Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video

Old 04-20-2024, 01:48 PM

Default Ulrtawide display recommendations

I've never used, or seen in person, an ultrawide display. My current main display is an LG 32" 2K which I'm planing to raise up above my speakers, it will be dedicated to video and non-PT stuff like Zoom, and maybe metering. So I'm needing to replace my main display. I'm looking at sizes of 34" to 40".

I see the larger displays (38"-40") are 1600 resolution, not 1440, which is what I'm used to. Anyone here using 1600? Are windows/text small?

And what about curved displays? Are they good to work with? Do they take getting used to?

B&H has a budget 40" display that gets good reviews. MSI MAG401QR.
It's not curved, and it's 1440. Looks interesting.
Old 04-20-2024, 01:56 PM
Development Partner

Default Re: Ulrtawide display recommendations

I've got a pair of BenQ PD3440Q monitors. They're 3440x1440 and have been working fine for several years. I think you may be looking at a single monitor and one of the BenQs might do it for you:
https://www.benq.com/en-us/monitor/p...l/pd3420q.html
Old 04-20-2024, 03:00 PM

I use a Dell U3821DW. It's 38" widescreen, slight curve, 3840x1600.
The current model is U3824DW. Almost exactly the same specs but slightly deeper black. The curve/radius is not deep so it isn't objectionable -- some are. 2300R (higher the number, less the curvature as that means 2300mm radius circle.) I think widescreen-ratio screens larger than 32-34" are better to have a little curve. And I really wanted to go to at least 1600 vertical pixels because the number of tracks viewable in the Edit window is limited by that. Felt strange to go to a "bigger" screen and not getting more tracks visible (which would have been the same at 1440 as my old screen)

Rtings.com is a good website to compare monitors as you can also find out what is comparable and which monitors use the same panels (thereby sometimes finding cheaper prices for the same screen). Another good site is www.displayspecifications.com as they do a lot of straight specs (like pixel density is a big influence on eye comfort and it's easy to see what all the screens are.)

I came from low height displays (to clear the center channel) so when I was looking for more real estate, minimizing vertical height was important. This one was nearly the same as my older 27" but more pixels. The screen density is perfect.
(I still use my older 27" as a side monitor Dell U2713H 2560x1440; it's where Soundminer goes to and any general notes, web browsers)
Old 04-20-2024, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BScout View Post
I use a Dell U3821DW. It's 38" widescreen, slight curve, 3840x1600.
The current model is U3824DW. Almost exactly the same specs but slightly deeper black. The curve/radius is not deep so it isn't objectionable -- some are. 2300R (higher the number, less the curvature as that means 2300mm radius circle.) I think widescreen-ratio screens larger than 32-34" are better to have a little curve. And I really wanted to go to at least 1600 vertical pixels because the number of tracks viewable in the Edit window is limited by that. Felt strange to go to a "bigger" screen and not getting more tracks visible (which would have been the same at 1440 as my old screen)

Rtings.com is a good website to compare monitors as you can also find out what is comparable and which monitors use the same panels (thereby sometimes finding cheaper prices for the same screen). Another good site is www.displayspecifications.com as they do a lot of straight specs (like pixel density is a big influence on eye comfort and it's easy to see what all the screens are.)

I came from low height displays (to clear the center channel) so when I was looking for more real estate, minimizing vertical height was important. This one was nearly the same as my older 27" but more pixels. The screen density is perfect.
(I still use my older 27" as a side monitor Dell U2713H 2560x1440; it's where Soundminer goes to and any general notes, web browsers)
Thanks so much for your excellent feedback! I will definitely check the sites you mention. Great to know that the curvature is spec'd out.

Keeping the vertical height low is really important - I recently got a dock with a small iPad, so the display needs to sit just above the iPad.

My only worry is that I'm accustomed to 1440 high resolution - on your Dell 1600p display which is basically 4K, do you find text looks small?
Old 04-20-2024, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Carnes View Post
I've got a pair of BenQ PD3440Q monitors. They're 3440x1440 and have been working fine for several years. I think you may be looking at a single monitor and one of the BenQs might do it for you:
thanks, I've been hearing good things about about BenQ
Old 04-20-2024, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by citysoundman View Post
My only worry is that I'm accustomed to 1440 high resolution - on your Dell 1600p display which is basically 4K, do you find text looks small?
No. The pixel density feels about the same as my old 27" (if I move a screen between the two, they look near the same.)

Find out what your current monitor's pixel density is (you can use the displayspecifications website to look up your current monitor) and then when looking at new monitors you'll have an idea of how much smaller/larger the text will be. The nice thing about newer monitors (besides generating less heat/using less energy) is they have thinner bezels. So you can have near the same outer dimensions but the actual screen is larger. That was the nice thing to get more vertical pixels without blocking more vertical height with the newer monitor bought 8 years later.

But pixel density is the number you want to have know for the text size. (higher density will have smaller text unless you use display scaling in the operating system -- but Pro Tools isn't great with scaling)

Last edited by BScout; 04-21-2024 at 11:39 AM.
Old 04-20-2024, 05:27 PM

Awesome, thanks so much :)
Old 04-21-2024, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Carnes View Post
I second the BenQ recommendation. I have the PD3200U and have been very happy with it.
Old 04-21-2024, 09:06 PM

I upgraded to a LG 34WN780-B this year. It is a non curved 34" UltraWide 3440 x 1440. Comes with an ergo arm mount. Absolutely fantastic so far.
Old 04-21-2024, 09:23 PM

I replaced a pair of Dell 30" monitors with a curved 40" Dell U4021QW.

At first the curve was interesting, but I soon grew to like it.

That being said, I still have 2 other 24" Dells off to either side for all my Audiosuite plugin windows that litter my desktop for DX cleanup work.... so the bench is even fuller than it was!

IMHO, the main thing for a PT monitor is vertical pixels = more tracks visible in large sessions. So the 5120W x 2160H is pretty nice. The older Dells did not play nicely with my Mac Studio computer so it was time to update.