Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-07-2022, 09:41 PM

Default Re: Unable to run Pro Tools on my Mac M1 Mini

Take a look at Pro Tools Intro for now to get started on a current version. If you decide you need more tracks and features you can reinstate your support plan.

https://www.avid.com/pro-tools/intro

Make sure you remove any unsupported versions of Pro Tools you tried to install currently.

It’s more than likely that any plugins you had before may not work on Monterey
Old 10-08-2022, 12:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evank999 View Post
It's "hard to work out" because in my account it says my perpetual license is active and it has downloaders for me. So it should work and run on my machine or there wouldn't be downloaders.
It is active and continues to run with the versions that are offered for download, but it does not mean you get updates to later and current versions. Go back to compatibility chart, find PT version 12.5.1 and look right on the same row. There you have your OS requirement. It does not mention Monterey, therefore your version is not compatible with Apple Silicon.

You need to add Support And Updates Plan to your license (reinstatement) and keep the plan active by renewing it yearly. As said, call your Avid Dealer and you should have your options on the table.

If you do not want to upgrade, again, go back to the compatibility chart to find out how old is the computer model (OS dependent) you need to get. Either way, PT12.5.1 is never gonna work with Apple Silicon.
Old 10-08-2022, 09:52 AM

read the software requirements. especially, what CPU is needed.

your PT needs an INTEL CPU. and will not work with another platforms.

emulators like rosetta = dentistry through the anus.
Old 10-08-2022, 10:36 AM

“Originally Posted by evank999 View Post
It's "hard to work out" because in my account it says my perpetual license is active and it has downloaders for me. So it should work and run on my machine or there wouldn't be downloaders.”

It doesn’t work that way. That’s like saying since I have a download link for a brand new version of PT, it should run on a way-outdated WIN XP machine (just the other way around.) And Avid has no way of knowing what machine you’re trying to make this run on.

Pay $99/year for Pro Tools artist subscription, and get back to work, seems to be the path of least resistance. You might have a perpetual license, but if you let your “support plan” lapse, you don’t get the updates. Questionable business model? Maybe, but it’s just the way it is.

Last edited by sw rec; 10-08-2022 at 11:24 AM.
Old 10-08-2022, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by olavsu1 View Post

Not true.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-08-2022, 04:58 PM

If you do reinstate your plan make sure you are clear in the difference between perpetual and subscriptions so you get the plan you want.

Like its2loud wrote, perhaps you can do well with the free version and not have to worry about it.

C
PT 2021.10 HDX 16x24 -Mac Pro 12 Cores 48 GB RAM OS 10.13.6 - API 16 channel - AMS Neve 16 channel, AMS-Neve-SSL -Pres/Processing, Bock Audio, BLUE Bottle, Neumann, Josephson -Mics, Bogner, Kemper- Guitar, Chandler Zener-Curve Bender Outboard/Master. UAudio, Waves, Plugin Alliance etc.
Old 10-08-2022, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by olavsu1 View Post

No. Sending somebody off to read long written requirements is a waste of time when they already have been pointed at clear simple info in the compatibility table.

As for Rosetta 2, it is what is and is working very well for now.

Opinions like yours = ....
Old 10-08-2022, 05:41 PM

Quote:
It's "hard to work out" because in my account it says my perpetual license is active and it has downloaders for me. So it should work and run on my machine or there wouldn't be downloaders.
Just reach out to support if you are still not seeing the download. My guess maybe you did not pay for a renewal? Not sure. Again that version is not compatible. Good luck-:)

G
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2022-10-08 at 5.38.37 PM.jpg (9.3 KB, 0 views)
Composer/Sound Designer/Protools 2024.3 Ultimate, MTRXII-TB3, DADMAN MOM, Cisco SG350-10MP EthernetHUB, KLANG:quelle 4 Channel Dante™Headphone Amp, DVS,MADI, Mac Studio Ultra,128 RAM/4TB SSD, Ventura 13.6.6, DP 11.3.1, Logic Pro X 10.8.1 DOLBY ATMOS Facility/MPSE Motion Picture Sound Editors Avid Certified Professional ProTools/Dolby ATMOS
Old 10-11-2022, 01:14 PM

Quote:

Evan: the perpetual license belongs to you, however if you don't have a support contract in place, you can't upgrade to the supported version for your ARM M1 CPU, therefore you can either stick to your old version and use it in an Intel CPU mac running macOS Mavericks or El Capitan.
http://felipousismix.wix.com/felipousismix

Open Core Mac Pro OSX Ventura | ProTools HD 2023.x | Merging HAPI ADA8 | UAD Quad PCIe | Kali IN-8 | Presonus Temblor 10 | Softube, SSL, Universal Audio, Slate Digital, McDSP, Fabfilter, Plugin Alliance among other plugins
Old 10-19-2022, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Thank you @nednednerb I'm glad it's so simple for all of you. You guys really have a way of making people feel like morons. But thank you for clarifying what I thought initially which was the the numbers just happen to match. I haven't used pro tools for a long time, I switched to Ableton years ago for my DAW and just wanted to launch pro tools and do some simple voice recording to record and master an audio version of a book I'm about to publish. I can use Garageband but I have so many pro tools plugins I know I can get a better sounding result in PT. I did not anticipate so many troubles launching this app. I do not think I can get v2022.9 without upgrading for over $300 for a new 1-year updates and support package. It's ridiculously expensive for a "perpetual license" that I paid extra for because they called it "perpetual." Which means "forever" not "we'll stop it from working at some time in the future and cause you to pay $300+ per year to keep it active" So forgive me for being at the same time disappointed, confused, and shaking my head at the snark and lack of helpfulness of most comments here.
Don’t be concerned with what others say. Sometimes it’s about trying to be the smartest guy in the room rather than looking at it from the perspective of a less technically inclined user. I work with world class composers and writers that couldn’t configure or build a machine to save their life. They can use it like a bat out of hell to make music that makes plenty of money that millions listen to.

In your case you have to buck up to current Pro Tools. No way around it. It’s frustrating but it’s the Avid business model. They view perpetual as the license not expiring rather than it working on current machines. If you have a current subscription you should see the current version. If not contact Avid and see why.

Unless you need Pro Tools session compatibility there are plenty of other tools. Of those I spoke of above most are using Logic or Live to compose and record whatever tracks they need.

It can be a frustrating PITA (particularly for the money involved) but try not to let it get you down.