Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Eleven Rack

Old 01-27-2014, 02:41 PM

Default Eleven Rack Pro Tools 11 template is blank / broken

Just set up my new studio.... New to pro tools, so please bear with me. Bought an eleven rack with pro tools 11. Got everything installed... correctly I think.

When I launch pro tools and try to start with an Eleven Rack template, it opens blank... with options to add tracks or really do anything musically... all the tabs are grayed out. I am fairly certain it should open with at least a few blank tracks open and assigned to the eleven rack output, etc...

I get an error about the playback engine not supporting 44.1k sample rate (the same error in the protools 11 install readme file, although the problem doesn't seem to be the same at all), but I have everything set to 48k, eleven rack clock source set to internal. I don't know if this has anything to do with it, but it is the only "strange" thing going on that I can point to.
Old 01-27-2014, 02:52 PM

Default Re: Eleven Rack Pro Tools 11 template is blank / broken

Instead of a template, just create a Blank session and add the tracks you need.

In my experience, templates are often laid out wrong.

Windows 11 Pro | macOS 12
Pro Tools 2022
benonistudio.com
Youtube Channel - benonistudio
Plugin Deals
@benonistudio
Old 01-27-2014, 03:00 PM

Thanks Brian, I appreciate the advice and have verified I can start from a blank project and things seem to work. I am mostly concerned that I have something set up wrong since I'm just starting out with this tool and it isn't working right. I don't want it to bite me later down the road if I can help it. Maybe I'm just being overly concerned but I hate to start down the road with a new tool and start doing workarounds right off the bat withought understanding why I need to.

Win 7 Pro 64 bit
i7 Haswell
16G Ram
SSD system drive
separate sample and project drives
protools 11.latest
eleven rack interface for guitar
Old 01-27-2014, 04:34 PM

If you are able to start a session by starting Blank, you are fine. Its the templates that are set wrong.

Many times you will need to default the IO if you use a template.

Using a blank session is not a workaround, the templates are just there to help get you started, after you know how to use Pro Tools I can't imagine why you would ever use a pre-packaged template. Every new session I start is Blank.

What you can do is create your own templates and save them, that way they are setup exactly how you work.

Pro Tools 2022
benonistudio.com
Plugin Deals
@benonistudio
Old 01-27-2014, 04:53 PM

That's good to know, and I totally agree. Workaround was a bad choice of words. I doubt once I know the tool I would ever use a template as well. But when starting out, they are helpful to learn my way around. Any ideas why the templates might be broken on a fresh install, first time opening the tool? I didn't change any of the default I/O routings, nor have I hooked up any other interfaces... yet.

Also still wondering why I get the 44.1k sample rate error when NOTHING is set at that rate.

Win 7 Pro 64 bit
i7 Haswell
16G Ram
SSD system drive
protools 11.latest
Old 01-27-2014, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbaures View Post
That's good to know, and I totally agree. Workaround was a bad choice of words. I doubt once I know the tool I would ever use a template as well. But when starting out, they are helpful to learn my way around. Any ideas why the templates might be broken on a fresh install, first time opening the tool? I didn't change any of the default I/O routings, nor have I hooked up any other interfaces... yet.

Also still wondering why I get the 44.1k sample rate error when NOTHING is set at that rate.
Do you have the Eleven Rack set to be your computer system sound device?

What do you have the sample rate set at using the Eleven Rack Control Panel?
You may need to flip it a couple times before you launch Pro Tools, then once PT is launched it should take over.

Attachment 1543

Make sure you are plugged into a USB 2.0 port

Are all templates broken? What exactly happens when you try to load one?
Can you post a picture of the error or screen?

If you want you can try a re-install of Pro Tools 11.

Pro Tools 2022
benonistudio.com
Plugin Deals
@benonistudio
Old 01-27-2014, 11:19 PM

It is set as the sound device. It is set at 48k through the control panel. I did try toggling it several times, restarting everything in different orders, and everything else I could think of. It is a USB 2.0 port.

I didn't check any other templates yet, but without a picture right now to reference I can say it loads with no edit window or mix window open. Let me play with it some more and see what else I can find.

I did set up a new project tonight from scratch just to continue learning me way around and pro tools crashed (blue screened my pc) quite a bit, or became unresponsive for a few seconds at a time occasionally when I was running some of the included virtual instruments. Looking at the resource usage window, my pc isn't even breathing hard yet. All utilization are under 5%. Maybe I should check some windows 7 settings?

Sorry to be mixing new issues into this thread, but I seem to be hitting them all at once.

Win 7 Pro 64 bit
i7 Haswell
16G Ram
SSD system drive
protools 11.latest
Old 01-28-2014, 05:56 AM

If I understand your issue, it is a fairly common issue, and not solely related to the 11R.

I had the same issue. The problem was that the computer was using the 11r as it's default sound card, and as such was holding the interface hostage at 44.1

Go into your control panel and go to your sounds. See what windows is using for it's sound card. I bet you will find it is using 11R.

Just select the on board sound card (IDT audio or whatever it is for your system) and make that the default.

"If the grass looks greener on the other side of the fence, well, it is likely due to the amount of manure being spread on that side of the fence." Cowboy Bob

Squaw Creek Road Studio

Bob
Pro Tools Ultimate (2024.3)| Pro Tools Carbon | Sibelius Ultimate (2024.3)
|
3.6GHz 8-core 9th-generation Intel Core i9 processor iMac w/40GB RAM | 1TB SSD | macOS Ventura 13.3.1 |

Avid Eleven Rack ERXP | Focusrite Clarett 8Pre X | Lenovo i7 ThinkPad | Win 7 Professional | Avid 003 + Rack |

Old 01-28-2014, 09:31 AM

The issue seemed to have resolved itself (or at least I didn't intentionally make any changes)...

I think the windows holding the eleven rack hostage as the soundcard might have been what is going on. I can do some more tests to confirm, but it started working on its own after I was messing around with some new projects I created from scratch last night, where I ran into a contention issue between windows and protools fighting for the eleven rack as the sound card. I'll post results after I do some tests to confirm.

But if the 44.1k error doesn't show up, the eleven template opens correctly also.

Win 7 Pro 64 bit
i7 Haswell
16G Ram
SSD system drive
protools 11.latest
Old 01-28-2014, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbaures View Post
The issue seemed to have resolved itself (or at least I didn't intentionally make any changes)...

I think the windows holding the eleven rack hostage as the soundcard might have been what is going on. I can do some more tests to confirm, but it started working on its own after I was messing around with some new projects I created from scratch last night, where I ran into a contention issue between windows and protools fighting for the eleven rack as the sound card. I'll post results after I do some tests to confirm.

But if the 44.1k error doesn't show up, the eleven template opens correctly also.
OK now be aware, that if you start another program before you launch Pro Tools, that specifically needs 44.1kHz setting, unless you reboot or change your default sound card, you will have the same issue again.

I discovered this after working on a score in Sibelius First then opening Pro Tools (10 or 11 made no difference). I could not open sessions that were not the same sample rate that Sibelius was running.

Even if I closed Sibelius, (Guitar Pro, and Media Player was the same) I could not change sample rates until I rebooted.

If I launched Pro Tools before I used any software that required the use of the sound card, I was OK.

Once I changed the default sound card to the system sound card, everything worked fine, except that computer audio would not play through the interface.

No big deal. If I want other programs to use the interface, I change it in the control panel and let the interface handle the sound.

BUT I change it back to the system sound card before I launch Pro Tools. No longer need to reboot. Just be sure that the system (windows) is not using the interface as the default sound card.

"If the grass looks greener on the other side of the fence, well, it is likely due to the amount of manure being spread on that side of the fence." Cowboy Bob

Squaw Creek Road Studio

Bob
Pro Tools Ultimate (2024.3)| Pro Tools Carbon | Sibelius Ultimate (2024.3)
|
3.6GHz 8-core 9th-generation Intel Core i9 processor iMac w/40GB RAM | 1TB SSD | macOS Ventura 13.3.1 |

Avid Eleven Rack ERXP | Focusrite Clarett 8Pre X | Lenovo i7 ThinkPad | Win 7 Professional | Avid 003 + Rack |