Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-02-2022, 06:34 AM

Default LKFS for radio spots

Is there a loudness level standard for radio spots? If not, then best practices?

System 2: Pro Tools 23.9 (no Hardware), Mac OS 13.2.1, MBP (Macbook Air M2, 2022 24Gig Ram)
Old 02-02-2022, 07:06 AM

Default Re: LKFS for radio spots

Depends on the distribution pipeline but I generally mixing radio to -24 LKFS, -6TP and haven’t ever gotten a kickback. Just recently did a bunch of spots for CBS this way and there were no issues. This was their request.

Recently when I’ve seen a spec, it’s usually -24 +-2
Old 02-02-2022, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by its2loud View Post
Depends on the distribution pipeline but I generally mixing radio to -24 LKFS, -6TP and haven’t ever gotten a kickback. Just recently did a bunch of spots for CBS this way and there were no issues. This was their request.

Recently when I’ve seen a spec, it’s usually -24 +-2
Here’s a good reference for all thing audio level related.

https://www.rtw.com/en/blog/worldwid...standards.html
Old 02-03-2022, 10:05 AM

I have been delivering international radio programming for over 20-years and when the LKFS standard came in for TV, we still kept the same we had been using for Radio.

ALL of our audio suites, whether for Radio or TV post, are using the TC Electronics Clarity M Stereo for level confirmation. https://www.tcelectronic.com/product...odelCode=P0DC8

Everything we do for Radio is at -14LKFS (LUFS) keeping peaks at -2dBFS and have never had an issue. For the extremely affordable price of the Clarity, I can't recommend it enough for ANYONE doing post.
Old 02-03-2022, 01:37 PM

-23LUFS is the spec requested for the stuff i do. One of the bigger components is the loudness range. Making stuff sound too radio-y with limited loudness range often has the opposite effect once it hits the broadcast processors and airwaves.
Pro Tools Ultimate 2024.3. OSX 13.6.5. Win 10. HD Native. Lynx AES16e. Lynx Aurora 16. i9-13900KF. ASRock Z690 Steel Legend. 64GB Ram. AMD Vega 64. BM Decklink. Dolby Atmos Renderer 5.2. Trinnov D-Mon. D-Command.
Old 02-03-2022, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Seaberg View Post
I have been delivering international radio programming for over 20-years and when the LKFS standard came in for TV, we still kept the same we had been using for Radio.

ALL of our audio suites, whether for Radio or TV post, are using the TC Electronics Clarity M Stereo for level confirmation. https://www.tcelectronic.com/product...odelCode=P0DC8

Everything we do for Radio is at -14LKFS (LUFS) keeping peaks at -2dBFS and have never had an issue. For the extremely affordable price of the Clarity, I can't recommend it enough for ANYONE doing post.
I also do -14LUFS for bog standard radio. Except for certain distribution platforms that give a target like -23 or -24.
Old 02-04-2022, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDS View Post
-23LUFS is the spec requested for the stuff i do. One of the bigger components is the loudness range. Making stuff sound too radio-y with limited loudness range often has the opposite effect once it hits the broadcast processors and airwaves.
Totally agree!!! We try to keep as much dynamic range as possible as the station/network will have its own processing ahead of the transmitter to make everything sound the same. Keep your dynamics intact!!!
Old 02-04-2022, 11:43 AM

Sadly radio has never been as on top things as television or film (even podcasts). I used to deliver everything at television broadcast spec of -24lufs, For the last couple years it's been -14lufs, as I've found that a lot of my radio stuff has been used for ad placement on podcasts/spotify/YouTube/other streaming media and so adhere to their spec.