Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 03-13-2003, 08:20 PM

Default Mbox surprise

Huh. So I got this MBox thinking it was pretty cool, and I'd get some PT6LE to get started with. Neat, because it supports OSX, and I like that. After fiddling around with it for a bit, I realize that there's no audio driver for this thing, even though PT recognizes it just fine. Then I come to this forum (finally) and read that this is something that is known.

I still cannot find any documentation that says that this item is NOT an OS X compatible audio I/O. It's not explicated on the box or this website that it won't work with ANY program other than PT. So what should I do, just return this thing? I read some talk on here that people hope that these drivers are forthcoming.....are they?

I can't fathom how this is not a big problem for a lot of people. The MBox is clearly aimed at home/small studios. This means that most of these computers are doing double/triple duty. Is it rediculous to ask that my audio interface plays audio?

So I'm not sure, I guess. I'm thinking I might return it, but I can't tell if that's hasty. Is there anyone in a similar situation that could shed some light on this interface under X? I'd appreciate it, and my apologies if this is rant-y, I'm a bit miffed, and I can't even get some simple iTunes through my monitors [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

-Peter
Old 03-13-2003, 09:25 PM

Default Re: Mbox surprise

CoreAudio drivers will be available by the end of march so you can use it with other apps and as your Mac audio output. The Mbox uses Digidesign's DAE for audio processing, that's why you don't see it as an option at the AudioMIDI setup utility.
Old 03-13-2003, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by mister_peter:
Huh. So I got this MBox thinking it was pretty cool, and I'd get some PT6LE to get started with. Neat, because it supports OSX, and I like that.
-Peter
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">that's all you needed to decide on such a purchase? maybe it's just me, but with all the options out there I would have considered a little more research into the matter. But anyway what's done is done and if you can still take it back, you may want to do so, even if it means going back to it later on.

Ask yourself what you wish to accomplish, what type of music? Are you into recording live instruments or would you fancy a plethora of soft-synths and samplers, etc? Is a limited track count a big factor?

There's much more to it than those very basics I mentioned, you can find plenty of info right here, in fact there's a very recent thread of a similar nature. You can do a search, you'll find more info to chew on than the entire NBL's gum supply.

We all have our reasons for loving (and sometimes hating) ProTools, but these are the things you learn over time, just as there are those who love Logic or Cubase and won't have a go at a switch. Having said that, a little more investigation wouldn't go amiss.

good luck.
Old 03-14-2003, 08:46 AM

thanks for the relpies. Sorry for the late-night rant.

J. Guerrero: If I only have to wait until the end of March, that's fine with me. Do you think that timeline is accurate?

pk_hat: I appreciate your comments. I was indeed a bit short with my first post - guess I was just a bit excited. Let me better articulate my situation.

I am definitely a hobby-level musician. I was a user of DP for a while, but wanted to move to X. I did, and no sequencer followed except Logic, then PT6. So my options were to dive into PT by buying a Mbox or 001 or go for Logic and use my existing M-Audio interface, seeing as I really don't like Cubase at all (not to start a discussion on that). DP for X seems like it is permanently in development, and using their beta drivers as a gauge of their deliverables, I'm ready to move on. To me, this was enough to go for 001 or Mbox.

That said, I still need to use Peak a lot. Also, my fiancee uses my computer and both of us like to play iTunes through the monitors. Also, I like to not have to unplug the USB cable from the back of my computer every time I restart. Hm - that's really the extent of my gripes. All of this will be solved if and when a good CoreAudio driver comes out (I assume).

so...hopefully that end of March estimate is good.

-Peter
Old 03-14-2003, 09:01 AM

Another note:

I only found out the above issues from this board. When I see that a audio interface claims X compatibility, I (rightfully) assume that means it has X drivers. That is what everyone else means, at least. Maybe it is a lack of research, but it seems misleading to me.

-Peter
Old 03-14-2003, 09:22 AM

Using the search function above in this forum Audio drivers OSX = this issue has been discussed to death

[img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img]

1.25 Alu/1.5 ram/10.3.4
PTLE 6.4-002R-Live-Reason
Old 03-14-2003, 11:07 AM

talk about haste, I bought the mBox a bit early myself! I was told by Digi that the XP drivers would be out by early June 2002. Well then I got another reply stating that it might be early winter. I was pissed, but I did the next best thing. I bought a G4 933, and that was weeks after I had the mBox and two weeks before the new dual G4 releases! In the end Im glad I did what I did. The new G4s are noisy and the XP version sucks cause it dont work on my Dell:P
No loss:O)
Old 03-14-2003, 01:51 PM

Thx, DesertDude and all. I guess I'll trust that this will actually happen, and go ahead an get myself aquainted w/ PT6. As I (may have) said, I can wait a couple weeks without iTunes and whatnot through my setup. But not a couple months [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

-Peter
Old 03-15-2003, 12:18 AM

from the horses mouth

[img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img]

1.25 Alu/1.5 ram/10.3.4
PTLE 6.4-002R-Live-Reason