Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools

Old 11-08-2022, 11:38 AM

Default Processing Speed of AAX, Terribly Slow

After using my M1 Max Mac Studio and comparing it to my old "Intel" iMac there's one really bad pain point in the switch: I use several plugins that are of utmost important to me but have terrible performance. Acon Deverberate 3 and Smart EQ3, specifically, run absolutely terribly under the AAX platform. These are marvelous plugins but just are so slow as to be unusable in Protools. What's interesting is that in Apples Garage Band using the AU version of the plugin they run (I did a timed test) about 6 times faster using the AU plugin platform in GarageBand. It's crazy how much faster they can process audio. Even the graphics are smoother. Now, whether this is a ProTools bug or not or something to do with "Smart" plugins but AAX (in my opinion) is under massive attack from Apple. AU simply runs better on M-based machines. So now I'm having to export audio files to Garage band for signal processing because Avid can't use the Audio Units version of plugins in their software. Hate the say this but I'm beginning to see the irrelevance of the AAX software if AU continues to totally decimate the performance of AAX plugins, this is especially true with the new M-series Apple's. Really hoping this improves with new ProTools release and/or software updates but I'm wondering if Avid could integrate the AU version of plugins in ProTools whether that would solve this speed problem. Or maybe when Avid's FINALLY goes native. Either way, a frustrated user here. Time is money.
Old 11-08-2022, 11:44 AM

Default Re: Processing Speed of AAX, Terribly Slow

You do realise PT/AAX is not running natively on Apple Silicon, don't you?
Old 11-08-2022, 02:05 PM

Possible workaround:
If you want to try hosting your AU plug-ins in Pro Tools, there’s a free Mac demo of BlueCat’s PatchWork, which includes PatchWork Synth for VIs:
https://www.bluecataudio.com/Product...Work/#Download
Blue Cat's PatchWork is a universal plug-ins patch bay that can host up to 64 VST, VST3, Audio Unit or built-in plug-ins into any Digital Audio Workstation (DAW) in one instance.

It is possible to chain effects in series or create up to 8 parallel chains that can be activated independently. This lets you create your favorite effects or instruments configurations within the plug-in, without the need for multiple busses. These configurations can be saved as presets and recalled instantly, or shared with multiple DAWs, using any plug-in format (full list below). Use the built-in audio effects to add color to your own plug-in chains:
https://youtu.be/g44iPZLfXIk?list=PL...q_AzahD-RaqsqI

https://www.bluecataudio.com/Doc/Product_PatchWork/
Manual:
https://www.bluecataudio.com//Vault/...ork/manual.pdf
Old 11-08-2022, 02:32 PM

It's very likely due to certain processes running under Rosetta. Most things seem to run well, some just don't. There's certainly nothing inferior or irrelevant about AAX itself. I would not expect Avid to ever support AU.
Old 11-08-2022, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unkJE View Post
Possible workaround:
If you want to try hosting your AU plug-ins in Pro Tools, there’s a free Mac demo of BlueCat’s PatchWork, which includes PatchWork Synth for VIs:
https://www.bluecataudio.com/Product...Work/#Download
Blue Cat's PatchWork is a universal plug-ins patch bay that can host up to 64 VST, VST3, Audio Unit or built-in plug-ins into any Digital Audio Workstation (DAW) in one instance.

It is possible to chain effects in series or create up to 8 parallel chains that can be activated independently. This lets you create your favorite effects or instruments configurations within the plug-in, without the need for multiple busses. These configurations can be saved as presets and recalled instantly, or shared with multiple DAWs, using any plug-in format (full list below). Use the built-in audio effects to add color to your own plug-in chains:
https://youtu.be/g44iPZLfXIk?list=PL...q_AzahD-RaqsqI

https://www.bluecataudio.com/Doc/Product_PatchWork/
Manual:
https://www.bluecataudio.com//Vault/...ork/manual.pdf
Thanks fantastic suggestion. I'll definitely give this a try since it might be years before Avid or the software makers support M-based machines natively.
Old 11-08-2022, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan W. View Post
Thanks fantastic suggestion. I'll definitely give this a try since it might be years before Avid or the software makers support M-based machines natively.

Plugin makers are currently testing AS native ports of their AAX plugins on an AS native version of PT.

It’s more likely a matter of months. Definitely not years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-08-2022, 09:48 PM

You could argue that AAX is a superior format because it's generally more closely regulated than others. Speaking more specifically about speed, as others have already said there's nothing about AAX that should cause it to operate more slowly relative to other formats.
Old 11-08-2022, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sardi View Post
Plugin makers are currently testing AS native ports of their AAX plugins on an AS native version of PT.

It’s more likely a matter of months. Definitely not years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It does seem relatively close. More often than not, when I check on plugin updates there's a Silicon version available. That was far from being true just a couple months ago. There will be a few long-time holdouts, but PT itself must be getting close.