Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Licensing & Accounts

Closed Thread

Old 12-19-2021, 11:36 AM

Location: Lake Arrowhead, CA, USA, Planet Earth, Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy
Default Bought 1 year subscription - does not renew my subscription

Hi,

I just paid for a 1 year subscription direct from your website, for my expired Pro Tools license. It is one of the available options for me on your website.

IT DID NOT UPDATE MY LICENSE.

I also accidentally had bought a RENEWAL for one year from Sweetwater, and CANNOT USE THE CODE EITHER.

SO I just sank $400 bucks to try to renew my expired license, and am extremely pissed off right now.

I do hope you, Avid, cleans this up. Legally, isn't the word RENEWAL for expired licenses? And CONTINUATION for existing active licenses?

I am not happy right now. You need to make it more clear for us users that prefer to renew every two years, as we do not use your Pro Tools as often.

WARNING: If you blame me, I will demand a full refund from both $199.00 expenditures. Your marketing and descriptions of your options too renew are MISLEADING. And don't give me the ******** of "
software sales are final" as I am buying a SUBSCRIPTION, not the software itself.

I hope you can clear this up.

PS DARRYL: I have an open case now, and I hope they help clear this up. If they cannot, then I am pretty much done with Avid. Their crazy subscription / perpetual / constantly chargin customers for the "privilage" of using their stuff is really nutso.

Last edited by noeqplease; 12-19-2021 at 12:06 PM. Reason: spelling.
Old 12-19-2021, 11:49 AM

Default Re: Bought 1 year subscription - does not renew my subscription

BRAVO. Way to go to get help from a user forum.

A subscription is... wait for it... a subscription, something that works for a fixed time and then goes away. It's not a renwal/update of a perpetual license.

You must have missed where to file a support case for Avid store help, ... here you go: https://www.avid.com/learn-and-suppo...-music-support If you get a case number post here and it may help Avid staff who follow up. You should probably focus your request for the store to simply refunding the purchase mistake you made.

And if you made a mistake and purchased the wrong product at Sweetwater why are you complaining about it here? Go complain to Sweetwater about how they describe stuff and ask for a refund from them. And if you really are lost and don't have a clue what you're doing, pick up the phone and talk with a live sales rep at Sweetwater (or if me I'd prefer Vintage King), and if they ever mess up I expect them to help resolve problems ASAP.

I suspect you might have purchased the correct product, or at least a more correct product, from Sweetwater so go call a live sales rep there about why it's not working, maybe your have a way out of date version of Pro Tools that does no qualify, or maybe it' an NFR version, or education version (I have no idea what the education upgrade options are) or something else weird.

And you decide to whine about your own mistakes instead of just stating clearly exactly what version of Pro Tools you have now and exact what product name/SKUs/link to web page you have purchased and asking for help so... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 12-19-2021 at 12:08 PM.
Old 12-19-2021, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
BRAVO. Way to go to get help from a user forum.

A subscription is... wait for it... a subscription, something that works for a fixed time and then goes away. It's not a renwal/update of a perpetual license.

You must have missed where to file a support case for Avid store help, ... here you go: https://www.avid.com/learn-and-suppo...-music-support

And if you made a mistake and purchased the wrong product at Sweetwater why are you complaining about it here? Go complain to Sweetwater about how they describe stuff and ask for a refund from them. And if you really are lost don't have a clue what you're doing, pick up the phone and talk with a live sales rep at Vintage King or Sweetwater, and if they ever mess up I expect them to help resolve problems ASAP.

I suspect you might have purchased the correct product, or at least a more correct product, from Sweetwater so go call a live sales rep there about why it's not working, maybe your have a way out of date version of Pro Tools that does no qualify, or maybe it' an NFR version or something weird... but you decide to whine about your own mistakes instead of just stating clearly exactly what you have and exact what product name/SKUs/link to web page you have purchased and asking for help so... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Thanks for the condescension, I hope it completely solves the problem for me. I did in fact purchase what Avid recommends in this case. This:

https://avid.secure.force.com/pkb/ar...t-new-versions

Last edited by noeqplease; 12-19-2021 at 12:03 PM. Reason: adding context
Old 12-19-2021, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noeqplease View Post
Thanks for the condescension, I hope it completely solves the problem for me. I did in fact purchase what Avid recommends in this case. This:

What *exact* version of Pro Tools do you have? Version number? LE, standard, HD or Ultimate? Educational license? Give some clue...

You clearly are lost and should not be trying to work this out for yourself. I just wish people would call a damn sales rep at a reseller when in your position.

Avid currently has a special promotion running to update perpetual licenses. If you want to keep you perpetual license you should be purchasing that (before it ends the end of this month). Here: https://www.avid.com/pro-tools/upgrades-and-renewals .

You need to pick the "Pro Tools 9 or later..." option unless you have a current update support plan. (I expect you have an expired support/update plan)
If you don't buy this before the offer ends the end of this month it might never be available again and then you will need to change to a subscription. Or at least that's the inducement from Avid.. but I'd not play chicken with that and I'd take the offer if I had an expired perpetual license. Note also as a part of that renewal you now get the Avid Complete Plugin Bundle and Heat. I think that Plugin Bundle is a very nice package... just personally could not imagine using Pro Tools without it.

What you are looking at is an old KB article that should have been disabled given there is currently the short term special promo of perpetual license reinstatements available in the link I gave you above. Not good that was there, thanks for pointing this out. It's a bit late now but if jeffro@avid sees this hopefully he can kill that KB article for the rest of this month. Frustrating you got messed up by that.

If you purchase stuff on Sweetwater for a renewal I expect you likely purchased a renewal for an active update plan, not the old Pro Tools 9 and later updates for expired plans. Again this is all basic basic stuff for a sales rep to help you with.

If you don't come into a user forum with guns blazing behave like an idiot you won't get condescending replies. This forum is full of other users, we don't work for Avid, and folks are typically not shy about criticizing Avid when they feel it's needed. Also here are some Avid staff, who provide a great service to the community, it's not the formal way to communicate with Avid support for that you file a support case.

And of course companies want to look after you and should provide refunds for incorrect purchases, especially if they have stuff less than clear, and you should be asking for refunds... but it might take folks to do extra work for you to make that happen quickly.. so maybe ask for this nicely will get you help faster.

And on top of all this, make very sure that what you want to upgrade to is compatible with your operating systems, third party plugins etc. Start here: https://avid.secure.force.com/pkb/ar...tibility-Chart
Old 12-19-2021, 12:48 PM

And if you purchased the wrong product on the Avid store.. I would start now by filing a support case, request a refund in that, and post the incident number here.
Old 12-19-2021, 12:59 PM

Quote:
And if you purchased the wrong product on the Avid store.. I would start now by filing a support case, request a refund in that, and post the incident number here.

Thanks, sorry for the anger. I did as this FAQ recommends, buying option 1:

I did file a support case. I don't mind if they fix it, to just use the 1 extra year I bought from Sweetwater to extend my plan to two years.

The case number is: 04317865.

I'll post here what happens with this. I followed their instructions... it is just frustrating to see it not work. I have renewed before with expired licenses, and it worked as expected. If they changed their policy or the type of subscription to purchase, it would have been nice to know right on my product page, instead of having to dig deep into their FAQs etc.

I have 5 other Pro Tools licenses, most of which do not have ANY update purchase options (older TDM licenses), and only one Pro Tools which I have kept updated, which is where the issue is. It expired in March of 2020.

I still believe they should NOT offer renewal purchase options on a customer's product page, if it is NOT going to work as expected. It is just taking money from the customer, and making us frustrated. Instead they could work on putting the correct update / upgrade on our product page to begin with, and make it impossible to buy the wrong option at all. I am sure this is easy to code into their website, as it is just a drop down menu of purchasable options.

Cheers.
Old 12-19-2021, 01:08 PM

Quote:
What *exact* version of Pro Tools do you have? Version number? LE, standard, HD or Ultimate? Educational license? Give some clue...

You clearly are lost and should not be trying to work this out for yourself. I just wish people would call a damn sales rep at a reseller when in your position.

Avid currently has a special promotion running to update perpetual licenses. If you want to keep you perpetual license you should be purchasing that (before it ends the end of this month). Here: https://www.avid.com/pro-tools/upgrades-and-renewals .

You need to pick the "Pro Tools 9 or later..." option unless you have a current update support plan. (I expect you have an expired support/update plan)

My Pro Tools was last at version 2019.xx Standard. Originally it was a PT9 when I bought it new, and kept updating it until March 2020.

I hope they can help with this. Being as today is a Sunday, there are no live people to talk to. I am also keeping Sweetwater in the loop about what I bought from them.

One day I hope Avid makes their update options simpler and with clearer naming. Like, you know, most other DAW manufacturters... who offer ONE update upgrade option, not 3 or 4 as Avid does.
Old 12-19-2021, 01:34 PM

Yep so a 2019 perpetual with expired update support plan you need to purchase that "Pro Tools 9 or later .... with expired..." update. And do it before the end of month.

None of the Avid store is how I'd ideally do this. I'd want to have you connect, let the store see your iLok account and offer only the appropriate options. That might be a huge amount of work, but i how it should have been done. And I am not sure the Avid>MyProducts update notices is anything better than broken. It has different behavior if license were brought direct or through resellers and I don't know if it captured this current renewal/update promotion and advertised that to users. All this is why I really hope folks who are not clear will call a sales rep at a good company who knows this stuff (and if an individual rep does not know they have good resources internally they can check with).
Old 12-19-2021, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Yep so a 2019 perpetual with expired update support plan you need to purchase that "Pro Tools 9 or later .... with expired..." update. And do it before the end of month.

None of the Avid store is how I'd ideally do this. I'd want to have you connect, let the store see your iLok account and offer only the appropriate options. That might be a huge amount of work, but i how it should have been done. And I am not sure the Avid>MyProducts update notices is anything better than broken. It has different behavior if license were brought direct or through resellers and I don't know if it captured this current renewal/update promotion and advertised that to users. All this is why I really hope folks who are not clear will call a sales rep at a good company who knows this stuff (and if an individual rep does not know they have good resources internally they can check with).

Maybe, I just have to wait for Avid to get back to me, hopefully tomorrow.

I still believe it should not be up to the customer to navigate these complex options. It should be IMHO the job of the company to make it simple and easy to stay up to date with their product. I don't know of any other DAW company that makes it this complicated. It is partially why I do not use Avid full time anymore. I just want to keep this one license up to date so I can open client's work, or deliver in Pro Tools format if needed. I've been a Pro Tools user since 1996. And each time they change updating things, it is a true headache to keep up. Why Avid does this, well, I can only surmise whoever came up with 4 options for updates was trying to be helpful. And here we are.

"None of the Avid store is how I'd ideally do this."

Then why have an online store at all, if every time we have to call someone up to parlay some sort of solution?

I followed what I thought was the right purchase, which also was an available option to me on their web store... only to find out that "no, maybe not after all."

Incredibly time wasting and frustrating, and I refuse to have to keep doing this every time, and also I do not want to have to be updating every single year, when really, big updates are coming out every 2-3 years.

Happy holidays, I'll let you know what happens with this.
Old 12-20-2021, 09:52 AM

Thankfully, Sweetwater is helping correct this bungled mess.

They stated that nearly 75% of updates and upgrades are messed up, because of Avid's horribly confusing options. There are too many!

I also heard back from Avid, they will refund the incorrect purchase aFTER Sweetwater resolves the issue.

Will post here once this is resolved.