Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools M-Powered (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-13-2005, 10:40 PM

Default CPU errors, etc.

my Mpowered will not play or record with the simplest task. each time i attempt to playback one track i was lucky to record, it provides different Dialog error boxes stating either : "the operating system held off interrupts for too long. if this occurs often, try increasing the "H/W Buffer Size" in the Playback Engine dialog." which i do and the more common error i recieve is "you are running out of CPU power. Remove some RTAS plug-ins or increase the CPU Usage Limit in the Playback Engine dialog." i do this as well to the max allowed of 85% and still the dialog repeats. does anyone have any ideas that may help. i purchased this software a little more than a month ago and it is yet to work. i need to produce and i am unable to use Pro Tools as it will not allow anything. ive purchased the M-Audio firewire 410, Pyro PCI 64 card, 512 more RAM and a hard drive with the proper chipset and still no go, nothing. these purchases were the recommended response of tech support.
my system is a G4 powerMac 1 ghz single processor with the OS 10.3.9
any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Old 10-19-2005, 09:13 PM

Default Re: CPU errors, etc.

ive had Pro Tools M-powered for six weeks now. it has never worked in that time , ive constantly been in contact with tech support, ive experienced depression and now my tech support has run out and it still does not function at all. ive spent over $700 in loan money and now i have to pay it back, but protools still does not work. therefore, if anyone would like to purchase the hardware and even the software please contact me so i can perhaps get a little money back to assist with repaying this loan.
i have protools mpowered 6.8, m-audio firewire 410, pyro pci 64 firewire card. everything is in brand new shape. make an offer.
Old 10-20-2005, 03:33 AM

Rahbeat, I feel your pain... I'm going to ask the simplest questions.

Have you gone through Digi's trouble shooting?
Have you double checked to see that Ram isn't defective?
Have you tried ONLY using Digi Plug-ins and not third party?
What is your track count?
What is your plug-in count?

BTW, where are you? do you live anywhere close to LA?
Old 10-20-2005, 02:11 PM

hey Chris,
ive gone through trouble shooting on digidesigns page, the ram(2x512 and 1x256)is working fine, i have not added any plug-ins and therefore, to my knowledge i am not accessing plug-ins, my track count is one 10 second track,. thanks for any ideas. im in richmond, virginia currrently trying to figure a solution.
Old 10-20-2005, 08:16 PM

rahbeat, you're certain the drive is functioning properly and all the necessary evil has been down...? Have you tried Disk Warrior, repaired permissions, etc...? We'll try to get to the bottom of this...
Old 10-20-2005, 09:38 PM

well i uninstalled Digidesign protools and reinstalled then went through the trouble shooting for macs again trashing, repairing, verifying etc. and Pro Tools worked! i was able to record, edit, compress, etc. and at that point i was afraid to quit-out of the program, but i did and when i reopened well, it had the same errors. so at that point i thought i'd go through the trouble shoot list one by one restarting aft each section. so after the disk repair and verify in utilities i reopened and it works. so seems after closing pro tools i need to repair before each session. seems odd, but atleast i have a way in. i'll continue working with this hopefully finding the problem, but if i have to repair each time, atleast i can access Pro Tools.
thanks so much for your assistance.
-Robbie
Old 10-21-2005, 12:09 AM

Robbie, I religiously repair permissions, run Disk Warrior etc. Not just because of Pro Tools buts it's good medicine for any system. Glad to see your more than 3 quarter way in. For any failed PT system, Digi's trouble shooting list should cover all the bases. The rest is how each of us personally treat our computers.