Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video

Old 09-03-2015, 06:16 AM

Default Speaker mute,unmute, record track mute,unmute for ADR

Hi Guys,

We are updating our console in one of our Large Mix rooms in which we also do ADR. We used to have a Harrison which had great flexibility for ADR but now have a D Control.
The main thing I am looking to find an elegant solution for is when we want to have a listen to a take on the speaker instead of on cans I need a way to simply mute the record channel and unmute the speaker so we don't get a feedback loop. Now the Harrison had soft keys that made this a simple job but I am struggling to find a similar one button push (foolproof) way of accomplishing this.
Has anyone any ideas on how to do it? Obviously doing these two things independently is not the option I want as it leaves too much room for error.

Thanks

Garret
Old 09-03-2015, 06:32 AM

Default Re: Speaker mute,unmute, record track mute,unmute for ADR

The safest way I have found... is to route it so the record track can NEVER go to the speakers. Because it just takes one feedback blast to really get someone pissed.
The solution I have used in situations similar to yours is to have dedicated playback tracks with no input that go to the speakers just below your record track... takes an extra click to drag it down... but it's worth it for safety IMO.
Old 09-03-2015, 06:47 AM

I would just patch the c'mon speaker outputs B to your headphone amp. When you are on speaker set A, you have sound through the mains and when you are on speaker set B, you are in the cans.
Custom Build CPU, HDX 1, Omni, 192 I/O Digital
S6 M10 24 fader
Satellite Mac Pro, HDNative, 192 I/0
Black Magic HD Extreme
Old 09-03-2015, 07:00 AM

I setup GPI triggered mutes via the SYNC HD & a BSS hardware monitor controller.
I've also setup triggered relays between amps/monitors in the past...
Old 09-03-2015, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norad155 View Post
The safest way I have found... is to route it so the record track can NEVER go to the speakers. Because it just takes one feedback blast to really get someone pissed.
The solution I have used in situations similar to yours is to have dedicated playback tracks with no input that go to the speakers just below your record track... takes an extra click to drag it down... but it's worth it for safety IMO.
This is definitely the safest way and the way I used to do it on a somewhat mickey mouse setup of an ADR stage, you just have to have quick hands to keep the talent happy.
Since then, that stage has been redone and the engineer set it up with "Controllermate" with an xkeys usb controller. You can build macros to the buttons with a somewhat user friendly drag and drop programming app. I got it for my studio to automate a few Icon features since I don't have an Icon. "preview", "punch preview", "master solo clear" etc.
Very cheap to test it out, was something like $99 for the 8 button with software.
Old 09-04-2015, 12:30 AM

Thanks guys

I will check out all those options. Al least I have a healthy work around while I check for other solutions.
Old 09-04-2015, 09:10 AM

I too use the Playback Only tracks.
Undertone on Facebook
Undertone Custom Sound Libraries

"Groupable markers would be epochal!"
-Starcrash
Old 09-04-2015, 01:03 PM

At one point in my life, I did this with VCA masters acting as "modes". If I can find my template from way-back-when, I'll post a link for you. Obviously, my routing was specific to that setup, but you can dissect it and make it your own. I used some applescripts (triggered by XKeys/EuCon and FastScripts) to automate setting up the beeps, copying the timecode location, and some other fancy stuff.

Here's a Google Drive download link

It's a pretty basic template, and was set up for a 1 mic record session. For traditional ADR, you'd probably want to turn this into a 2 mic session.

•2019 Mac Pro 3.5 GHz 8-Core Intel Xeon W - 48 GB 2666 MHz DDR4 (OS 10.15.5) •HD Native PCIe, HD Omni, 192 I/o, Pro Tools Ultimate •Avid S3 + Dock •Blackmagic Intensity Pro (HDMI) •5.1 Room with JBL LSR4300 series

Additional Systems

•2010 Mac Pro 2 x 2.66 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon - 48 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 (OS 10.14.6) •HD Native PCIe, 192 I/o, 96 I/o, Pro Tools Ultimate •McMix (x4), McControl (x1), JLCooper Surround panner for D-Command ES, Avid Control •Blackmagic Intensity Pro (HDMI) •7.1.4 Room with JBL LSR4300 series

•2017 MacBook Pro 2.8 GHz i7 - 16 GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3 (OS 10.14.6) •HD Native TB, HD Omni, Pro Tools Ultimate •McMix (x1), McControl (x1), Avid Control * or * D-Command ES Main Unit •Fed into whichever system is the main system

Last edited by Ryan Young; 09-04-2015 at 02:32 PM. Reason: added download link