Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 07-08-2012, 10:54 PM

Default Sample Rate 48khz playing slow

I've been recording in the studio at 48khz/24 on a mac running protools 9. I want to do some additional tracks at home on my Sony Viao Windows 7 running protools 8. I've tried opening the session and it gives me messages about plug-ins not available, that's ok, but then it is playing slow. So, I tried making a new session at 48khz and importing the files but it's still slow. any ideas?
Old 07-09-2012, 11:35 AM

Default Re: Sample Rate 48khz playing slow

It sounds like your files were recorded at 48K, but are now being played back at 44.1K. If you are clocked to an external clock, make sure it is at 48K.

If the studio was externally clocked at 48K and made the mistake of creating the session at 44.1K, then you'll need to import the tracks to a new session without using sample rate conversion (SRC), manually setting the destination rate to 48K.

Mac Studio, 64GB RAM, 1 TB SSD, Glyph 2TB USB3 HDD, OWC drive dock, Mac OS Monterey 12.6.8

Pro Tools Ultimate 2023.9, HD Native, Focusrite Red 8Pre

Presonus Faderport, Pro Tools | Control
Old 07-09-2012, 12:12 PM

Unhappy Re: Sample Rate 48khz playing slow

They said they did everything in 48k, I tried importing it without the SRC and same result.

I usually record at 44.1k on my local. But I've been triple checking that the rate is 48k on the creation of the session.

Could it be something with my mbox? I'm using the internal clock.
Old 07-09-2012, 12:49 PM

Try creating a new session at 44.1K, import session data, and UNcheck the SRC box.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 07-09-2012, 02:05 PM

I'm pretty sure I tried that as well, but I will try again when I get home. Thanks for the reply.
Old 07-09-2012, 08:01 PM

I tried it again creating a session at 44.1 and importing the session data with the audio files unchecking the SRC. still running slow... think it's something with my PC? please help
Old 07-09-2012, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gphyr View Post
I tried it again creating a session at 44.1 and importing the session data with the audio files unchecking the SRC. still running slow... think it's something with my PC? please help
Still running slow? Exactly the same ... as before? In which case you have done something wrong.

Are you checking the "SRC" checkbox AND then changing the source clock rate in the pull down? Your session should be at 44.1 kHz and you should be manually selecting a source clock rate of 48kHz in the "source sample rate" pulldown.

Doing this basic process will absolutely change the sample rate/pitch of any imported session. You can play with the different source clock rate settings. You should be able to import audio file and create huge differences in pitch based on selecting above or below the actual used sample rate used. If you do that - do you hear a wide range of pitches? If you cannot get that to happen you are doing something really simple wrong. If you are still stuck can you post a screen shot of that import dialog screen... post it somewhere like flickr and post the link here.

Darryl