Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-28-2004, 05:51 AM

Default mixing drums

I put a mic on the kick, snare, two overheads, and a room mic. Should the kick and snare be more upfront when mixing and just filter in a little of the overheads and room, or have the overheads and room up with just a little snare and kick?
Old 10-28-2004, 08:13 AM

Default Re: mixing drums

Yes.

Or you could have lots of room and very little of the rest, or lots of O/H and very little of the rest, or just close mics, or just O/H, etc...

Whatever sounds right. I like to get most of my sound happening with the O/H's and fill in with close mics. There's also a lot of variation to be had by moving the kit about the room. Also, different preamps on the drum mics, different compressors with different settings, etc.
Old 10-28-2004, 09:03 AM

Kind of an open-ended question there, without considering the other instrumentation or genre of music, but if we're talking guitar-driven rock, then here goes:

Definitely agree with getting the overheads sounding good, and going from there. Typically, my order is overheads, then kick, then snare, the toms, then room(s). Also, don't waste time by EQing a track while having it solo-ed until after you get a good starting mix. Instead, EQ tracks as you bring them into the mix. And do some panning before you even touch an EQ.

I've often found that scooping out the midrange (500-600 Hz) with a medium Q makes toms, bass, and snare drums less "boxy" and more "full". Of course, if you're going for a lo-fi, "garage-y" sound, that might not be the best approach.
Old 10-29-2004, 09:56 AM

What Naagzh said ! Very good advices.

Also consider listening in mono while doing your level and EQ'ing.
It has to sound right in mono first. For me the amount of ambient/closemic is very related to the other instruments too. So try to listen with the bass, inside the whole mix, and just make some music

It's hard to talk about filtering without knwowing your config (mics etc...), but more than often I filter the OH under 100Hz, and cut the "lowmud" (300-500hz).

And If you've got a good EQ, you can cranck some treble/sheen on OH, bring out the crack of the snare etc...
btw before the Audix D6, I was very often ending with a smiley curve for the kick.
Heavy pumpin' compression on room mic can work too, depending on the style.

But more importantly, try to not hit "record", until you are satisfied with the sound.

Salvator
Old 10-29-2004, 12:25 PM

I usually remove 300hz to 500hz from the snare, toms and kick..take that mud out. yeah, roll of the low end on the OH and hi hat, if your toms are mic'd. Sometimes take some lows out from the kick if Bass Guitar is using those lows. If the bass isnt using those low frequencies and has more pick or high end to it then, I might leave the low end in. Try having to drum auxs.. one aux over compressed/dirty with the bomb factory comp or waves renaissance comp and the other aux clean. I just do what ever sounds good to my ears....and thats the best advice I can give,,use your ears and figure what needs to be fixed and how to make it better. Also, drums that are tuned and a good drummer never hurt..hehe.
Mackie ONYX 800r