Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Windows
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-29-2017, 08:27 AM

Default PT and CPU usage

Maybe one of you computer savvy folks can help me understand this. I do not understand the CPU meter in the System Window in PT. One of my VI's, Synapse Audio's Dune 2, is a bit of resource hog. I wanted to see how much. So I opened an empty session, instantiated one instance of Dune 2, and played 1 patch. I turned the multithreading on in Dune 2. Just playing the patch live via my midi keyboard, and the CPU meter in PT pegs out in red at 100% falling back to around 70% depending on how many notes I'm playing. Changing the Disk playback doesn't seem to make too big a difference either.

But, and here's the confusing part, if I look at the CPU meter on my Windows usage screen (not the PT one), it says that PT alone with nothing going on uses about 3% CPU, but once I start playing the patch in Dune 2, it jumps to about 25-30% CPU usage. But the PT meter goes 70-100%. What accounts for the difference? What exactly is the PT meter measuring? I'm just trying to understand it.

Old 08-29-2017, 08:53 AM

Default Re: PT and CPU usage

Great question Donald. I've basically given up on trying to figure that out and chalked it up to a "Mystery Of Pro Tools Science".

www.LightWingStudios.com

Musical Instrument Protection Accessories...Made In America.

Dell Precision T7910, Dual Processors (total 20 Cores), 128GB RAM, 4 @ 2TB SSDs, 1 @ 4TB HDs, Nvidia 2GB Dual Monitor Card, Dual LG 48" TVs used as Monitors, Arturia 88 Midi Controller, Black Lion USB Audio Interface, Mackie HR-828 Monitors, Katana Head, Fishman Triple Play, Win 10 Pro, PT 2023.3 Studio, only the Plugins I NEED, WAY TOO MANY Guitars...and an AMAZING wife!

AxeShield HD, AmpShield HD, KeyShield HD, AxeSak, AxeGlove, AxeCap & PedalShield
Old 09-05-2017, 04:27 AM

I too have Dune 2. I'm on Windows 7 with PT 12.8.

I've noticed that some of the patches can be really resource hungry (like some pads) but most are pretty CPU friendly.

Have you tried many different patches?
Are you on Windows 7 or 10?
Old 09-05-2017, 05:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonaldM View Post
Maybe one of you computer savvy folks can help me understand this. I do not understand the CPU meter in the System Window in PT. One of my VI's, Synapse Audio's Dune 2, is a bit of resource hog. I wanted to see how much. So I opened an empty session, instantiated one instance of Dune 2, and played 1 patch. I turned the multithreading on in Dune 2. Just playing the patch live via my midi keyboard, and the CPU meter in PT pegs out in red at 100% falling back to around 70% depending on how many notes I'm playing. Changing the Disk playback doesn't seem to make too big a difference either.

But, and here's the confusing part, if I look at the CPU meter on my Windows usage screen (not the PT one), it says that PT alone with nothing going on uses about 3% CPU, but once I start playing the patch in Dune 2, it jumps to about 25-30% CPU usage. But the PT meter goes 70-100%. What accounts for the difference? What exactly is the PT meter measuring? I'm just trying to understand it.
I have no idea how it's calculated or how it actually comes up with the percentage, but from what I understand, the CPU meter in PT does not measure how much of the CPU is being used, like the one in Windows Task Manager. Rather it is a indication of CPU load for your current session. So, if you have one CPU intensive plug-in, it could demand 90% of the CPU resources, which indicates that there isn't much left and you will probably hit errors if you add more. I'm not sure if the plug-in reports a needed CPU load, similar to how it reports latency.....

Would be nice if an Avid rep could chime in....

System Details
Old 09-05-2017, 06:03 AM

According to the reference manual,

CPU Meters
The CPU Total meter displays session performance
for Elastic Audio processing, Clip Gain processing,
and Native plug-in and mixer processing.
The individual CPU meters provide a general indication
of how much Pro Tools is using each of the
processors in your computer.
Dell Precision 490 Workstation, dual 4 core 5355 Xeon, 16gb Samsung DDR2 ECC Ram - Windows 7 Ultimate - Nvidia GTX 650 - 3 x Internal WD Blacks - PT 2018.3 - Digi 002R - Original Mackie HUI - 3 screens - JBL Monitoring.
Dell XPS 8700 i7-4790 - 24gb RAM - Windows 10 - Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB with Studio driver 546.01 - 2 x Internal Samsung 860 EVO SSDs, and MSATA card - Davinci Resolve Studio 18.6.4 - 3 screens - Blackmagic Speed Editor - MK1 Presonus Faderport - Canon C100 mk2 - Atomos Ninja 2 - Zoom H2n
Old 09-05-2017, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisdee View Post
I too have Dune 2. I'm on Windows 7 with PT 12.8.

I've noticed that some of the patches can be really resource hungry (like some pads) but most are pretty CPU friendly.

Have you tried many different patches?
Are you on Windows 7 or 10?
I'm on Win-10, and yes, different patches use different levels of resources, but, even so, over-all, Dune 2 is a bit of a resource hog. So is Xfer's Serum, and quite often, Omnisphere. Its the nature of the beasts!

Old 09-05-2017, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizzoboy View Post
According to the reference manual,

CPU Meters
The CPU Total meter displays session performance
for Elastic Audio processing, Clip Gain processing,
and Native plug-in and mixer processing.
The individual CPU meters provide a general indication
of how much Pro Tools is using each of the
processors in your computer.
Yes, I know that's what the manual says, but it doesn't really make sense if PT is using, say, 90% of processor power, and the general Windows meter shows 27%...its a bit confusing as to what exactly the meter is telling you.

Old 09-05-2017, 07:53 AM

Make sure CPU cores are un-parked.
Click for audio/video demo
Click for resume
Old 09-05-2017, 08:36 AM

What I will never understand is why just opening PT without any session open would sometimes take half the CPU, sometimes even with red spikes (this happens one day without making any other changes)
Old 09-05-2017, 10:38 AM

"What I will never understand is ..."

Do all AVID recommended system tweaks
Post your complete system specs including a Sandra report
Ask a clear & concise question
Thoroughly read the "Help Us Help You" tab at the top of the forum page

Then...

we will help you understand.
Click for audio/video demo
Click for resume