Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools

Old 11-30-2021, 03:23 AM

Default Re: Pro Tools won't record MIDI from Plugin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heggi View Post
Hi Dave!

Yes, it definitely seems like it should work...

I only set up both tracks (instrument and MIDI) to show that none are recording. With the Instrument track the screen capture is a bit sloppy I admit. Just as I started recording, the cursor reached the end of the marked area. I actually routed Trigger to both tracks independently. So it's the same with both types of track, unfortunately.

What bums me the most is that both tracks receive input signal. Still it isn't recorded.

Does anyone know about any sort of disc allocation settings for MIDI? Or do I need to give PT any special disc writing rights in macOS security settings? Audio recording seems fine though... I'm really out of ideas
You didn't answer my post - it doesn't appear that you hit record in the PT transport. You apparently only armed the tracks for record and that's it.

QAPLA!
Old 11-30-2021, 03:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
You didn't answer my post - it doesn't appear that you hit record in the PT transport. You apparently only armed the tracks for record and that's it.
Hi Jack!

My apologies, I totally missed that!
Yes, I am recording. You can see in the video that PT creates clips.
Old 11-30-2021, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Hi Dave!

Yes, it definitely seems like it should work...

I only set up both tracks (instrument and MIDI) to show that none are recording. With the Instrument track the screen capture is a bit sloppy I admit. Just as I started recording, the cursor reached the end of the marked area. I actually routed Trigger to both tracks independently. So it's the same with both types of track, unfortunately.

What bums me the most is that both tracks receive input signal. Still it isn't recorded.

Does anyone know about any sort of disc allocation settings for MIDI? Or do I need to give PT any special disc writing rights in macOS security settings? Audio recording seems fine though... I'm really out of ideas
It does seem like a bug. Can you try a different plug-in that generates MIDI? What happens if you try to commit the MIDI or instrument track? Also, does the track with the DB33 record successfully? Taking Trigger out of the equation, I presume you can record successfully from a MIDI keyboard?

MIDI recordings/clips are saved to the PT session file so no separate disk allocation.
Old 11-30-2021, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marsdy View Post
It does seem like a bug. Can you try a different plug-in that generates MIDI? What happens if you try to commit the MIDI or instrument track? Also, does the track with the DB33 record successfully? Taking Trigger out of the equation, I presume you can record successfully from a MIDI keyboard?

MIDI recordings/clips are saved to the PT session file so no separate disk allocation.
Hi Dave!

Thank you for all the input!

So now it gets weird... Recording via Keyboard Input (I don't have a MIDI input device set up as I am currently between studio places) works perfectly well. Switching from Trigger to Drum Lever actually did record some MIDI events, but by far not all of them. Still I can see every event at the input meter and I can also hear every event from the organ.

Committing the track (you meant committing the MIDI/Instrument track with empy clips, right?) didn't make any difference.

Somewhere I read that changing the buffer size might help. Unfortunately also no difference.

I might add that since my reinstall PT shows me different buffer sizes and also the next window keyboard shortcut (CMD+[key next to left shift]) doesn't work in PT anymore. Something seems wrong here...
Old 12-01-2021, 04:18 AM

Quote:

I might add that since my reinstall PT shows me different buffer sizes and also the next window keyboard shortcut (CMD+[key next to left shift]) doesn't work in PT anymore. Something seems wrong here...
In a cursory look at the shortcut manual I can't find a shortcut for next window. Don't know about your computer keyboard but on a standard keyboard the key next to the left shift key is the letter 'z'. Command-Z is the shortcut for 'undo'.

QAPLA!
Old 12-01-2021, 05:21 AM

Hi Jack!

Thank you for your effort!
I don't quite know what to say without going too far OT or stating the obvious. I can't say very much about English layouts as I use German. The only thing I can say for sure is that on my keyboard this key exists and that the shortcut worked before. It does work in PT if I switch to English layout btw
Old 12-01-2021, 05:54 AM

Quote:
Hi Jack!

Thank you for your effort!
I don't quite know what to say without going too far OT or stating the obvious. I can't say very much about English layouts as I use German. The only thing I can say for sure is that on my keyboard this key exists and that the shortcut worked before. It does work in PT if I switch to English layout btw
If you switch to English layout that key becomes the letter 'Z'.

QAPLA!
Old 12-02-2021, 01:25 AM

Okay, so after trashing preferences and reinstalling PT didn't work either, I performed a complete re-reinstall of the entire system. Again...

Next window command now works again, so that's a win already!

I also managed to circle in on the issue. It seems it has something to do with buffer and/or latency compensation:
Melda Drum Leveler has a button to turn on or off delay compensation for MIDI extraction. If turned off, recording on a MIDI/Instrument tracks works perfectly well. Only issue being a displacement.
Trigger latency set to "live" also works as I know it, including the issue that at some point PT doesn't write a note off event which results in a note that lasts forever.
Changing latency or buffer settings in PT globally doesn't seem to make any difference.

I also remember that the last time I used this way of creating MIDI was on an older version of PT. So could someone maybe try to recreate the issue? It might be a real bug?