Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > AAX Plug-ins
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-15-2021, 12:22 PM

Default To WUP or Not to WUP...that is the question...

...whether tis nobler to suffer the consequences of older versions and the lack of the latest updates, or to take up the charge to the latest updates and receive the new presets and settings, and thus have more at hand...that is the rub. (Sorry Shakespeare!)

As has been noted elsewhere Waves is offering the possibility to WUP for 25% off. So instead of $240 max, it will be $180 for all eligible Waves plugs. I haven't WUP'd since Waves 7 or 8 as I recall. I'm seriously considering doing it one last time to take advantage of the lower cost.

But should I? I do use Waves plugs a lot. I've always liked them. Will I gain $180 worth of additional use and power by WUPing now?

If I don't do it now, I doubt I ever will.

Thoughts?

Old 11-15-2021, 12:32 PM

Default Re: To WUP or Not to WUP...that is the question...

Waves has broken their promises one too many times.

Remember two decades ago when gold bundle was "everything" they will ever sell? Not so. Fast forward to promising "we will support all major platforms" and then deciding that AAX-DSP is not a major platform.

Once they support AAX-DSP that is the day when I WUP my Mercury "plus everything" but not a day before.
Old 11-15-2021, 01:59 PM

I concur. Besides, Waves plugins are so '90s. Many other and better options available nowadays. They're just milking the cow.
Old 11-15-2021, 02:30 PM

I have a giant list of Waves plugins that once were indispensable.

I haven't used or installed them for years.

Formerly hobotom

Pro Tools Ultimate 2024 HDX Hybrid
HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Ampex MM1200 2" 24 trk tape
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.
Plug-ins: Too many to talk about.

www.metrostudios.com
Old 11-15-2021, 02:59 PM

My 2 cents; I own and use several Waves plugins(I tried to drop them back when the AAX conversion happened, but ultimately couldn't get what I wanted without them). Back to the present; having bought over a long time period, my WUP dates are all over the map(err.....calendar?), but as all are still working(I have a mix of 10, 11 and 12), I am waiting for the most recent to reach the WUP date so I can update everything in a single purchase(but I do plan on updating when that time arrives)

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 11-15-2021, 03:19 PM

Sometimes it’s not even worth WUPing as a sale on a bundle works out cheaper.

Example, Diamond bundle cost me $50 which was half my Gold bundle WUP and also included some single plugins I had separately. Now the majority of them are in one bundle.

As Albee mentioned, if your plugins continue to work, don’t WUP unless you want something that’s been added to the bundle.

Yes, a lot of their plugins are old but I still use a couple religiously. RenComp is a staple for me and I have a tonne of plugin comps as well as HW comps.

Each to their own.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-15-2021, 03:58 PM

I’ll wup when something isn’t supported. I like their no penalties for not doing it every year.

I like a lot of waves plugs. R-Bass, phase linear eq, dorrough and loudness meter. Only frustrating thing is the voucher when I have mercury and abbey road already.

Instagram:
https://www.instagram.com/sparkletune/
Old 11-15-2021, 05:06 PM

I'll skip WUP for now & just keep using the v11 & v12 plugs I already paid for.
Click for audio/video demo
Click for resume
Old 11-15-2021, 06:40 PM

The deal on WUP seems to be recurrent, so when you'll change your system significantly and the newer versions, there's a good chance you'll find a WUP deal (or whitin 1-2 months).

PT Ultimate 2022.10 on macOS 12.6.1
Old 11-16-2021, 05:18 AM

WUPing once in a while can make sense, especially if you get a new computer and OS. I am not a huge fan of the cost. That said, not that many manufacturers give every update for free either. With WUP you'll get new products added which lessens the pain.

You should always consider your upgrade options as you will get a year's support for the products and it might be cheaper or more cost-effective than WUPing. Once you get to Mercury + Studio Classics you'll have nowhere to go though

I have plugins from many manufacturers but Waves still hit the spot pretty often. The graphics need updating globally. There's just a few that have been sorted. V13 should have got them all up to hi-res IMHO. Waves are dragging their heels in this respect but at the end of the day no one listening to your mixes will see your plugins.

Stephen

https://www.waves.com/r/djgsi6