Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-13-2003, 10:00 AM

Default Syncronizing Roland

Hello,

I am looking if anyone can tell me how to sync a Roland VS1680 with Pro Tools on a 15" Titanium Power Book using the M-Box.

To explain it as simple as possible: I need to transfer 16 tracks from the Roland into Pro-Tools 2 tracks at a time. Instead of recording the tracks in and then trying to manually sync them together in Pro Tools I wouls like to be able to Hit record in Pro Tools and have the Roland start at the same time using a "sync" mode. I know it can be done with other Pro Tools systems but I am having problems doing it with the M-Box.

If any one can help that would be greatful. If you can help please explain it to me as if you where setting it up for the first time.

Regards,
Un-synced
Old 05-21-2003, 09:56 PM

Default Re: Syncronizing Roland

I'm stumped with this same issue on the 001 using LE for Mac OSX. Gosh I hope someone figures it out.
Old 05-22-2003, 03:43 AM

Just Starting, I had to do something similar when transfering from Cubase on PC to PT on the Mac.
From memory, I got Cubase, via a Layla card, to output MIDI timecode to the input of the 001. I then successfully digitally transferred 2 tracks at a time.
In your situation, does the Roland output Midi timecode which PT could lock to, or does the 002 output MTC that the Roland could lock to? Then once the machines are rolling, you just go into record on the 002.
Good luck! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Old 05-22-2003, 10:02 AM
Avid

Hello,

You can only transfer 2 tracks at any one time from the S/PDIF out of the VS880/1680 into Pro Tools. The following steps are how to transfer to/from the VS1680 via RCA S/PDIF:

First, configure the VS1680 as a device within the OMS Setup application:
-Connect the MIDI OUT of the VS1680 to the MIDI IN of the MIDI interface and vice versa.
-Open OMS Setup and Choose Studio>New Device.
-Choose Manufacturer=Roland and Model=VS1680
-Enable Sends and Receives MTC and MMC.
-Click OK. Drag and drop the device icon on top of a port on the MIDI interface to create a virtual connection (if one exists, delete the “keyboard with a question mark” icon).
-Save the setup and Quit OMS.

In Pro Tools:
-Setup > Hardware > Input 1-2 digital
-Setups>Hardware: Digital Sync mode=RCA (S/PDIF)
-Setups->Peripherals->Synchronization-> device=Generic MTC reader, port= VS1680
-Windows>Show Session Setup Window: Sample rate of the session must match the sample rate of the remote device
-Sync mode on remote device must be set to Internal
-Use high quality, 75 ohm, unshielded, coaxial cable for all S/PDIF transfers
-Create 2 tracks in your Pro Tools Session and set them to Input 1-2 digital (S/PDIF)
-Windows->Show Session Setup-> Session Start= beginning of session on roland
-Frame Rate= same as roland
-Windows-> Show Transport Window-> Transport= Pro Tools-> click Online button

When you play the roland Pro Tools should chase the incoming TC.

I hope this helps.

Mike