Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 01-10-2001, 10:01 AM

Default Can I mark the audio not the time line?

Hey All,
I searched the manual and the whole DUC and could not find an answer. Maybe I'm not using the right search words? Here's what I would like to do:
I want to mark/flag a spot in the audio not on the timeline. Example: I need to mark the audio approximately at some times like 1:00, 2:00, 3:00, and 4:00 minutes. Then cut out the audio from in between the 1:00 and 2:00 minute markers/flags. I then need the flags over the 2:00, 3:00, and 4:00 minute audio to move to the left with the audio as the cut is removed. If I use markers in the timeline, the markers stay at the original time locations of 2:00, 3:00, and 4:00 and does not follow the audio as it slides to the left after I make the cut.

Can this be done? Am I just a bonehead? Alright, don't answer the bonehead part!

Thanks, Most Humble,
Dave
Old 01-10-2001, 11:37 AM

Default Re: Can I mark the audio not the time line?

Am I a bonehead too? Cause I want to know the same thing!

Any other BONEHEADS out there?
Old 01-11-2001, 05:43 AM
Avid

-Markers cannot be saved within the Audio Regions (only the timeline).

-From how I read/undestand your post, you can accomplish this by using the "Separate Region" command and "Shuffle" mode: The region boudaries will function as your "markers" and when you remove some audio, the audio to the right will be shifted over.

Brent
Old 01-11-2001, 05:58 AM

Thank Brent,
Sounds like a pretty good idea although I'll have to try it to see how it works in what I am doing with my audio/editing. Maybe this is a good thing to add to the next software update? I need this for a ton of my projects.

The only other way I have found to mark the audio and not the timeline is to put the audio in "volume" mode, then just drop a volume "dot" at the spot that I want to mark. The volume dots move with the audio as you edit, however, the volume dots are not easy to see or navigate to.

Anyone else think of anyway to do this?

Thanks again, Most Humble,
Dave
Old 01-11-2001, 06:24 AM

Ahhhh - thank you, Brent!

I agree that I would like to see this added to future updates: a "cut" function either for tracks or for the whole session, that joins the edges of the remaining regions. It would be great if this could be done in a way that includes the timeline as well, so any markers, tempo or meter changes, etc. would also be cut and the surrounding data joined together. As it is I have to surgically remove or reposition everything manually.

Equally valuable would be an "insert" function, so we could insert an 8-bar solo in the middle of the song (for example) without having to perform brain surgery.

------------------
- Michael
OS 11.6.1 Big Sur