Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2019

Old 03-22-2020, 01:15 PM

Default Recordings not placed in timeline accurately

Pro Tools 2019 is placing recordings late in the timeline. I tested it with a consolidated click sent out and back in again:

This is rock-solid on Logic Pro. Anyone else experiencing this?

Macbook Pro 2012
OS 10.14.6
Pro Tools 19.12.0.534
Universal Audio Apollo x8p

Last edited by scottgreiner; 03-22-2020 at 01:29 PM.
Old 03-22-2020, 02:37 PM

Default Re: Recordings not placed in timeline accurately

I see 1024 samples delay. What's your H/W buffer set at?
Old 03-22-2020, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottgreiner View Post
Pro Tools 2019 is placing recordings late in the timeline. I tested it with a consolidated click sent out and back in again:

This is rock-solid on Logic Pro. Anyone else experiencing this?

Macbook Pro 2012
OS 10.14.6
Pro Tools 19.12.0.534
Universal Audio Apollo x8p
As pointed out, looks like you are just seeing the IO buffer here.

What are you doing/recording when you have your actual problem? What IO buffer size are you using there? Measure the latency in samples in Pro Tools if you can and let us know what that is ... much more helpful that "late in the timeline".

And since you are using UAD. If you are trying to track, hopefully you are being careful with using UAD plugins in Pro Tools, not requiring that to have you run with large IO buffers. Disabling any of those plugins, freezing or printing tracks and running with a small IO buffer. And if you need UAD plugins in monitoring paths maybe doing all that in the UAD console.
Old 03-22-2020, 08:25 PM

My buffer is at 1024, and that's the amount that the recordings are late in the timeline. You can see the highlighted selection in the transport.

Every interface reports its buffer latency to the DAW via its driver, and the DAW places recordings into the timeline correctly per that amount, regardless of buffer setting. This normally works perfectly in Pro Tools, and now it doesn't. To be sure it wasn't a firmware error in the Apollo, I did the same test in Logic Pro - it was spot-on:

Last edited by scottgreiner; 03-22-2020 at 08:39 PM.
Old 03-23-2020, 06:21 AM

Remove any plugins in the record path. Check again. Then start adding plugins, one at a time.
Waves H-eq was causing major latency in the record path for me, so I ditched it.
Old 03-23-2020, 06:35 PM

There are no plugins in the session. It sounds like no one else is having this problem?
Old 03-24-2020, 09:27 AM

Pro Tools will shift midi and other tracks even, if I have any plugins on the Master Bus while I am recording. I always have to make 'inactive' everything on the Master bus before recording.

Also, FYI, doing a 'Bypass' is not enough. 'Inactive' works for me.

This may not be what you are experiencing. But info is always good to share.
Frank
Old 03-24-2020, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottgreiner View Post
My buffer is at 1024, and that's the amount that the recordings are late in the timeline. You can see the highlighted selection in the transport.

Every interface reports its buffer latency to the DAW via its driver, and the DAW places recordings into the timeline correctly per that amount, regardless of buffer setting. This normally works perfectly in Pro Tools, and now it doesn't. To be sure it wasn't a firmware error in the Apollo, I did the same test in Logic Pro - it was spot-on:
The big buffer(s) that might provide high latency are not in the interface and Pro Tools does not really need that reported by a driver... it's hopefully setting that value. Pro Tools normally corrects for this in placement in the timeline. .. unless it's confused (like when sharing output paths see my last comment). Pro Tools standard does not correct for converter latency, Pro Tools Ultimate/Professional does, at least on HD hardware AFAIK.

What happens when you set the HW Buffer Size to as small as it can go? Do you still see a ~1024 sample latency? If so you are seeing the fixed size (1k, 2K, 4K depending on sample rate) playback buffer not the "HW buffer" that you are adjusting in the playback engine settings.

What exactly are you doing here? What exact signal paths, inputs and outputs on the tracks. Make things as simple as possible with just two tracks in a new session. Make sure that the track you are playing back and the track you are recording to have different output paths.
Old 03-27-2020, 02:01 PM

The late placement corresponds to the buffer size. I switched to 64 sample buffer and it follows:

What led me to investigate was laying down a quick scratch-bass line to a loop - no plugins in the session. Upon playback, I was appalled at how out-of-the-pocket my playing was. Seemed pretty spot-on while I was playing it! So I consolidated a section of click; sent it out a line output; and plugged that back into the Hi-Z input of the Apollo where the bass was plugged into; and recorded the result. As you can see, it's placed into the timeline late by the buffer amount.

I've been using Pro Tools since Sound Designer, and have had many different interfaces, including an HD rig. This is a bug, or at least something wrong with my system. As I said earlier, other DAWs aren't exhibiting this problem - just Pro Tools Ultimate 2019.

Last edited by scottgreiner; 03-28-2020 at 09:16 AM.
Old 03-30-2020, 02:50 AM

this kind of misbehavior has populated Protools since forever they just cant get it right...