Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-14-2002, 07:19 PM

Default How far can an audio output cable run ?

Hi,
The title sort of says it all. If I wanted to run an audio output cable from the main outs on the 001 to an amp that's some distance away, how badly would the signal be effected if it went 20 to 25 feet?

Are there any specific cables that would make this work better?

I'm going to do some research, but I'm sure some of you that have to build and run studios for a living have a good idea about this already.

I'm also looking into doing it with an optical link.

Thanks,
Mark
Old 05-14-2002, 08:09 PM

Default Re: How far can an audio output cable run ?

If you're running balanced cable then I don't see why you couldn't get a hundred feet.
Old 05-14-2002, 08:28 PM

Darren,
Hi. Thanks for responding.

No, single ended I'm afraid. Thanks for pointing that out though. I'm trying to take an output from the 001 to my home theater system which is about 20 feet away, so that I can mix with my left/right speakers on that system. (I have no near-fields.) The amp and speakers are at least reasonable, can play loud or soft, etc.

I was thinking that 20-30 feet of cable is going to look like a pretty big shunting capacitor and potentially suck off some high frequencies. It really comes down to how much drive the 001 driver has.

I'm wondering if this is going to be a small issue, in which case I'll just go get some cable. If it's going to be really bad, then I wouldn't bother.

I was also wondering if this is an app for a direct box of some type? And if so, how much wold that color the sound considerably?

Mark

Quote:
Originally posted by Mr_Seven:
If you're running balanced cable then I don't see why you couldn't get a hundred feet.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">
Old 05-15-2002, 01:53 PM

Darren (and others),
Is this an application for some sort of balanced to single ended converter? The 001 outputs are balanced, correct? Maybe I could run 25-30 feet with a balanced line, go through the converter/transformer/whatever and then single-ended for the last 1-2 feet?

Comments? Can anyone recommend a reasonably low-cost stereo converter?

Thanks,
Mark

Quote:
Originally posted by Mr_Seven:
Old 05-15-2002, 03:35 PM

My first thought when I read your post was (see illus.)

[digi001]-1/4unb.->[DI]>----25'xlr----->[DI]>-1/4unb>RCA->[AMP]

a 100' snake carrying mic level to a board is not uncommon. You shouldn't experience any deterioation in sound quality for the distance you describe.

Now you might also consider a wireless option. The only caveat is freq response of such.

I personally use the wireless method to push sound from my studio throughout the house. Any FM receiver/amp will work for a monitor.
Old 05-15-2002, 05:23 PM

Darren,
Very cool ideas. Makes a lot of sense now that I see your picture. What sort of price would I pay for a pair of ood stereo direct boxes? Any models you'd suggest I look at?

Actually, I'm trying to get from the 001 to a Sony receiver. Going wireless would be a very nice solution, but frequency response does matter as I'm looking at how to use my home theater system for real mixing. (I'm in the same room.)

Can you direct me towards some products to look at? And any you recommend or specifically don't like?

Thanks,
Mark
Old 05-15-2002, 09:09 PM

The first transformer in Mr Seven's map should be unnecessary. Your source is already balanced. At the input end use GOOD transformers (Jensen)pin 2 to RCA hot , pins 1 and 3 to RCA ground. This will give you a balanced line until right before the input and will also isolate the signal avoiding possible ground loops if your surround system is on a different circut. cheers Roly
Old 05-15-2002, 09:38 PM

Thanks Roly,
I sort of thought the 001 outputs were balanced. I appreciate your help.

Thanks,
Mark
Old 05-16-2002, 01:09 AM

O.K. Here is the Charlie Cheep way to do this:
The Outputs on the 001 are "balanced" Get Two Male 1/4 inch TRS (tip Ring Sleeve) phono to Male XLR Cables Any Length you want (Balanced lines were designed to go LONG distances) Get Two MTF60's from CARVIN for $15.99 each they are Line Transformers witch will handle the Hi/Low impedances change just fine. If your going into a "stereo" or other "RCA" device you will need two female 1/4 inch phono to RCA male adapters (avail @ any elect. store) Good Luck Bro
Old 05-17-2002, 08:19 PM

Roly,
I think I found the Jensen product you were suggesting. Looks quite nice, and the specs on the Jensen transformers look great.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Cheers,
Mark

http://www.jensen-transformers.com/pc2xr.html

Quote:
Originally posted by Roly:
The first transformer in Mr Seven's map should be unnecessary. Your source is already balanced. At the input end use GOOD transformers (Jensen)pin 2 to RCA hot , pins 1 and 3 to RCA ground. This will give you a balanced line until right before the input and will also isolate the signal avoiding possible ground loops if your surround system is on a different circut. cheers Roly