Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 07-23-2004, 12:10 PM

Default \"active in background\" missing in Pro Tools 6?

we're finally moving up to OSX and are testing out Pro Tools 6.

Active in Background is missing from the Operations menu. we have 6.2.3 on one side with AVXL and 6.4 on another systeem and this menu item is missing from both. we need this functionality to preview SFX with SoundLog Pro and Quicktime.

i've searched the DUC, read all the addendums post-6.0 and can't find any documentation explaining what happened to it. the PT6 manual refers to the menu item but it's not there. am i going blind?!

thanks in advance,
matt
Old 07-23-2004, 12:28 PM

Default Re: \"active in background\" missing in Pro Tools 6?

Long explanation, but basically, OS X is a true multi-tasking system. Each application gets its own memory space and the system allocates processor time to each application, so you can be doing a download in one application and switch to another and do something else. PT will automatically work in the background if you switch to another app. Start a song and then switch. It will keep playing. You can even record in the background. This is one of the significant benefits of moving from OS 9 to OS X. No longer does one app take up the entire processing power of the computer...
Old 07-23-2004, 06:36 PM

It is missing, you are not overlooking it. For whatever the reason, this functionality doesn't exist with PT v6.x. If you are using a console, such as the O2R, I would take the Mac's built-in output and connect it to 2TR-A2. Choose that as your monitoring source, and you can hear your SFX. Switch back to ST, and you hear Pro Tools.
Old 07-24-2004, 12:23 PM

phew, thanks guys.

so i guess i'm experiencing some other sort of problem. when i switch out out of pro tools to hear a clip in quicktime, i'm only hearing it out the speakers on my g4. in the sound panel i have digidesign HW selected as my output and i've enabled quicktime in the coreaudio preferences but still getting nothing out of our front wall. we could bring it back in on an aux into pro tools but i'd rather avoid taking up two more inputs if there's a way to make it work.
Old 07-24-2004, 12:35 PM

Quote:
phew, thanks guys.

so i guess i'm experiencing some other sort of problem. when i switch out out of pro tools to hear a clip in quicktime, i'm only hearing it out the speakers on my g4.
Uh.. Read PAGE 1 of the Core Audio Driver Usage Guide!

Rail
••••••••••••••••••••••••••••