Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools

Old 10-24-2021, 09:55 AM

Default Is there a List M1 native AAX compatible Plug Ins for ProTools?

First of all, do I understand right that only M1 native AAX plug ins work with PT in M1 native mode?

And if so, is there a List of native M1 AAX plug ins (for working in PT M1 native)?
This would be cool.

Because it is very confusing to research every single plug-in for M1 compatibility and/or M1 native support
Old 10-24-2021, 10:20 AM

Default Re: Is there a List M1 native AAX compatible Plug Ins for ProTools?

No plugin is working in native mode until there is native PT software. My best guess is Avid cannot afford native PT slipping to 2022 so the wait should not be very long.

After there is native PT, then native AAX plugin updates start to drop. Hopefully not so many are paid upgrades.
Old 10-24-2021, 10:28 AM

Ah, ok, I thought 2021.7 is M1 native.
My fault
Old 10-24-2021, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franklyn View Post
Ah, ok, I thought 2021.7 is M1 native.
My fault
Nope. PT 2021.7 is Big Sur compatible but runs under Apple's interim solution ,Rosetta2 (an Intel translation emulator) on M1 based Macs. As JFreek mentioned, no Plugin can run natively on M1 based Macs until the host DAW is also running natively. Since Protools 2021.7 is not running natively, any plugins can not run natively yet. I know we all hate waiting, knowing how amazing the M1 Macs appear to be. The recent release of M1 Pro and M1 Max processors in the MacBook Pro take processing power and amount of unity RAM up to another level.

Mac Studio M1Max - 64GB
MacOS 14.3.1 running Protools 2024.3
Old 10-24-2021, 10:59 AM

Better say 2021.7 is "running on Big Sur" because not all of it (video engine for example) is not supported.

If someone really NEEDS to have Apple Silicon hardware, it is better than nothing. But for serious work I would still recommend Intel hardware and Catalina. Given that I have first hand experience of the previous transition from PPC to Intel, I would say it takes until 2023 to call it "safe" to move on to Apple Silicon.

As I said, first thing is to get natively running DAW, then the waiting game of plugin updates begin. Once all plugins you need run natively, then it is time to plan for hardware purchase. Also other software outside of PT may or may not make the transition, so better wait one year too much than jump into moving train.

Until that, good luck maintaining your current config and hope it does not break in the wrong moment. In the last transition I bought the last generation watercooled quad G5 PowerMac in 2005, and in hindsight could not be happier about the decision. It carried me through the transition until I bought 2009 Mac Pro at the time when all that I needed was native and what wasn't I just simply left behind.
Old 10-24-2021, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
No plugin is working in native mode until there is native PT software. My best guess is Avid cannot afford native PT slipping to 2022 so the wait should not be very long.

After there is native PT, then native AAX plugin updates start to drop. Hopefully not so many are paid upgrades.
The wait is on ilok. No native ilok yet so no DAW that uses it as protection can run natively. iLok is running in user-mode Rosetta right now.
Old 10-24-2021, 12:44 PM

Yes I am talking about native not rosetta. I know the difference.

In the "releae info" file of 2021.7 is no clear description about M1 compatibility. No word about native or rosetta.
So thanx for clearing.

Interesting that iLok should be the problem. 1 year of M1 CPU and no ilok for native M1. ?!?
Old 10-24-2021, 01:26 PM

Many developers have M1-Native versions of their plugins. Perhaps not (yet) AAX, but they've worked out the other roadblocks so the AAX port should be a simpler matter.
Old 10-24-2021, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BScout View Post
The wait is on ilok. No native ilok yet so no DAW that uses it as protection can run natively. iLok is running in user-mode Rosetta right now.
I don't understand why iLok would need to be native for the DAW to operate natively.
Old 10-24-2021, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Lambert View Post
I don't understand why iLok would need to be native for the DAW to operate natively.
Because there is Pace/iLok code that runs in the address space of the DAW.