How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS

Old 07-06-2022, 05:10 PM

Default Re: New "Mac Studio" from Apple

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattrixx View Post
In the mean time, everyone should just get on and enjoy using these beasts of machines!
Have zero issues running Pro Tools under Rosetta.
Agreed!
Old 07-06-2022, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Carnes View Post
It may be that they need a sandbox (Logic has one) where plugins can run under Rosetta, even when PT itself is native.
I sure hope they are considering it.
Old 07-06-2022, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glasswing View Post
And btw, I'm still on P Tools 2021.12. It's working incredibly well! I'd like to ask Mac Studio owners, are all systems go with 2022.5 or 2022.6? Most of what I've read says it's safe.

Either are just fine and I am running DOLBY ATMOS here with Monterey, which has been run by several people I know at Avid for months. The Avid folks get these versions months ahead of releases and have been using them fine as far as I know.

If you just back up you internal HD fully cloned, then if it does not work for you, just revert back. It's pretty easy or just re-install the version you are on. Still running a late 2013 Mac Pro Intel chip though, but not a reason to update now. Waiting to see more native code written for ProTools, but it's probably in the works and also more Mac Pros.

G
Composer/Sound Designer/Protools 2024.3 Ultimate, MTRXII-TB3, DADMAN MOM, Cisco SG350-10MP EthernetHUB, KLANG:quelle 4 Channel Dante™Headphone Amp, DVS,MADI, Mac Studio Ultra,128 RAM/4TB SSD, Ventura 13.6.5, DP 11.3, Logic Pro X 10.8.1 DOLBY ATMOS Facility/MPSE Motion Picture Sound Editors Avid Certified Professional ProTools/Dolby ATMOS
Old 07-08-2022, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Carnes View Post
They're probably going to have to work with developers to get a critical mass of plugins working in Native mode. And of course they have tons of their own plugins. It may be that they need a sandbox (Logic has one) where plugins can run under Rosetta, even when PT itself is native. Huge amount of work any way you look at it.
Agreed on your first points. I don't see Avid having the resources or hooks into the macOS to do what Logic does with AU plugins. That is deep system level stuff and only works on AU plugs. It's going to be everything native or everything in Rosetta IMO. Similar to what happened with 32 to 64 bit.
Genelec 1031AP/7070A 5.1 monitoring.
Old 07-10-2022, 06:14 AM

I know it won’t happen this way, but with the end of Apple using Intel, perhaps a new Pro Tools for Apple Silicone only is in order. By the time almost all plugins are native compatible, It might be less sloppy in the long run. I know there are still a huge number of Intel Macs, but the writing and direction is on the wall. My Trashcan is end of life and won’t be able to run Ventura OS X and Apple has no trouble dropping machines as they move forward. I doubt Apple will continue making OSX Intel compatible for to much longer as they turn out future OS and machines.
PT 2022.12 studio, Cubase 12 Pro, 12 Core Mac Pro 6,1 96GB OS X 12.6.6, Mac Mini i7 QC 16GB, Digico Soundgrid DLI, Revive Audio 96IO & 192 DBox & 2BussLT for summing, Waves, SoundToys and a pile of other plugins. NI Maschine/Komplete Ultimate 12 and many many, too many Kontakt Libraries.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmT..._as=subscriber
Old 07-12-2022, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoudBassTone View Post
My Trashcan is end of life and won’t be able to run Ventura
I hadn't heard that. It's unfortunate. The trashcan did have a good, long run though. They're solid with Monterey, and hopefully there won't be much pressure to update past that.
Old 07-12-2022, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoudBassTone View Post
I know it won’t happen this way, but with the end of Apple using Intel, perhaps a new Pro Tools for Apple Silicone only is in order. By the time almost all plugins are native compatible, It might be less sloppy in the long run. I know there are still a huge number of Intel Macs, but the writing and direction is on the wall. My Trashcan is end of life and won’t be able to run Ventura OS X and Apple has no trouble dropping machines as they move forward. I doubt Apple will continue making OSX Intel compatible for to much longer as they turn out future OS and machines.
I'm still on a cheesegrater with High Sierra. Still runs OK. I plan to switch at some point but if you don't need to be on the latest Apple OS then you still have some time. This is a studio only machine which I don't use for anything else. 2022.6 runs fine.

C
PT 2021.10 HDX 16x24 -Mac Pro 12 Cores 48 GB RAM OS 10.13.6 - API 16 channel - AMS Neve 16 channel, AMS-Neve-SSL -Pres/Processing, Bock Audio, BLUE Bottle, Neumann, Josephson -Mics, Bogner, Kemper- Guitar, Chandler Zener-Curve Bender Outboard/Master. UAudio, Waves, Plugin Alliance etc.
Old 07-14-2022, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Lie View Post
I'm still on a cheesegrater with High Sierra. Still runs OK. I plan to switch at some point but if you don't need to be on the latest Apple OS then you still have some time. This is a studio only machine which I don't use for anything else. 2022.6 runs fine.

C
Although completely unsupported by anyone, an appropriately configured 5,1 can run Big Sur and Monterey. I'm at Big Sur 11.6.7 and run PT 2022.6 flawlessly. I plan on going to Monterey only after it's frozen by Apple for functional updates when Ventura is released (I did the same with Catalina to Big Sur). That will likely be the end of the line OS wise for the 5,1.
Genelec 1031AP/7070A 5.1 monitoring.
Old 07-14-2022, 11:10 AM

I just went the OpenCore path and brought my 5,1 12-core to 12.4 on a second boot drive. (hoping to bridge even more time until the M1/M2 dust has settled)

The Netflix Sol Levante test session runs at around 67% CPU at 1024 buffer.

All seemed fine. Will see how it behaves over the next weeks.

Good thing is I can now install the supported BM drivers recommended by AVID to work around massive video errors I was getting on 22.6 with Mojave.

F.
Old 07-14-2022, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Kruse View Post
I just went the OpenCore path and brought my 5,1 12-core to 12.4 on a second boot drive. (hoping to bridge even more time until the M1/M2 dust has settled)

The Netflix Sol Levante test session runs at around 67% CPU at 1024 buffer.

All seemed fine. Will see how it behaves over the next weeks.

Good thing is I can now install the supported BM drivers recommended by AVID to work around massive video errors I was getting on 22.6 with Mojave.

F.
Glad to hear that Frank!