Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > ICON & C|24

Old 10-10-2012, 05:38 AM

Default X-Mon/D-Command Communication Problems

Hi - This is my first post so please be gentle....

So, basically I've been experiencing a connection problem between my X-Mon and the D-Command. The first time this happened it was during the update from PT HDX 10.1 to 10.2. I was prompted to update the firmware on the D-Command and suddenly the X-Mon was no longer being detected.

I checked all the cabling and re-installed PT, (at the advice of the Avid Re-seller), and after a bit of trial and error it all came back on line and has been rock solid for a few months, until...

Yesterday I cycled the power on the main fader unit of my D-Command and again it lost the X-Mon and kept demanding firmware updates.

I turned everything off, unplugged and re-plugged cables, booted back up, no joy. I even reset the main fader pack.

Now, I am using a custom cable for the X-Mon connection because the machine room is too far away to run the supplied cable. But it was made following the exact instructions from Avid and has been working absolutely fine until now. However, I moved the X-Mon to the studio and used the supplied cable, it worked after a few restarts. Then I took it back to the machine room and plugged in the custom cable and it all worked....

So everything is working again now but obviously I'm concerned it will happen again when I have clients in a session.

My question is, eventually, has anyone else experienced this and if so did you find a solution?

My equipment is a follows:

Mac Pro OSX 10.7.5
PT HDX 10.2
D-Command Firmware 10.0.0.0
Motor Firmware 10.0.0.0
X-Mon Firmware 11

Thanks in advance
Old 10-15-2012, 05:32 AM

Default Re: X-Mon/D-Command Communication Problems

No one?

It happened again this morning, straight after a power cut, we lost power to the desk but not the X-Mon. After the power came back on the D-command lost the X-Mon again and needed a firmware upgrade again so I'm guessing there's a problem with the desk.

Appreciate any thoughts, I can't believe I'm the only one with this issue?
Old 10-15-2012, 10:01 AM

try it with a regular cable ?
Old 10-16-2012, 02:18 AM

Thanks for being conscientious and replying to both posts Francois. As you can see from my original post, plugging in with the original cable and restarting several time seemed to cure it, until the power got cycled again on the main fader unit. The cable we use is only custom cause it's longer, the wiring is still the same. I spose that's the definition of custom though...

I'm beginning to think it might be a problem with the main fader unit because it requires a firmware update every time it gets turned off and on again.

Maybe I'll post again with firmware problems in the title.

Thanks for the reply.