Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 06-04-2005, 11:06 PM

Default We will All Be using PC\'s ?????

The intel Mac may be here sooner that you think
http://news.com.com/Apple+to+ditch+I...?tag=nefd.lede
Old 06-05-2005, 01:19 AM

Default Re: We will All Be using PC\'s ?????

I for one think it's awesome news...bout time the best OS teamed up with the best chips...apparently Apple may also be looking at AMD...the more the merrier! PPC has been lagging for ages...

http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=23714
Old 06-05-2005, 01:50 AM

It's still the Mac OS, just the processor is Intel, right?

•2019 Mac Pro 3.5 GHz 8-Core Intel Xeon W - 48 GB 2666 MHz DDR4 (OS 10.15.5) •HD Native PCIe, HD Omni, 192 I/o, Pro Tools Ultimate •Avid S3 + Dock •Blackmagic Intensity Pro (HDMI) •5.1 Room with JBL LSR4300 series

Additional Systems

•2010 Mac Pro 2 x 2.66 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon - 48 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 (OS 10.14.6) •HD Native PCIe, 192 I/o, 96 I/o, Pro Tools Ultimate •McMix (x4), McControl (x1), JLCooper Surround panner for D-Command ES, Avid Control •Blackmagic Intensity Pro (HDMI) •7.1.4 Room with JBL LSR4300 series

•2017 MacBook Pro 2.8 GHz i7 - 16 GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3 (OS 10.14.6) •HD Native TB, HD Omni, Pro Tools Ultimate •McMix (x1), McControl (x1), Avid Control * or * D-Command ES Main Unit •Fed into whichever system is the main system
Old 06-05-2005, 05:08 AM

Quote:
It's still the Mac OS, just the processor is Intel, right?
Correct. It'll look and feel exactly like the Mac you're using now, only what's inside the box will change. If anything, there could be a big speed bump (and maybe a price drop, if we're lucky).

Some pundits are predicting that Mac OSX won't just work on "any" Intel processor out of the box; it'll have to be an Apple-brand Macintosh with an Intel processor inside. I suspect there will be some special incarnations of the chip, and maybe some add-on chips (graphics, sound, who knows what) to keep it as proprietary as possible.

We'll know for sure on June 6th, when Jobs gives his speech at the Developer's Conference. Industry analysts are already saying Apple's stock will drop Monday, but I bet this is just temporary.

--Marc W.
Old 06-05-2005, 11:07 AM

Quote:
If anything, there could be a big speed bump (and maybe a price drop, if we're lucky).
--Marc W.
A G5 out performs any Pentium as far as DSP power.
On the other hand it could be Apple tatics to get IBM in gear - IBM prommised Apple to deliver a 3 GHZ G5 over 15 months ago.
Old 06-05-2005, 10:23 PM

You guys stop it. From the head of Digi i will quote" We will always support Mac, we will continuee to develope the PC side of Digi and we hope someday our PC base is a large as our Mac base" They will never leave Mac support, it's their bread and butter format.!!! So stop the rumors!! Macs are here to say, they just will keep evolving and so will digi!!

[email protected]
Intel duel Quad core
PT 8.0cs3
HD4
D Command / D control
Old 06-05-2005, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Quote:
If anything, there could be a big speed bump (and maybe a price drop, if we're lucky).
--Marc W.
A G5 out performs any Pentium as far as DSP power.
On the other hand it could be Apple tatics to get IBM in gear - IBM prommised Apple to deliver a 3 GHZ G5 over 15 months ago.
i feel its largely because of IBM's inability to produce a cool enough running G5 to put in Apple's future laptops. They have to compete in the laptop market and Apple has been unable to produce a G5 laptop with IBM's PPC largely due to heat. Heck the G4 alumninum I have just about burns my legs as i type! and how many years old is that technology?

OSX is clearly superior to any other OS- and I agree that its about time such a great OS teamed up with the world's best, well er, largest market share company and therefore the most $$ for R&D.
Old 06-05-2005, 11:56 PM

My guess is that Apple is going to announce a partnership with Intel to manufacture a new line of chips with PPC compatibility on a new architecture, possibly itanium64-based, probably not X86-based. Something that will allow older software to run.

I'll be watching Job's keynote, that's for sure. Watching his latest moves, no doubt all has been worked out and all potential downside issues have been dealt with already. Will probably be a very smooth transition and allow Mac/OSX to achieve greater overall market share as predicted by many industry observers.
Old 06-06-2005, 07:27 AM

Here is the real story...
http://stevenf.com/mt/archives/2005/..._to_switch.php
Old 06-06-2005, 02:23 PM

...wow.

Harvest Cheddar for me!

This brings a new meaning to the "Crisp, fresh look of Mac OS-X"

go left next time