Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 10
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-20-2012, 12:55 PM

Default Pro Tools 10.1.2 Elastic Audio Warble

Elastic Audio is acting strange. After changing the tempo of a track or group of tracks the audio has a warbled effect. I'm not doing anything different (that I know of); I'm converting each track from samples to click, then enabling polyphonic, then inputting different a tempo. The audio adjusts accordingly but the sound is not consistent...even when only changing the tempo by a few BPMs. This is particularly noticeable during whole notes or longer sustained notes. Ultimately, the audio is unusable.

I have used Elastic Audio extensively in the past, converting complex sessions, and have never had this issue until now.

I've been away from Pro Tools for a couple months and suddenly I have this new problem. I am I missing a step somewhere with Elastic Audio? Is anyone having similar issues?

Pro Tools 10.1.2
MAC OS X
2 X 2.26 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon
32 GB
Aurora 8
Digi 002
Old 11-20-2012, 02:00 PM

Default Re: Pro Tools 10.1.2 Elastic Audio Warble

10.1.2? I'm running 10.3.2 ...

What drew me to this post was "warble" cause I just used this when explaining the sound I got myself.

I recently have run into something similar, but I don't know if the circumstances are the same. I have an acoustic guitar track and a buncha vocal tracks and wanted to speed up the tune from 124bpm to 129bpm.

I accomplished this differently. I saw what measure the song ended at @124 and then changed the bpm to 129 and used the ALL group and used the TCE tool to pull all tracks to the left to make them faster.

Seems all are fine but the acoustic guitar has warbles in spots. I thought that possibly this was due to me not using more care in doing the tracks individually or making sure I was using polyphonic, etc.

I've yet to revisit that session to see if it's something like processing that track individually which will fix it? I figured I'd chime in so maybe others that are having or had this problem may mention it or have a possible solution.
Old 12-01-2012, 06:33 AM

bump
Old 12-01-2012, 09:09 AM

First off, make sure you are always using Ticks (not samples). I always end off by switching to X-Form. Perfect every time.
Old 12-01-2012, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WombatStudio.Org View Post
10.1.2? I'm running 10.3.2 ...

What drew me to this post was "warble" cause I just used this when explaining the sound I got myself.

I recently have run into something similar, but I don't know if the circumstances are the same. I have an acoustic guitar track and a buncha vocal tracks and wanted to speed up the tune from 124bpm to 129bpm.

I accomplished this differently. I saw what measure the song ended at @124 and then changed the bpm to 129 and used the ALL group and used the TCE tool to pull all tracks to the left to make them faster.

Seems all are fine but the acoustic guitar has warbles in spots. I thought that possibly this was due to me not using more care in doing the tracks individually or making sure I was using polyphonic, etc.

I've yet to revisit that session to see if it's something like processing that track individually which will fix it? I figured I'd chime in so maybe others that are having or had this problem may mention it or have a possible solution.
Acoustic guitar is the problem. It is one of the audio sources that doesn't respond well to elastic audio. Some instruments fare better than others.
Old 12-01-2012, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WernerF View Post
Acoustic guitar is the problem. It is one of the audio sources that doesn't respond well to elastic audio. Some instruments fare better than others.
If you found a tempo that works for you, you can cut up the track and try different methods like the TCE tool after you slice the acoustic track in to a bunch of pieces.
That other thing is you can delete some of the warp markers if you want to keep using Elastic. You may find that trying to warp near the transitions is the better thing to do but may not change the speed enough for you.
Like Werner said, it's the hardest to deal with. Piano can suck too particularly in a ballad.
DC
Apogee Mini-Me firewire.
Old 12-02-2012, 04:39 PM

Thanks for the replies, I don't know if this was helpful to the OP, but I have asked if the part can be retracked at the faster tempo. If not then I can see about fudging around with it in the bad spots.
Old 12-02-2012, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WernerF View Post

+1

Acoustic guitar drives the algorithms crazy.
Old 12-02-2012, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by upscaps View Post
I always end off by switching to X-Form. Perfect every time.
+1 - X-Form takes much longer to process but is worth it for the quality.

Pro Tools 2024.3
Focusrite LS56
Focusrite Pro40 (2)
TC Electronic Studio Konnekt 48
Avid Artist Mix/Control
Slate Digital VRS8
Analogue Tonebuss 24 Channel
UAD-2 OCTO Core Accelerator
UAD Volt 2
macOS 10.15.7
32 GB DDR4 RAM
4.01GHz Quad-Core Intel Core I7