Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Virtual Instruments

Old 02-01-2021, 01:37 PM

Default MIDI Weirdness ?

(accidentally posted to PT 2020)

I have 3 MIDI interfaces and can't seem to sort out address issues. Probably simple for someone who isn't me. I'm new to doing MIDI things, so no expert here.

The first device is a Behringer BCF2000 control surface that's connected via USB cable, and works great.

Next is a Focusrite 18i20 (3rd gen) interface connected from its MIDI IN to the MIDI OUT on my Yamaha E-drums. I use a dtExplorer kit to drive Steven Slate Drum samples, and it does quite well. I do get some warning about a "potential feedback loop" with the Slate Drums, so I'm not sure what that's all about (yet).

The next is a MIDI-USB cable connected with a Korg Kross MIDI I/O that I use for driving my virtual keyboards.

Here's where the problem begins. Right now I'm trying to drive an Arturia Mellotron, but the keyboard tries to play the drum samples instead. The e-drums still play the samples normally as well.

IF I have only a keyboard instrument track, then the keyboard works fine with the Mellotron etc. It's just that 2 things aren't going separate places.

I try futzing with the MIDI assignments, like put the Kross on ch 8, set the track accordingly, but no joy. Everything shows up in the MIDI device list as expected. I've tried the default-thru setting in MIDI Preferences for different instruments, but no joy there either other than the instrument set as the default-thru.

Appreciate any suggestions, FAQ pointers I couldn't find, etc. I don't seem to have this issue in my other DAWs. Frustrating !!!

Thanks !
Old 02-02-2021, 04:51 AM

Default Re: MIDI Weirdness ?

I'm no fan of USB MIDI; it tends to be a little hairier debugging issues. And if there's a m ix of USB MIDI and 5 pin MIDI it becomes interesting. How do you have things connected? Is it one chain of the keyboard to the drum brain to the Focusrite? Or what? If you have things in a chain check to see that what devices that are in the middle support MIDI through on the connection. That will allow the device at the start of the chain to send it's MIDI messages unmolested through the device in the middle to the end destination. Also make sure you have things on separate MIDI channels.

QAPLA!
Old 02-02-2021, 06:13 AM

Trash Pro Tools preferences and start again using the PT Prefs app.

If you want you can try trashing only the MIDI prefs. It is clearer which sections to find them for PT 10 and earlier in the app but just go for all of them and start again if needed.

It is not likely an issue of the Mac Audio MIDI Setup as that would relate to all apps but rather your issue is Pro Tools specific.

Stephen

https://www.waves.com/r/djgsi6
Old 02-02-2021, 07:23 AM

Since you never mentioned the platform, all I can offer is advice for Windows. 1-(the easy one), for the Yamaha kit, disconnect the midi cable going from the interface midi OUT to the DTX midi IN(now you can't cause a feedback loop). The only reason to have that cable connected would be to use the sounds in the DTX brain).

2-to prevent the Korg from "driving" the drum sounds, go into Setup>Midi>Midi Studio and do some small changes. This setup window should show 2 "instruments"(the Korg and the Yamaha kit). for the Yamaha kit, set the midi INPUT PATH for channel 10 only(channel 10 being accepted as the usual channel from drum/percussion use). The output channel can be set for 10 only, or don't select any(if you don't need to send midi back to the DTX).

3-for the Korg(in the same setup page), select all channels EXCEPT 10.

4-Go to VIEW>Mix Windows Shows> and show Instrument. THis opens a row across the top of the MIX window. On your instrument tracks, you can select which controller(Korg or Yamaha) for each track. Doing this should allow the DTX to trigger ONLY drums, and the Korg to trigger anything else(by default, Midi and Instrument tracks will receive midi from ALL, which means any incoming midi).

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 02-02-2021, 07:51 AM

Thanks to you, musicman691, and Stephen. I'll look at that.

I'm sorry I forgot to mention Windows 10, and Pro Tools 2020. I know there are some PT prefs in Windows under the AppData ("roaming/Avid/Pro Tools") folder, so maybe I'll look at that too. There is a MIDI device prefs file, so that's easy to trash.

Midi Studio isn't showing anything, and I haven't set up any instruments there. There are no presets for the Korg Kross nor dtxplorer anyway. The MIDI devices box does show that the interfaces are active.

My Korg has MIDI in - out connections, and that is connected to the computer via a MIDI-USB cable. My dtxplorer only has MIDI out, which goes to the Focusrite MIDI interface. My BCF2000 has MIDI in - out - thru ports, but I"m connecting that via USB with no issues, and it works fine.

I also have a Yamaha SY-35 that I haven't connected yet, and it has MIDI in - out - thru as well. I want to add it eventually, but maybe I'll sub it out for the Korg. I CAN set it up as a MIDI instrument, as there is a preset for it on their list.

In the interest of simplifying, I'll try setting addresses and daisy-chain the drums & synth with a 5-pin MIDI cable and ditch the USB-MIDI cable.

Again, appreciate your replies and ideas !!!
Old 02-06-2021, 08:31 AM

Well, in the effort to clean things up with multiple MIDI gadgets, I added a MOTU micro lite and that helps, but....... It's still not working and very frustrating. (again, PT 2020 on Windows 10 Pro)

I just don't' get it. Everything wants to play my drums no matter what LOL !!!

I set up 3 instrument tracks (stereo). On the micro-lite, I have a Korg synth in MIDI Port 1, a Yamaha synth in MIDI Port 2, and Yamaha e-drums in MIDI Port 3. MIDI Preferences for the Default Thru connection is set for "first selected MIDI track." If I change it to "none," then nothing plays.

The instrument tracks are Slate Drums (assigned to the e-kit), a Waves Grand Rhapsody Piano (assigned to Korg synth), and an Arturia Mellotron (assigned to the Yamaha synth).

The Korg is set internally to MIDI Ch 1, Yamaha synth set to MIDI CH 2, and the Yamaha drums are MIDI CH 10 according to Yamaha customer service.

Any of them set up alone will work fine, but nothing works together. One other strange thing is that I can't set the Slate track to record-enable either, but the other 2 instruments can.

It doesn't matter how I set them up in "MIDI Devices" only the drums play. There's even no difference if there's *nothing* in Midi Devices, either.

How hard does it have to be? I go into my other DAW (Mixbus32c) and I get it all done in 5 minutes. In only a couple more minutes, I have an added Garritan string section playing while also assigned to the piano as well. IOW, they were all ACTIVE simultaneously! Is it too much to expect for Pro Tools to do this as well?

What else am I missing here? This just doesn't seem straightforward. I really want to believe this can work somehow. People have to be doing this on a major basis everyday somewhere, what's the secret???
Old 02-07-2021, 01:31 PM

Solved at last. DOH!

I never saw anything about having to put the tracks in "record enable" mode, but stumbled across that after going back to RTFM and doing a couple more searches. Everything plays independently once that happens.

Now I can have several virtual instruments playing happily and staying in their lanes. Mission totally accomplished !

I knew it had to be a lot easier than what I was trying to do, but that can probably be said for a lot of things LOL.

Thank you all !