involved with more tracks, and more patches and all, it begins happening.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Do you mean more MIDI tracks that are triggering the one MIDI synth? My guess would be yes, it'll be more prone to perculiar playback on initial playback.

While the synth's small-by-today's-standards CPU may be fine recalling one or two patches, if it's got to recall all sixteen in the nanosecond before it must sound the first note of the sequence, then it's sure to come a little unstuck.

Just follow the good advice posted above suggesting to insert a couple of blank measures at the start of the song and see what happens. Which reminds me, my Lexicon MPX500 effects unit also suffers the same fate in that it won't process any sounds 'til a split second after the sequence has started while its setting are recalled via MIDI.

Another similar experience...
My MIDI timing also becomes skewed as my CPU (G4 450MHz) becomes laden with audio plug-in duties, but that's a story for a another day/thread.

Hope that helps. Please post any more experiences you're having with it.

Phil
Old 01-13-2002, 05:02 AM

Hey Six,
Now you know And as all mentioned... just add 1 or 2 bars before seq start. As I mentioned; the easiest way is to create a template that starts at measure 0 or -0 (minus zero). That way you don't have to adjust each time you open a new seq, and your first full bar will always be "musically" correct at measure one... in case you ever need to print the score/song/etc.

Off Topic -
Hi Phil

Anytime

Big James