Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 11
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 11-10-2014, 10:26 AM
Admin Emeritus

Default Re: New Licensing

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcwiz View Post
On my iLok account PT HD10 is not transferable but PT11 (plain) is transferable.
Correct.
Quote:
Also to upgrade PT10HD + CPTK to PT 11HD you have to surrender the PT10HD + CPTK asset.
That does not exist, if you have PT 10 HD, you would not need CPTK to upgrade to PT HD 11.

There is an upgrade from PT 10 HD to PT 11 HD (or PT 9 HD to PT 11 HD)

There is an upgrade from PT 9, 10, or 11 + CPTK to PT HD 11

Same as before, only during the current offer, it includes the upgrade to the next version as well, and lower pricing than previously when upgrading from older versions.
Old 11-10-2014, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Paine View Post
Correct.

That does not exist, if you have PT 10 HD, you would not need CPTK to upgrade to PT HD 11.
Yes I knew that, wasn't thinking. You do have to surrender PT10 + CPTK to upgrade correct?
Old 11-10-2014, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Yes I knew that, wasn't thinking. You do have to surrender PT10 + CPTK to upgrade correct?
Yes.
Old 11-10-2014, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarabozo View Post
I'm honestly not sure. Maybe someone else with the asset already in his iLok can answer this?
Quote:
On my iLok account PT HD10 is not transferable but PT11 (plain) is transferable.
Also to upgrade PT10HD + CPTK to PT 11HD you have to surrender the PT10HD + CPTK asset.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Paine View Post
Correct.

There is an upgrade from PT 10 HD to PT 11 HD (or PT 9 HD to PT 11 HD)

There is an upgrade from PT 9, 10, or 11 + CPTK to PT HD 11

Same as before, only during the current offer, it includes the upgrade to the next version as well, and lower pricing than previously when upgrading from older versions.

Thanks for the clarity. Guys
Old 11-10-2014, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Olhsson View Post
The biggest music DAW is Cuebase. Pro Tools obviously dominates traditional large pro music studios and their clients but there are plenty of pros working out of their homes on other platforms.
Out of curiosity, there's a place where someone can find some kind of info on licenses/copies sold or market share (even if it isn't so easy to monitor like, say, browser market share) of pro DAWs?
Old 11-10-2014, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronwasserman View Post
These polls are ridiculous. Being done at a time when people are angry and confused. I told Russ I bet the numbers will change substantially after the next major upgrade and when ever Avid gets around to explaining their new plan(s).

Funny...all the bitching coming from Pro Tools Expert (a site I LOVE) which is..........a subscription service. LOL!
Well, kinda - you can still read it without paying a penny.

I think the polls are useful. Of course people will change their minds (hey, maybe even Avid). But it gives a broad idea of how the community is feeling, more so than reading this thread I'd imagine.

Music folks have no real excuse, there are so many other good options these days as many have said. I don't even consider using PT for my own music work, Cubase is clearly a superior platform if you're using high track counts and VIs. Post will be the last people to migrate.

PT 2024 Ultimate; W11 Pro; Ryzen 9 7900; 64gb RAM; RME Babyface; UAD Quad Satellite USB; GTX 1050i
Macbook Air M2; 24gb RAM
Old 11-10-2014, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricWillhelm View Post
My Pro Tools upgrading ended with 10+CPTK. It's funny because I was one of the folks who kept making noise about wanting offline bounce, since I worked more with longform programs. And funny that, once they finally brought it back in v11, that was the point where I decided I just CAN'T keep going on like this.

I recently checked in with the head of a studio where I used to work, and he blew my mind when he told me they just switched to Reaper. He said, "I've been watching that program for years, and it always fell just a little short in my comfort zone, but now they're finally at a place where I feel more than comfortable using it in the studio".

Thus began my switch. And while it's tough to transfer these years-old PT habits to another program, it certainly worth it, especially as I peruse the program and see all the amazing things it can do, way beyond the scope of PT, and all without any feature-limiting excuses, or toolkit add-on nonsense, or any clinging to 90's business models ("C'mon folks. The big studios were used to happily paying tens of thousands for this stuff when it was all hardware, so please let's keep that up"). Plus, their updates seem to be fast and furious, tackling bugs almost as soon as they're reported.

I won't begrudge anyone who is still happy going along with the Avid industry standard mode, or who feel they are still getting all the bang for their buck with Pro Tools. I'm happy for you if you do. I often wish that were me, but it's not. To each his own. Perhaps if I were pulling the kind of income against which these upgrade fees were a small drop in the bucket. But ultimately for me it's the principle of the thing. I just can't keep rewarding the 'charge more for less' thing. Or rather, the "Look, we finally added this ages-old feature, and it'a a game changer! Pay up!" thing. I know there are those who say, "Yeah, but when PT adds these features, they do it right". I have yet to see that kind of difference in their version vs others, but again, I won't begrudge anyone who does. That's cool.

I see this thread is almost at 10,000 views. Pretty amazing. I will continue to keep an interested eye on this company and this product. Who knows, they might one day do something to make me come back. I won't hold my breath, but I'll definitely put my head under the water every now and then to see what the fish are up to.
Well said. Very well said. I will have a look at reaper as well.
Old 11-10-2014, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Righty27 View Post
FWIW, the 'CPTK gone in PT11' thread reached 180 pages and 122k views (to date - apart from associated threads). Whilst only affecting a subset of Pro Tools customers, I suspect that what it represented (treatment of Avid customers, value attributed to previous 'investments', etc.) fuelled that topic/thread.

This thread addresses a topic which affects all current and future Pro Tools users so may well surpass those numbers quite soon. If Avid don't do anything to address the negativity soon, I guess we'll have to accept that these matters are no longer subject to discretion and are probably just being driven by short-term financial imperatives.

My own view is that 2014 Q4 will be about Avid getting some cash in from pre-PT11 low-hanging fruit (with the current attractive offer) and Q1 2015 may see current PT11 users targeted with a lower-priced 'ASS' offer e.g. $99/$299 until March 2016.

?!
FWIW, the 'CPTK gone in PT11' thread reached 180 pages and 122k views ...

I'm afraid you're wrong...it's only 43 pages...for me...

That's why you really should use "post count" instead of "page count"...users can change the number of posts per page, so a "page count" is meaningless...
Note that all opinions, observations, whatever, in this post are mine, unless I'm being mean or am wrong, in which case it's somebody else's fault. I do not work for Avid (their loss)...my only relationship with Avid is that of a customer (when I'm not too poor to buy stuff, like now)...and that hot administrative assistant...that's more of a "thing" than a "relationship" (that should keep them guessing for a while...)

Just rockin'...what more is there?

Bill in Pittsburgh
Old 11-10-2014, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Denton View Post

That's why you really should use "post count" instead of "page count"...users can change the number of posts per page, so a "page count" is meaningless...
How does one change the number of posts per page ?

Enjoy the Journey
.... Kev...
Old 11-10-2014, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Denton View Post

How does one change the number of posts per page ?

Enjoy the Journey
.... Kev...
Closed Thread