Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-30-2002, 11:59 AM

Default Anyone tried importing/exporting OMF files with Nuendo and PTLE?

I am about ready to move on to Nuendo but my lead singer is going to keep the 001. I need to know how difficult it will be to share sessions. Has anyone done this?
Old 01-31-2002, 12:09 AM

Default Re: Anyone tried importing/exporting OMF files with Nuendo and PTLE?

I have not done it. However, I have to say that a lot of people had many problems with audio files and other stuff. You can get it to work but it may not be a walk in the park. That's all.
http://volcanojazz.com
http://myspace.com/volcanojazz
Old 01-31-2002, 08:13 AM

I don't think that OMF is supported for PTLE. Your best bet to transport the sessions between platforms is to simply make sure all your audio files start at the same start point and are the same length. That way all you have to do is take the audio files over to the other system, load them in and place them in a new session at the same start times.
Old 01-31-2002, 09:16 AM

Apaulos,
You are on a great path I can see. I will be moving to Nuendo also if I don't upgrade to the PTHD in the next year. Look forward to hearing about your results. I often wonder why I stay with a company that is a major Mac developer when I could be with a company like Steinberg that is a major AMD developer. Good luck and keep me up to date.
Allen [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Old 01-31-2002, 10:23 AM

Allen, I've given some honest and objective thought to the HD system as well. Here's what I keep coming back to.

Open architecture is the way of the future...About 18 months ago I made a p3 750 system to run PTLE which cost me $2200 all told. About a year later I looked on this user conference and saw the Basstard getting twice the performance with a AMD 1.2 system. That was 5 months ago. I bet within the next 7 months AMD will double that!
PCs are developing exponentially, and at this rate there will be absolutely no barriers for DAWS within the next year.
When hundreds of companies large and small synergize you have true progress at competitive prices, but when any one company tries to "hold the keys" you have a true traffic jam. So the HD looks good today but...
I've still got to finish a couple projects before my boss...uh, I mean Wife will let me drop a few Grand though.
Word to the wise, marrying an accountant is a two-edged sword. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
Old 02-01-2002, 06:29 AM

Greetings APAULOS,

No OMF export from PTLE. If you have access to a TDM setup, you can transfer the session and then export it from the full version of PT.

Otherwise, you'll need to (nobble your sessions and) consolidate regions to get a zero start point.

Good luck with the new system.

Cheers,

Haigbabe
Old 02-01-2002, 01:35 PM

Thanks Haigbabe, bad news is better than no news. Well I definately want to stay compatible with my lead singer. I'll probably wind up running Nuendo and PTLE while keeping the 001 and adding a firewire interface for Nuendo. Anyone know how much that Apogee firewire card is?
P.s. I know I could probably find this in the manual, but how do you consolidate regions? Oh, and what did you mean by "noble my session"? Thanks all.
Old 02-01-2002, 02:04 PM

I believe that in order to use the Apogee Firewire card you first need an Apogee converter like the AD8000. Your best bet (and what I'm planning on once I get the extra cash) is to get the MOTU 896. You can then use the 896 as your A/D and D/A converter for both Pro Tools and Nuendo by connecting the ADAT optical ins and outs between the 896 and 001 card for Pro Tools, and connecting the firewire connection to a firewire PCI card for Nuendo. The best of both worlds--pretty slick!
Old 02-01-2002, 04:13 PM

Hey Zboy, True, you do need an Apogee a/d converter to use their firewire card. I was actually thinking about getting the Trak 2 for the front end...But the 896 does'look' pretty cool. Have you heard it?
Old 02-01-2002, 08:02 PM

Not yet. I'm going to GC this weekend to see if I can test it out. I'll report any findings.