Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-13-2003, 01:07 PM

Default New iBook or Used PowerBook

I am getting ready to get a laptop & MBox to augment my home PT system, and was looking at the iBook G3 800. The specs are fine and the price decent, but it looks and feels flimsy. I would rather have a powerbook, but it is too pricey. After looking at the iBook in the store, I am tempted to try to buy a used powerbook on ebay for around the same price. I should be able to get a G3 powerbook of close to the same speed.
Since I have had no experience with Apple laptops, I was hoping that some of you might have some suggestions on which way I should go!

Thanks,

NP
Old 10-13-2003, 03:09 PM

Default Re: New iBook or Used PowerBook

Bump.....
Old 10-13-2003, 05:10 PM

I'd argue for a used 1Ghz G4 powerbook model, with plenty of L3 cache. True that PTLE isn't optimized for the G4, but you'll run out of steam quickly on an iBook, especially with an Mbox - which to me seems to have increased CPU overhead despite higher minimum buffer settings. Sessions that run OK on my 800Mhz DVI Tibook/002 seem to slow down a bit when I take them on the road with the same computer with the Mbox - so get the fastest computer you can.

Like this one...

Sample eBay G4 powerbook

(item used for illustration purposes only...)

If its still too steep, then an 800 like mine is still better than the G3 based iBook - IMHO.

Good luck and happy hunting...

Old 10-13-2003, 05:13 PM

Could you give us a little info? What OS do you want to work in? How involved are your sessions? Lots of plug-ins and tracks? Or just basic mixing and editing? (And you did mean a PowerBook G4, didn't you?)

I do a lot of stuff with my Mbox on a PowerBook G4 when I'm away from my home studio, though I'm sure the iBook would have served me just as well. Either would be a viable option if your sessions aren't too taxing.

If you're serious about a used PowerBook G4, keep in mind, the original versions of the TiBook did not wear well at all and were not particularly rugged. You may find the iBooks to feel flimsy, but the PowerBook would probably disappoint you as well. (If you actually did mean a PowerBook G3, you may find that the processor limitations would hold you back.)
Old 10-13-2003, 06:15 PM

Actually, I did mean G3. I don't want to do a lot of elaborate mixes, I just want to be able to take an Oxygen 8, OS 9.2, an MBox, my guitar an do some writing when I travel. This would let me have at least some usable material in a PT format when I get back to the studio. It would also be used for certain projects that I need to capture a vocalist or instrumentalist for an existing project who is out of town. Is any of this possible? This way I can have some of my MIDI files ready to go to put into my G4 at home when I return.

Thanks,

NP
Old 10-13-2003, 10:33 PM

G3 Powerbooks have a faster bus speed than the iBooks which makes a similarly spec'd G3 PB faster than an iBook. The G3's are a good deal and I've seen quite a few posts about users using them for Pro Tools use.
Old 10-16-2003, 12:07 AM

Ok, so I've about decided on a G3 Pismo 400. The thing is, I don't see them listed on the MBox compatability page. Anyone had success with these?

Thanks,

NP
Old 10-16-2003, 07:28 AM

I am currently borrowing an mBox to check out how it works on my Pismo Powerbook. I'll let you know... although I primarily only want to use it for editing, so I won't be using heavy plug in counts.
Old 10-16-2003, 08:07 AM

I'm pretty sure for the about the same price of new Ibook, you can get a used g4 powerbook on ebay for just a little more. If you can find one go for the Powerbook. You will be fine using the ibook, no problem but. Things will get a little rough if you try to record a lot all at once, or try to mix with a lot of tracks, and forget about trying to do anything to quicktime movie.
Certified Protools6.x Post-Production Operator